Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 573942 times)

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #3885 on: May 17, 2019, 01:44:23 AM »
 :ThumbsUp:

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3886 on: May 17, 2019, 04:40:18 PM »
Continuing on with the name plates, here is a batch for the engines and boiler doors ready for trimming down:

Some paint....

and the plates on the crowd engine:

Very happy with how they worked out!

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3887 on: May 17, 2019, 04:43:24 PM »
And back on the cab wall framing, made up another jig to hold the small square bar for cutting into the angle-iron shape needed for along the floor at the base of the wall:

A little hard to see in the photo - the second cut had been made, freeing up the small square at the bottom front, leaving the angle along the back and out on the top edge.

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #3888 on: May 17, 2019, 04:59:09 PM »
Continuing on with the name plates, here is a batch for the engines and boiler doors ready for trimming down:

Some paint....

and the plates on the crowd engine:

Very happy with how they worked out!

Hello Chris,

Boy those plates sure look good.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Online cnr6400

« Reply #3889 on: May 17, 2019, 05:17:27 PM »
Another great result! They really look the business when mounted on the engine!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Speaking of business - when do you plan to open up "Crueby Nameplate Division of ACME Industries" and offer custom nameplate manufacture to the model engineers in US and Canada?  :naughty: 

(could be MILLIONS to be made, but not sure if it is millions in cookie crumbs, or pennies, or Canadian Tire money, or ???) :Lol:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3890 on: May 17, 2019, 05:21:55 PM »
Another great result! They really look the business when mounted on the engine!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Speaking of business - when do you plan to open up "Crueby Nameplate Division of ACME Industries" and offer custom nameplate manufacture to the model engineers in US and Canada?  :naughty: 

(could be MILLIONS to be made, but not sure if it is millions in cookie crumbs, or pennies, or Canadian Tire money, or ???) :Lol:
Millions of bits of swarf!   :Lol:
Wait, already have that.... Dang....

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3891 on: May 17, 2019, 08:15:37 PM »
Back on the cab frame, cut and bent up a pile of roof cross beams from thin steel bar. I cut a wood pattern to bend them to - bent the arcs by hand till they matched the pattern, then a pair of pliers to put the sharp bends in the ends where they go down to fit into the C-channel. The straight bits at the end need to have a little taken off the width to fit into the channels, that is next...

The lengthwise roof beams will be notched to fit over these arched cross beams.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #3892 on: May 18, 2019, 05:31:35 AM »
Wow!  Those etched name plates came out really nice, Chris!

Kim

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #3893 on: May 18, 2019, 08:18:23 AM »
This is shaping up to be a masterpiece. No doubt about it.

:LittleAngel:

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3894 on: May 18, 2019, 10:07:57 PM »
Thanks guys!  No work on the Marion today, we had our first pond run of the season of the RC submarine group locally, here are some pictures from the pond:

Close air support from the Green Heron wing of the coast guard:

The fish were checking out my killer whale submarine (just like dogs, come up and sniff the, um, porthole)

Customs inspection

Whale checking that the coast is clear

Bruce came down from Canada with a couple subs, including this Seaview:

Variety of other subs too:

Fish chasing my Delphin:

Inside Bruce's other sub

and with the top on:

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #3895 on: May 19, 2019, 04:15:49 AM »
Hi Chris,
 Looks like a fun day out!
The Coast Guard Ariel wing didn’t do a bombing run on your fish subs then?

I remember Seaview on the box here about......must be ....... 50 years ago! Remember talking to another kid about ...do you think we could build a model of it? Never did, way above my skill level at the time....& probably pushing it now.

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3896 on: May 19, 2019, 12:47:19 PM »
Hi Chris,
 Looks like a fun day out!
The Coast Guard Ariel wing didn’t do a bombing run on your fish subs then?

I remember Seaview on the box here about......must be ....... 50 years ago! Remember talking to another kid about ...do you think we could build a model of it? Never did, way above my skill level at the time....& probably pushing it now.

Cheers Kerrin
Fortunately no bombing runs!  That Seaview is a fiberglass hull one of the guys in a Canadian group made. There are smaller versions in plastic that Mobius Models makes that many convert for RC. The yellow Flying Sub (FS1) in the pics is also by Mobius, from same TV show.

Offline kvom

« Reply #3897 on: May 19, 2019, 02:36:25 PM »
Does RC work at all if submerged?  Antenna above the water?

Online cnr6400

« Reply #3898 on: May 19, 2019, 03:23:22 PM »
Great looking subs Chris. Bruce's one in the last pics looks like it has lots of scale detail, I like it.

Like your Orca sub too. 
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3899 on: May 19, 2019, 09:45:48 PM »
Does RC work at all if submerged?  Antenna above the water?
The older 75Mhz and below stuff works fine in fresh water. I think the 433mhz (or is it 344?) works okay too. The newer 2.4Ghz sets do not, the signal bounces right off the water. For the lower frequencies, we can get down a good 10 feet, assuming we are in clear enough water to see that far. In pools, it depends what chemistry they are using and how clean it is, the combined salts cut the distance down to about 3 feet in the worst cases. Most of the sub guys have been scrounging the older sets, and scooping them up on ebay since most of the manufacturers have stopped making anything but 2.4Ghz these days. The newer stuff is great for toys since the can have lots sharing the signal space, no need for separate crystals, but they dont like to have the signal swimming...

We had a great time there yesterday, nice to get outside more again!

Funny side story - today I had to go over and replace the old garage door opener at my mothers house. Took down the old one, and saved the cross pin that holds the end of the track to the framing above the door. When putting up the new one, of course I dropped the pin, heard it bounce off the floor right below me and clank on the door. No problem, go down to get it.... Um, where did it go? 5 minutes of searching, flashlight in the corners, nothing....  Finally give up and go to use the newer bracket with a different size cross pin (of course), and spot the old one lying in the pile of nuts and bolts from the new opener, 4 feet in from the door! Must be she has some old shop elves that have gone feral, turned back into hoarding shop gnomes, and one of them started nesting with all the nice shiny hardware!!   :Lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal