Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 574474 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #3840 on: May 09, 2019, 02:26:26 AM »
Yes, I used vinyl tape to seal the back and other areas not to be etched.

Dave
Like vinyl electrical tape?

I've got a toner laser printer coming, going to pick up some of the sheets you pointed me at and give it a try!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3841 on: May 09, 2019, 09:19:25 PM »
Back in the shop a few times today, got the redesigned version of the hoist clutch valve base made, combining the old base with the fitting on the end of the drum shaft and rerouting the pipes. The old one worked, but it always looked like the wrong end of a shop gnome.   :o

So, new one is in and working, and I can get back to plumbing in the crowd engine!

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #3842 on: May 10, 2019, 12:12:46 AM »
"Wrong end of a shop gnome", eh?

Is that similar to "the northbound end of a southbound moose"?

Just kidding, the hoist valve looks great!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3843 on: May 10, 2019, 12:23:28 AM »
"Wrong end of a shop gnome", eh?

Is that similar to "the northbound end of a southbound moose"?

Just kidding, the hoist valve looks great!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
Thats the idea!   ;)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3844 on: May 10, 2019, 12:31:31 AM »
Started laying out tubing and elbows for the crowd engine, leading up to the swivel fixture on the A-frame head. Looked through plans. Looked again.
 :facepalm2:
Forgot to include that fitting on the plan sheets!

:facepalm:
At least it is there in the 3D model, just need to include it in a drawing!   :wallbang:

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #3845 on: May 10, 2019, 11:00:57 AM »
At least it is there in the 3D model, just need to include it in a drawing!   :wallbang: 

At least you have done the major work here, though it is annoying to have forgot it in the shop drawing, it shouldn't take too long to edit the drawing. On all other accounts - you're doing fine on this great model  :praise2:
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 07:41:23 PM by Admiral_dk »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3846 on: May 10, 2019, 09:55:50 PM »
With the drawings sorted out, today I made up the swivel fitting to allow the steam pipe for the crowd engine to rotate with the turntable - this fitting will sit vertically on the turntable axis just below the A-frame head block. Here is a shot of the parts - the upper shell to the left, the o-ring sits inside the recess at its bottom end. The ring is a snug fit in the opening, and is also a sug fit on the lower pipe, which has a lip on it to keep it in place and also to keep the o-ring in place. Then there is a washer with holes for the mounting screws. This washer holds everything in place, but is a loose fit around the lower pipe so it can rotate freely.

The o-ring seals at both the inner and outer edges - this is the same kind of setup that the hoist clutch pipe has where it goes into the hoist drum axle, that is working fine so I am expecting this to as well.

Here it is all assembled, will fit into elbows top and bottom.

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #3847 on: May 11, 2019, 01:18:49 AM »
Just picture Don Adams , Agent 86 on "Get Smart" saying "Ohhhh, the old diametral sealing o-ring trick, eh?"

Then Barbara Feldon , Agent 99, would say "Don't forget the silicone grease, Max!"

>ahem<  :mischief: :Lol:

Just kidding, the rotating joint looks great!   :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3848 on: May 11, 2019, 01:36:03 AM »
Just picture Don Adams , Agent 86 on "Get Smart" saying "Ohhhh, the old diametral sealing o-ring trick, eh?"

Then Barbara Feldon , Agent 99, would say "Don't forget the silicone grease, Max!"

>ahem<  :mischief: :Lol:

Just kidding, the rotating joint looks great!   :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
Wow, that goes back a LONG way! Heres to keeping KAOS out of the shop!   :cheers:

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #3849 on: May 11, 2019, 01:48:18 AM »
At Christmas my wife got me a DVD set of a few Get Smart episodes just for laughs. Dumb, but funny.

No KAOS in the shop (or shovel), agreed!

As Siegfried of KAOS said "Schtachel! ve don't "PFFFT PFFFT" here!" He probably was talking about steam leaks..... :Lol:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3850 on: May 11, 2019, 08:25:26 PM »
And todays part is brought to you by the Lever!  Got the control lever and bracket for the crowd engine made - turned the handle from some tool steel strip material, soldered on the short bit at the end, drilled the holes, and finished shaping on the belt sander. The bracket around it was hot bent from thin steel bar.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #3851 on: May 11, 2019, 10:05:59 PM »
Crueby--That's a handsome lever if I ever did see one.---Brian

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3852 on: May 12, 2019, 07:55:06 PM »
Crueby--That's a handsome lever if I ever did see one.---Brian
Thanks Brian! I chucked the arm in the 4-jaw and turned the handle first, then moved it out 1/2" at a time to turn the rest. That gave the shape a nice symmetrical look.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3853 on: May 12, 2019, 07:58:15 PM »
Another bit made today - made the bracket that holds the pipe to the bottom of the A-frame head, with the swivel unit in line with the pivot axis of the turntable.

Few more elbows and short lengths of pipe to go to the side of the chain and down/back again to the inlet on the engine, which is right on the centerline of the boom. Makes for a few extra joints than if they had put the steam inlet out the side, but they did not so I did not...

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3854 on: May 13, 2019, 04:21:35 PM »
And we are there! After 3-1/2 months working on the slew/crowd engines, the second one is in place and ready for shakedown test!

:whoohoo:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IggqIC7PGsM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IggqIC7PGsM</a>
 :cartwheel:
Runs pretty well, took it slow on the first pass to figure out which direction on the control lever made the dipper go which direction. Very happy with how both engines worked out.   :pinkelephant:    These engines had some very new (to me) features that Marion invented, and I am very happy with how my small scale versions of the valving worked out - have yet to find another engine with this style reversing/throttle valve and double-decker D-valves. If anyone knows of any please let me know!

:DrinkPint:

Thanks again to all those who helped out with tips/advice, much appreciated!   :cheers:

Next steps could be in two different directions - okay, three.  The last remaining big parts to this model are the steering engine (smaller brother to the slew/crowd engines), the boiler + water tanks, and the cab.  I want a short break from the engine, and I need the cab in place to finish plumbing the crowd engine and install the ceiling mounted controls for the hoist/steering engines. So, think I will go that direction next. As I showed a week or so ago, I need to make a model truckload of C-shaped channel for the cab framework - picked up some more small slitting saw blades (the one I had left was large diameter and getting slightly dull), and the jig to hold the stock is ready, so I can jump on that.  I am also working on a side project for the logging museum in Maine, more on that when it is done....

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal