Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 573652 times)

Offline cnr6400

Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #3705 on: April 22, 2019, 05:16:34 PM »
Excellent tuning result Chris!  :cheers:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline JC54

• Grantham, Lincolnshire, UK
« Reply #3706 on: April 22, 2019, 09:48:14 PM »
I think you and the elves deserve a real gut busting slap up lunch.  :old: :DrinkPint:
When the Fun Stops,, Stop!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3707 on: April 22, 2019, 10:22:38 PM »
I think you and the elves deserve a real gut busting slap up lunch.  :old: :DrinkPint:
Was going to, but got a call from one of my boating buddies and we took the canoes out to the local creek for a run this afternoon instead, all the clouds cleared out and it was a great day on the water. A big swan was building a nest at one spot, did not see any of the Herons or Egrets this time out. There was a bald eagle hanging out there last week, probably moved on to the bay at the lake by now. The turtles have migrated back in too...  :Lol:
Good evening to watch a movie with the elves (the popcorn fights get pretty intense)...
 :cheers:

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #3708 on: April 22, 2019, 11:16:01 PM »
Quote....'I have a DVD of Marion shovels in use .......they would rather waste a little steam than crack a cylinder' ....Chris.....do you mean over powered?, or being used  [at speed] beyond their design?................[or slamming :killcomputer: the engine into reverse prior to achieving a stationary rotation or moment?]

We see so many examples [in model engineering] of Stephensons reversing gear being thrust into reverse prior to engine the engine rotation is at rest

[I am uning a pair of servo slowdowns....the 1st to slow the speed of the throttle speed to zero, then the second slow down the reversing motion....as common RC servos rotate at 60 degrees in say 0.2 seconds which is totally unrealistic :Director: as we are looking more for near 10x fold of that rotational speed]

Derek
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 11:24:15 PM by derekwarner_decoy »
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3709 on: April 22, 2019, 11:29:35 PM »
Quote....'I have a DVD of Marion shovels in use .......they would rather waste a little steam than crack a cylinder' Chris.....do you mean over powered?, or being used  [at speed] beyond their design?................[or slamming :killcomputer: the engine into reverse prior to achieving a stationary rotation or moment?]

We see so many examples [in model engineering] of Stephensons reversing gear being thrust into reverse prior to engine the engine rotation is at rest

[I am uning a pair of servo slowdowns....the 1st to slow the speed of the throttle speed to zero, then the second slow down the reversing motion....as common RC servos rotate at 60 degrees in say 0.2 seconds which is totally unrealistic :Director: as we are looking more for near 10x fold of that rotational speed]

Derek
Hi Derek - I was talking about two different machines there, the comments about the drain cocks and wasting steam were referring to the Lombard Log Hauler up at the museum in Maine, not the Marion shovels. When they are showing the Lombard at thier events, they are not pulling any load at all, so the machine at that point is WAY overpowered. They keep the drain cocks on the cylinder cracked open to prevent condensation buildup, both at rest and during slow speed running when giving rides. They usually run at only about 2 or 3 mph, and with no load the throttle is barely cracked open - the stephenson linkage is only out to the first detent, so lots of cutoff too. If they gave it full power at start, it would do a major burnout! When they taught me to run the thhrottle/etc controls, I was surprised at how little the steam had to be opened up, but it makes sense, under real use they were hauling many tons of logs, so on level ground with just some passengers in the back, it is just barely ticking over.   :)
Chris

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #3710 on: April 23, 2019, 12:29:05 PM »
Outstanding job Chris!
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline kvom

« Reply #3711 on: April 23, 2019, 12:50:27 PM »
It will be interesting to see how fast/slow the boom will move once these engines are hooked up.  The fact that you could slow the speed appreciably is encouraging.

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #3712 on: April 23, 2019, 01:04:48 PM »
Hi Chris,

What a labour of love. You must be very pleased. I'll bet the end game in your head of seeing that boom operate under power must be driving you on constantly.
What a project!

Cheers...John

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3713 on: April 23, 2019, 04:13:59 PM »
Thanks guys! Definitely looking forward to seeing the boom swing and dipper move under power, very glad it is running slower now or it would be a problem. The gearing will bring it down another 5:1 or so as I recall. Some other things took priority today, hope to get back in the shop more tomorrow again - with the weather improving outside stuff is  taking over!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #3714 on: April 23, 2019, 04:24:45 PM »
Awwwww the sound of success she purrrs like a kitten! Damn nice work Dog and great craftsmship.  :praise2: keep it coming!...... :ThumbsUp:

:popcornsmall:
Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3715 on: April 23, 2019, 11:29:54 PM »
Thanks Don!

No shop time at all today, wasted the day waiting on those dingleberries at the phone company to show up to fix my mother's phone cross town....   :cussing:

Sigh.  Time to curl up with the elves and watch a movie...! 

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #3716 on: April 23, 2019, 11:55:03 PM »
Phone companies - and cable/ satellite / fibre optic TV companies -  hopeless everywhere, it seems......... :rant: :rant: :rant:

Enjoy the movie!  :cheers:   

(don't forget the body armour in case the elves' popcorn fights escalate to frozen 6 oz wads of un-popped kernels in ice, fired from miniature trebuchets, again...)  :Lol:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3717 on: April 24, 2019, 12:02:35 AM »
Phone companies - and cable/ satellite / fibre optic TV companies -  hopeless everywhere, it seems......... :rant: :rant: :rant:

Enjoy the movie!  :cheers:   

(don't forget the body armour in case the elves' popcorn fights escalate to frozen 6 oz wads of un-popped kernels in ice, fired from miniature trebuchets, again...)  :Lol:

:Lol:   

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3718 on: April 24, 2019, 01:16:11 PM »
As promised, a video of the throttle in action. This starts in one direction, then switches to the other direction and shows the speed change with the throttle movements...
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJm4byF3RLo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJm4byF3RLo</a>

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3719 on: April 24, 2019, 08:54:23 PM »
This afternoon saw the second slew/crowd engine running - also threw in the main hoist engine in the video:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC61eChw35I" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC61eChw35I</a>
The third one has a piston o ring leak, need to fix that. I am not real happy with any of the o-rings on the pistons, going to re-visit the fit on them, may remake the piston heads on them all while I am at it (simple part, takes longer to pull the cylinder and reinstall it than to turn the piston again, and I would prefer a proper fit on them)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal