Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 574322 times)

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #3675 on: April 19, 2019, 01:06:08 AM »
Chris--No shame there. It happens at my house too. Change something that was designed right to work with another part that was---uh---Yeah, right!!

Online ozzie46

« Reply #3676 on: April 19, 2019, 01:55:53 PM »
Still following along. No shame there. I'm on my 6th try at a V-8 Crank!!!   :'( :'( :'(

Ron

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3677 on: April 19, 2019, 01:59:14 PM »
Still following along. No shame there. I'm on my 6th try at a V-8 Crank!!!   :'( :'( :'(

Ron
Like Edison said, now you know 5 ways not to make one. A v8 crank is quite a complex part! The cranks for this engine is the first time I have ever done a one-piece crank, was very nervous about it.

Online ozzie46

« Reply #3678 on: April 19, 2019, 02:07:12 PM »
That's true, and I just figured out that I was trying to machime them backwards. all along. Variuos miss cutsa ruined them but I just realized I had been cutting #1 throw at the fly wheel end. I'm really dense sometimes. :Lol: :Lol: :Lol:

Ron

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3679 on: April 19, 2019, 03:00:42 PM »
That's true, and I just figured out that I was trying to machime them backwards. all along. Variuos miss cutsa ruined them but I just realized I had been cutting #1 throw at the fly wheel end. I'm really dense sometimes. :Lol: :Lol: :Lol:

Ron
Thats what I was afraid of doing - had a crank 3D printed to use as a reference, it was still confusing at times!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3680 on: April 19, 2019, 06:44:53 PM »
The pairs of valve levers are remade, starting to install them. No new pics, they look just like the old ones, just a bit longer. Should be able to start timing the valves over the weekend, between other things going on...

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #3681 on: April 19, 2019, 11:04:44 PM »
The pairs of valve levers are remade, starting to install them. No new pics, they look just like the old ones, just a bit longer. Should be able to start timing the valves over the weekend, between other things going on...
Fudge to fit, paint to match. works every time. If every thing worked out right it would be boring.
Gerald.
PS you can aleays say it was the Elves.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3682 on: April 19, 2019, 11:58:56 PM »
Fudge to fit, paint to match. works every time. If every thing worked out right it would be boring.
Gerald.
PS you can aleays say it was the Elves.
Measure once, cut till it fits...   :Lol:

Gerald, we have our spring RC sub/boat run and picnic in a few weeks, you ought to come down!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3683 on: April 20, 2019, 08:54:39 PM »
Big step forward - got the valve sliders lapped and gaskets trimmed on the first of the engines, and got the  valves timed. Assembled it all (takes time with so many tiny parts so close together), and hooked up the compressor to it. Actually got about 5 seconds of running on it.   :cartwheel:   But, noticed some interference on the eccentric follower on the left bank, and want to remedy that before something catches and crashes on it. Also want to recenter the slider on the throttle valve, it is too far off one side and the rod is having to angle too much. So, will take part of it apart again and do those tweaks before continuing. But, it does show it CAN run!   :whoohoo:
I did not get any video of the brief run (the camera-elf got distracted by a shiny part on the other side I think), but here are a couple of  pictures of the assembled engine to keep you interested...

You can see the small drill chuck I put on the far end of the crank, makes it a lot easier to turn it over by hand.

More later, or tomorrow...   :cheers:

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #3684 on: April 20, 2019, 09:24:48 PM »
Wow that's looking great Chris! Glad to hear a steady runner is not far off.  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Re the eccentric link interference - as Stewart Hart has said, "a little clearance never got in the road."  :cheers:

I'm surprised the shop elves aren't getting in your way doing "par-kour" style post to post jumps on the steam chest studs!  :hellno:

(If they do, grease the ends when they aren't looking. Gravity and evil will do the rest.)  :LittleDevil:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #3685 on: April 20, 2019, 11:36:48 PM »
Hi Chris  Looking good  :popcorn: :popcorn:  can't wait to see them running ..

willy

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3686 on: April 21, 2019, 12:57:07 AM »
Wow that's looking great Chris! Glad to hear a steady runner is not far off.  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Re the eccentric link interference - as Stewart Hart has said, "a little clearance never got in the road."  :cheers:

I'm surprised the shop elves aren't getting in your way doing "par-kour" style post to post jumps on the steam chest studs!  :hellno:

(If they do, grease the ends when they aren't looking. Gravity and evil will do the rest.)  :LittleDevil:
I like that solution, turning gravity to the evil side!!   :Lol:

Though I think they got some advance revenge.... I was doing a small repair on a spring wound clock tonight, and made a mistake while letting down the spring. The key whipped around and did a drum solo on my fingertips, no serious damage aside from a gashed thumbnail, but wow, does that sting for a while!  :o   Time for some chocolate therapy! At least the clock is running well again.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #3687 on: April 21, 2019, 01:14:31 AM »
That's a nice looking little engine you've got there!  Lots of little parts crammed into a very small space!   :popcorn:
Kim

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #3688 on: April 21, 2019, 10:26:09 AM »
Relentless progress as ever!      Looking wonderful.              Terry

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3689 on: April 21, 2019, 05:22:49 PM »
Thanks guys!
During the test yesterday I noticed that the valve rods were binding vertically as the lever went back and forth - on the Lombard, I just connected the two together, the small arc the lever made during the movement was too small to worry about. But, on this engine the valve rod is much shorter from the lever to the steam chest, and the lever is a much smaller length, so the arc is more pronounced in its effect on the rod. So, took the levers to the high speed rotary tool and made the holes into slots, to let the shoulder bolt move up and down slightly. Got the first couple installed, it seems to have freed up the motion so I'll get things reassembled and make another test run in a while...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal