Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 588660 times)

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #3645 on: April 14, 2019, 03:57:50 PM »
Gotta stick up for Steamer5 on this one crueby.  Since the elves read the forum, and you posted the pictures, then YOU told the elves - not him.  No passing the buck on that one.

Don

Hi Don,
 Thanks for sticking up for me......I was just pointing out the error of Chris's ways & sheesh I got picked on!  :lolb: :lolb: :lolb:

Chris,
 Keep up the good work!

Oh IF the elves are outside have the taken the Lombard out for quick lap??

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3646 on: April 14, 2019, 06:03:34 PM »
Gotta stick up for Steamer5 on this one crueby.  Since the elves read the forum, and you posted the pictures, then YOU told the elves - not him.  No passing the buck on that one.

Don

Hi Don,
 Thanks for sticking up for me......I was just pointing out the error of Chris's ways & sheesh I got picked on!  :lolb: :lolb: :lolb:

Chris,
 Keep up the good work!

Oh IF the elves are outside have the taken the Lombard out for quick lap??

Cheers Kerrin
The weather here has been changing quickly between warm/sunny and cold/rainy/windy, so no Lombard trips around the driveway yet. Getting close to that though! I do have a newer burner that I picked up and want to try, see if it comes up to pressure quicker. Also thinking of disconnecting the exhaust tube and see if it breathes better - some of the discussions on other threads have me wondering if I had made the passages/tubes too small, since it does seem to have better power on compressed air than steam, thinking its getting back pressure from the expanding exhaust maybe.

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #3647 on: April 14, 2019, 06:07:35 PM »
Hi Chris,
 Glad we aren't the only ones have fun weather!

Sounds like you've got some playing to do. From discussion on loco breathing it sounds like you are on the right track. How much trouble to put in bigger pipes?

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3648 on: April 14, 2019, 06:35:37 PM »
Hi Chris,
 Glad we aren't the only ones have fun weather!

Sounds like you've got some playing to do. From discussion on loco breathing it sounds like you are on the right track. How much trouble to put in bigger pipes?

Cheers Kerrin
The exhaust pipe does narrow down at the base of the stack, not hard to increase it there. The pipes in/out of the cylinder, and all the way back to the throttle and boiler would be a royal pain in the elf. I'll see how the new burner works out first, and can unscrew the last elbow and pipe at the stack base, and start there. Hopefully that helps out - it does run, but doesnt have as much power at the tracks as I expected. Part of it is being able to keep up pressure in the boiler, the current burner isnt enough to keep it at pressure very long when the engine runs, and it takes a long time to recover, much more than my G1 locos. The burner should help a lot.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #3649 on: April 14, 2019, 10:47:44 PM »
fortunately its a nice warm day finally, and the elves are out chasing squirrels and forgetting what I did.

Very dependable aren't they?  ;D
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3650 on: April 15, 2019, 01:40:31 AM »
fortunately its a nice warm day finally, and the elves are out chasing squirrels and forgetting what I did.

Very dependable aren't they?  ;D
They (and we) are like that commercial with the guy teaching his dog to drive... "NO DUCKS! NO DUCKS!" as they drive into the pond...   :ROFL:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3651 on: April 15, 2019, 10:47:38 PM »
Not too much to show lately, been cutting the piles of studs for the cylinders/chests, and today made up the throttle linkages:

I put a row of holes in the lower links, to give me choices on connecting up the linkages and getting the right throw. Been burned on that in the past, design in the right length, and needed just that little more throw in the end, given how many links there are in the controls over such a long model.
Next I need to make up the gaskets, and can start final assembly and testing. Which always includes some disassembly, tweaking, reassembly, over and over...!

Online cnr6400

« Reply #3652 on: April 15, 2019, 11:52:16 PM »
Hi Chris, The engine in the pic looks great!   :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: I hear you about making the piles of studs bolts nuts etc. for multiple engines. Also about play at pivots in linkages. At about 0.1 mill limiters play in each joint, it only takes 5 joints and you have half a mill limiter slop! In engine terms - big enough to drive a truck through - or for a valve not to get kicked off a port.....  :facepalm:

Snug pins in links are best of course but then it's a job to get things to move smoothly. But when they do.........   :whoohoo:

Just think though - in a few weeks the sun will be out, the coats will be hung up and the only throw we will care about is the one from the mound to home at the local park, and the only links we will care about are the sausage ones on the BBQ!  :naughty:   :cheers:  (He said, as he watched snowflakes fall on 15 Apr 2019!)

I'll tell you the story about how mill limiters got their name another day.   :Lol:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #3653 on: April 15, 2019, 11:55:21 PM »
Chris....have re-read :happyreader:, maybe I missed it........will this arm be re-positioned 'upwards' & how is this arm secured on the rotation axis?..........

Derek
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3654 on: April 16, 2019, 12:50:51 AM »
Chris....have re-read :happyreader: , maybe I missed it........will this arm be re-positioned 'upwards' & how is this arm secured on the rotation axis?..........

Derek
Hi Derek

That arm stays down. It connects to the control lever at the operator station via a lever which comes up through the floor. The rod it turns has the vertical lever in the center which will move the center slide valve, which is the throttle and fwd and reverse for the engine. I will show all that once it is all connected up.

Chris

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3655 on: April 16, 2019, 12:53:09 AM »
Hi Chris, The engine in the pic looks great!   :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: I hear you about making the piles of studs bolts nuts etc. for multiple engines. Also about play at pivots in linkages. At about 0.1 mill limiters play in each joint, it only takes 5 joints and you have half a mill limiter slop! In engine terms - big enough to drive a truck through - or for a valve not to get kicked off a port.....  :facepalm:

Snug pins in links are best of course but then it's a job to get things to move smoothly. But when they do.........   :whoohoo:

Just think though - in a few weeks the sun will be out, the coats will be hung up and the only throw we will care about is the one from the mound to home at the local park, and the only links we will care about are the sausage ones on the BBQ!  :naughty:   :cheers:  (He said, as he watched snowflakes fall on 15 Apr 2019!)

I'll tell you the story about how mill limiters got their name another day.   :Lol:

Agree on the weather and the links. We keep alternating between snow and warm days. Lawns are growing, but no leaves out yet. First sub run at the pond in 3 weeks, with picnic.

:cheers:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3656 on: April 16, 2019, 07:59:28 PM »
Working on making up all the gaskets - using the covers/caps as drill guides for the holes, then cutting around the edges...

Once they are all done, I think that I am ready to go through and do all the final fitting/tweaking to get all the parts running smoothly, loctite-blue the screws/nuts, and get them all assembled ready for valve timing. Very fiddly work, but close to applying pressure to the pistons finally!

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #3657 on: April 16, 2019, 08:05:09 PM »
As ever still following along but struggling to keep up (244 pages  ::) ) Excellent as ever  :praise2:  :praise2: I do like the mini vice (make the tool to make the model)  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Offline rspringer

« Reply #3658 on: April 16, 2019, 08:27:04 PM »
I have not noticed this hint before.  Use a stamp pad to make an impression on the gasket.  Also one of the cheap leather punches from horrible freight is great to punch nice clean holes in the gasket.  The one with several punches on one handle.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3659 on: April 16, 2019, 08:45:03 PM »
As ever still following along but struggling to keep up (244 pages  ::) ) Excellent as ever  :praise2: :praise2: I do like the mini vice (make the tool to make the model)  :wine1:
Thanks Roger!     :cheers:

If you increase the number of posts you display per page (in preferences) the page count goes down to 74...   O:-)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal