Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 594743 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #3630 on: April 10, 2019, 03:07:36 PM »
Today is going to be a stock prep day - taking some oversize 1/2" bearing bronze bar down to rectangular for the valve sliders. Holding in a 5C collet in square holder, and milling off enough for a pair at a time. I need 2 large blocks for each engine, plus one small each for the throttle valve. The smaller ones should fit inside a 3/8" round bar. I got lucky that the 1/2" bar fit in the collet, the bars are rough rolled so the dimensions vary piece to piece, sometimes they need a trim in the lathe to get to a nominal size for the collets.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3631 on: April 11, 2019, 03:41:18 PM »
The blocks for the valve sliders have all been cut to size - hows this for a really boring picture?

This morning got the recess cut in the bottom of the throttle sliders:

Started the openings with a 1/8" end mill, then took them out to rectangles with the mini bur, as used on the ports. Next up are the openings in the cylinder valve sliders. Those are a much more complicated layout, and the deeper and narrower holes will need to be chain drilled first. Here is the drawing again:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3632 on: April 11, 2019, 06:13:24 PM »
Chain drilled the holes for the passages - the end two sets are deeper than the center set, so that they can be connected with a cross hole.

drilled the cross hole...

and used an end mill to take most of the material out of the two larger holes:

Next up is to use the small bur to clean up the sides of the holes, and connect the holes in the narrow end passage...

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #3633 on: April 11, 2019, 07:34:29 PM »
Valve day has arrived! great work so far. Like the sneaky plugged passage according to the plans of Dr. B. Y. Pass ! will you silver solder the plug in to secure and seal it,  or peen it over?

:ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3634 on: April 11, 2019, 09:08:33 PM »
Valve day has arrived! great work so far. Like the sneaky plugged passage according to the plans of Dr. B. Y. Pass ! will you silver solder the plug in to secure and seal it,  or peen it over?

:ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
I am going to tap the hole and run in a small set screw with some sealant, just in case I ever want to pull it back out, not sure why I would but the hole size works for one and it is quick to do.

I didn't see Dr ByPass, but did just get back from the eye doctor, so till the dilation drops wear off and I can see again the little engine parts will have to wait!
 :cheers: :cheers:

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #3635 on: April 12, 2019, 07:10:31 AM »
Hay Chris,
 So you found the Elves stash of gold bars! Boy they will be p....d at you when they find out!

You better get the cookies out of the freezer........a big pile!

They are complex little suckers! Looking good.  :popcorn:

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3636 on: April 12, 2019, 05:09:55 PM »
Hay Chris,
 So you found the Elves stash of gold bars! Boy they will be p....d at you when they find out!

You better get the cookies out of the freezer........a big pile!

They are complex little suckers! Looking good.  :popcorn:

Cheers Kerrin
Well, they didn't know till YOU told them (they read this forum too).... Sheesh...
 :ROFL:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3637 on: April 12, 2019, 05:14:37 PM »
Bunch more done on the valve sliders this morning, got the edges of the slots opened up to size with the same bur (an FG333L dental bur, for those who are looking for them).

The slots for the valve rods are too thin for a normal mill, so I used a slitting saw to make them, came out nice and clean. The saw blade is .050 thick, which made figuring out the distance to raise the head between passes easy.

and the slots for the adjusting nuts too

Here is the batch of sliders for all three engines:

Just need to tap/plug the ends of the passage holes, and I can start on the adjusting nuts. Its getting warm out though, may head outside this afternoon and enjoy it!

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #3638 on: April 12, 2019, 06:30:36 PM »
Gotta stick up for Steamer5 on this one crueby.  Since the elves read the forum, and you posted the pictures, then YOU told the elves - not him.  No passing the buck on that one.

Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3639 on: April 12, 2019, 06:55:16 PM »
Gotta stick up for Steamer5 on this one crueby.  Since the elves read the forum, and you posted the pictures, then YOU told the elves - not him.  No passing the buck on that one.

Don
Rats, you noticed!!   :lolb:   fortunately its a nice warm day finally, and the elves are out chasing squirrels and forgetting what I did.

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #3640 on: April 12, 2019, 08:25:45 PM »
Solid gold valves eh? They should run smoooooOOOOoooth !!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Guess the elves' bowling alley, pool hall, and semi-licensed tap room must be doing OK..... :Lol:

Enjoy the nice day.
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #3641 on: April 12, 2019, 10:09:21 PM »
Hello Chris,

I have said it before and I will say it again, man that sure is a lot of work on those engines. I think you built the complete Lombard in less time. None the less, some really fine work.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3642 on: April 12, 2019, 10:42:07 PM »
Hello Chris,

I have said it before and I will say it again, man that sure is a lot of work on those engines. I think you built the complete Lombard in less time. None the less, some really fine work.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Yup - Lots of work on these engines! Its been a great learning experience, though it is no where near the time spent on the Lombard. That was just about 1 year, these engines were started at beginning of February, so its only been 2-1/2 months. So far, not done yet.

Wow, does seem longer though! More of the time warp in action....

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3643 on: April 14, 2019, 03:33:55 PM »
This morning got back into the shop and drilled/tapped/trimmed/cut apart the adjusting nuts for the valve sliders:

Here they all are:

Lets see, need to lap the valve faces nice and flat, then will start making up the pile of studs to bolt everything together (cylinders, steam chests). Also need to make the throttle levers. And gaskets....

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #3644 on: April 14, 2019, 03:40:03 PM »
 :popcorn:
 Still quietly following along & enjoying it all Chris!

As usual, great looking parts!

John

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal