Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 574002 times)

Offline cnr6400

Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #3555 on: March 31, 2019, 06:12:23 PM »
Thanks for the bail-out Chris.  C:-) The wheelbarrow ride didn't leave much of a mark at all.  :Lol:

The pistons and rods look great. Look forward to the valve levers and valves.  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:(especially the valves with the sneaky bypass passage. Got some ideas how to do the ones for my B-E B-2 shovel engines, but always game to see a new approach by the shop elves. as long as they don't approach with a keg....... :ShakeHead:)
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3556 on: March 31, 2019, 07:07:55 PM »
Thanks for the bail-out Chris.  C:-) The wheelbarrow ride didn't leave much of a mark at all.  :Lol:

The pistons and rods look great. Look forward to the valve levers and valves.  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: (especially the valves with the sneaky bypass passage. Got some ideas how to do the ones for my B-E B-2 shovel engines, but always game to see a new approach by the shop elves. as long as they don't approach with a keg....... :ShakeHead: )
The valving on this engine is quite unique (read sneaky) - it works the same as what I learned from the Marion patents on the engine, but I simplified the passages quite a bit, since they cast them in and I need to be able to drill/mill them in. The center valve will be a d-valve style rather than a spool valve, but result is the same in that case - its the two cylinder valves that are double-decker-d-valves, stay tuned on those!
 :cheers:

Online fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #3557 on: March 31, 2019, 07:56:26 PM »
Hi Chris, great progress. Does these pistons have a floting fit at the piston rods ?
If not, may be assemble machining , the last .001' of outer diameter, will be helpfull for a good sliding in the cylinder cover.

I mean the rod clamped in the chuck an final machining of the piston.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 08:22:18 PM by fumopuc »
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3558 on: March 31, 2019, 08:41:43 PM »
Hi Chris, great progress. Does these pistons have a floting fit at the piston rods ?
If not, may be assemble machining , the last .001' of outer diameter, will be helpfull for a good sliding in the cylinder cover.

I mean the rod clamped in the chuck an final machining of the piston.
Hi Achim,
The pistons are a few thou smaller than the bores of the cylinders, and the piston rods are slightly smaller than the holes in the end caps. The O-rings make up the difference in the sizes so they seal the pressure - also this lets the pistons float just slightly, though the other end of the piston rods are held  at the crossheads. The pistons themselves are rigidly attached to the piston rods - I did chuck the piston rods up and spun them once the pistons were attached to ensure that they were well centered and the pistons were not wobbling. If they had wobbled, I would have remade them, since it would have resulted in tight spots. I have done it this way on the Lombard, Shay, and Corliss engines with very good results.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3559 on: March 31, 2019, 08:44:55 PM »
Just noticed I forgot to include a picture of the assembly

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #3560 on: March 31, 2019, 11:59:59 PM »
Now that’s starting to look the part Dog. It just keeps getting better always great work Chris!.... :ThumbsUp:

:drinking-41:
Don

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #3561 on: April 01, 2019, 12:29:58 AM »
Chrris.....

Possibly I have missed it in the text, but are the pistons themselves a Grey Iron?........... that bar stock looks very smooth & shiny & I cannot see any shavings.....

Derek
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3562 on: April 01, 2019, 12:58:49 AM »
Chrris.....

Possibly I have missed it in the text, but are the pistons themselves a Grey Iron?........... that bar stock looks very smooth & shiny & I cannot see any shavings.....

Derek
The pistons and rods are 303 stainless, cuts nice with fine chips. I had brushed the chips away before taking the pictures. I like the 303, takes a nice cut. The engine blocks and cylinders are 1144 stressproof.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3563 on: April 01, 2019, 01:00:38 AM »
Now that’s starting to look the part Dog. It just keeps getting better always great work Chris!.... :ThumbsUp:

:drinking-41:
Don
Thanks Don, they are finally to the point where things can move.   :cheers:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3564 on: April 01, 2019, 04:22:51 PM »
Time to get some leverage on this project...  :Lol:

Started on the levers/rods that take the movement from down at the end of the eccentric followers and bring it up to the valve rods at the steam chest. The levers are being made from some thin tool steel bar, drilled while still on the longer bar for ease of holding.

Turned up brass bearings to go in between the levers, and made up the set for silver soldering:

Soldering is done, and parts in soaking in the pickle now to clean them up. If all the joints hold, will take them to the belt sander to shape the levers down around the holes...

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #3565 on: April 01, 2019, 04:31:29 PM »
Levers and engine assembly are looking great Chris!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

My suggestion would be to lever alone a while in the pickle.    >ahem<

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:
NO GUINNESS WAS CONSUMED PRIOR TO OR DURING THE CONSTRUCTION OF THE ABOVE BAD PUN.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 04:36:52 PM by cnr6400 »
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3566 on: April 01, 2019, 04:39:46 PM »
Levers and engine assembly are looking great Chris!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

My suggestion would be to lever alone a while in the pickle.    >ahem<

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:
NO GUINNESS WAS CONSUMED PRIOR TO OR DURING THE CONSTRUCTION OF THE ABOVE BAD PUN.

Some Guinness might help your puns...  :Lol:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3567 on: April 01, 2019, 06:52:02 PM »
Just had to re-solder one of the levers, have started installing them...

Next will be to make a batch of 1-72 shoulder bolts to connect to the end of the eccentric arms.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3568 on: April 01, 2019, 10:24:50 PM »
Got the rest of the levers installed - one of them had a slightly loose fit on the one bearing between the levers, causing it to wobble side to side, but when I added the center bearing it steadied it right up. Guess that confirms why Marion had that center bearing position with the split shafts!
I was about to start making the shoulder bolts to attach the follower arms to the levers, when I remembered that I dont have a 1-72 die. I have taps, but no die for 1-72 (have 0-80 and 2-56, but its hard to average them). So, ordered that, will be here Wednesday. In the meantime I'll move on to other parts. Just need to decide which... Maybe do the valve glands and rods into the steam chest...

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #3569 on: April 01, 2019, 11:14:44 PM »
Looking great. Love the pistons...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal