Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 572038 times)

Offline cnr6400

Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #3510 on: March 25, 2019, 08:40:51 PM »
The motto in my high school shop class : "Maim thy neighbour" (or it could have been, anyway). Lots of mishaps, most minor, none intentional. A lot of these little things that happened in the shop made sure they and bigger things never happened in peoples' work lives.

Most serious one I recall was a car falling off a two post hydraulic hoist when an air line broke off. Dropped the car hard, right out the (closed) back shop doors. Buckled it in the middle, just behind the front seat, totalling it.  A  :facepalm: moment. No one hurt, but it could have been real bad. Luckily it was the school principal's car. For some reason he didn't see the incident as the great learning opportunity that it was......  :hellno:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3511 on: March 26, 2019, 07:09:23 PM »
The motto in my high school shop class : "Maim thy neighbour" (or it could have been, anyway). Lots of mishaps, most minor, none intentional. A lot of these little things that happened in the shop made sure they and bigger things never happened in peoples' work lives.

Most serious one I recall was a car falling off a two post hydraulic hoist when an air line broke off. Dropped the car hard, right out the (closed) back shop doors. Buckled it in the middle, just behind the front seat, totalling it.  A  :facepalm: moment. No one hurt, but it could have been real bad. Luckily it was the school principal's car. For some reason he didn't see the incident as the great learning opportunity that it was......  :hellno:
Did he find out you were all making bets on how far the car would bounce?   O:-)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3512 on: March 26, 2019, 07:11:23 PM »
Okay, not much time in the playshop the last couple of days, been getting caught up on article writing and getting some outside time in.

I did get the last of the eccentric follower openings bored out - the expanding arbor really worked out well for that. Then I have started milling in the shapes on the caps:

Once those are all done I'll start shaping the forward ends of each...

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #3513 on: March 26, 2019, 08:54:42 PM »

Did he find out you were all making bets on how far the car would bounce?   O:-)

Sshhhh!

PS I'll bet you will be glad when all the caps on the shovel engine are finished!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3514 on: March 26, 2019, 09:23:24 PM »

Sshhhh!

PS I'll bet you will be glad when all the caps on the shovel engine are finished!
Milling the shape on the caps did not take long at all, just a few minutes apiece since they are only a few cuts per arc, they are all done. I've started milling the front pieces on the followers. It was boring the stepped holes for the eccentrics that took a while, lots of on/off the arbor testing for a good fit. I am keeping the followers, engine blocks, conrods, crossheads, cranks, etc together as sets to make sure the lapped in parts stay with the mating parts - it is keeping all that straight and assembling/disassembling pieces that is actually taking longer. Maybe a set of labelled bins with dividers would have been better. Making multiple copies of an engine all at once is quicker than one at a time, but it is a lot to track!

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #3515 on: March 26, 2019, 11:20:18 PM »
Some of the old diemakers I trained with years ago  :old: had a workable system of ID'ing the various blocks in the progressive dies they were making. Often the various levels in the die would have several hundred parts. For die plate level components they used an "A" punch followed by a sequential number. (If the pieces were large enough they also punched the 4 digit tool number into the pieces too, just FYI). Next level up, the stripper, they used a "B" punch followed by a sequential number. Next level up, the punches, they used "C" punch and sequential number. Punch plate was next, marked "D" and numbers. Cams, rockers etc were "E" with numbers. Die set was "F" with numbers.

Maybe this could be useful for your engines. Maybe a letter for each engine, with an added L or R for left and right cyls, and a number for each part of that engine. Just food for thought.

You could also use centre punch dots to ID the parts, but after about part number 20 they pieces will look like they have the measles or as if they were hit with 120 rounds of 30.06 like a road sign in Wyoming.  :Lol:

How are the elves' letter punch engraving skills?  :naughty:

If they are still shaky from recent Guinness or Navy rum imbibement events, recently I saw a set of 1/16" high letter and number punches at McMaster Carr website, their part 1558T101. I think it was about USD $70 for letters and numbers. Just a thought.   :thinking:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3516 on: March 27, 2019, 01:06:48 AM »
I do have a set of number punches, but they are a bit large for these small parts. A set of the smaller ones would do the trick, should look them up! I'll check mcmaster. Thanks, I should have gotten smaller ones a long time ago!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3517 on: March 27, 2019, 01:41:38 AM »
Just ordered some of the smaller number-only sets (1/16 and 3/32), they are pretty cheap at Mcmaster, needed some more bronze too so threw that in. They are not far from here, will have them Thursday.   :ThumbsUp:

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #3518 on: March 27, 2019, 06:56:49 AM »
Cool idea, numbering the parts.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3519 on: March 27, 2019, 12:07:07 PM »
Starting in on the shaping for the front halves of the eccentrics - started with notching in the sides in front of the bolt flanges in the sides, then will taper in to the lead edge.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #3520 on: March 27, 2019, 01:59:17 PM »
Still with you Dog....... :ThumbsUp:

:popcornsmall:
Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3521 on: March 27, 2019, 02:39:28 PM »
Thanks Don!  Heading out for a fish fry with some friends in a bit - not cajun style, more New England, but still very tasty!
This morning got the sides tapered in with the mill, then used a half-round file to give it some curve.

And drilling the holes for the rod leading up to the valve lever:

The other end of the rods will have a block with a hole to take the pivot pin on the end of the lever...

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #3522 on: March 27, 2019, 02:42:18 PM »
Sheesh - over 3500 posts and this thing is a still long way from making steam.  You got some sort of a record going here yet Chris?

Anybody want to start a pool to pick the post number when Chris starts yelling "It's ALIVE, it's ALIVE"?  The elves won't allowed in on this one, they'd cheat.

Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3523 on: March 27, 2019, 03:04:57 PM »
Sheesh - over 3500 posts and this thing is a still long way from making steam.  You got some sort of a record going here yet Chris?

Anybody want to start a pool to pick the post number when Chris starts yelling "It's ALIVE, it's ALIVE"?  The elves won't allowed in on this one, they'd cheat.

Don
Well, just checked the forum stats, and this one has the high count for number of posts. Beating out my other thread on the Lombard!

I'd enter myself - very high number, and have the elves enter a bunch of posts reading - "nope, not yet!"   :LittleDevil:

I am guessing it will be completely done sometime this fall, give or take a season... And reserve the right to switch to Down-Under seasons if need be!   :Lol:
Still to go, off the top of my head:
- finish slew/crowd engines - month or so to go at least
- install slew/crowd on floor and boom, hook up controls
- make steering engine, mini version of slew engine (have to hire George for that one maybe)
- boiler & all controls/accessories- water tanks
- piping for steam/exhaust- cab frame- cab interior racks/benches/etc
- controls hanging from roof for hoist/steering engines
- removeable cab walls/roof
- doors/hinges- build a crane to lift the beast onto a cart   :Lol:

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #3524 on: March 27, 2019, 03:33:55 PM »
You forgot the radio control and CCTV so the elves don't have to go out in the heat/cold to run this beast.

Don

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal