Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 574317 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #3420 on: March 13, 2019, 08:50:44 PM »
Hi Chris,  Just received my April copy of "Old Glory"   There is an article on "The Granite Rock Co" and a great picture taken in 1911 of a Marion model 50 steam shovel working in Logan Quarry. You probably have the picture in your archive anyway, but it was good to see. :)
Terry
I have not collected many photos, other than the (very) few from the LeRoy quarry of the two model 91's and the model 60 they had. I have never seen that magazine, just looked up its website, looks like an interesting one.

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #3421 on: March 13, 2019, 08:50:50 PM »

I normally use undercut, but do final pass at same depth overcut which leaves nice finish.

Agreed - 'climb milling', as it tends to be known on this side of the pond, is much maligned but you can't beat that same-depth final cut - at a high spindle speed - for a good finish.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3422 on: March 13, 2019, 08:51:21 PM »
Just reading the article and it seems they operated a 1 1/4 yard model 20 prior to the model 50.                Terry
Been looking out the front window, still don't see you walking up the driveway with the issue....  :Lol:

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #3423 on: March 13, 2019, 08:55:38 PM »
Give me chance to read it first :Lol:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3424 on: March 13, 2019, 08:56:43 PM »
Just googled the quarry and steam shovels, found a picture of the shovel on their website, its on traction wheels, dumping a load into a car to its left....

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #3425 on: March 13, 2019, 09:10:07 PM »
Don't know if I'm allowed but just scanned the photo and was going to show you.   I will put it on anyway in case others may like to look.

Terry                            Picture from OLD GLORY magazine

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3426 on: March 13, 2019, 10:11:11 PM »
Nice picture! That one is on Marion's optional traction wheels, which predate the crawler track option. They are driven wheels, I believe using the same type of chain drive that the rail mount used, and the front wheels were steerable.Thanks!

Correction, just looked up in the catalogs, its rear-wheel steering, front wheel drive, with chain drive. You can see the steering engine and drive shaft in the left/rear corner of the machine.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 10:14:40 PM by crueby »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3427 on: March 14, 2019, 07:03:51 PM »
Back in the shop again for a bit this afternoon, got more done on the mounting holes for the steam chests and lids. All the chest/lid holes are drilled, and have started on the matching ones for the base (which is part of the cylinder block). Started out with the first cylinder clamped level in the vise, and used one of the holes in the chest (checking to make sure it is on right way round, twice), and the clearance drill used to make the chest holes to line it up. With the drill run down the hole in the chest, moved the mill table till the edges of the chest line up with the edges of the base. Held the chest in place, turned on the mill, and used the drill to start the hole in the base like a center drill. Raised the drill, moved it over to the next hole, and dimpled there as well. Then switched to the tap drill, and drilled both holes in the base. That let me tap the two holes, and run the chest in with some screws to keep it in position.

Then went around the perimeter of the chest, aligning/starting with the clearance drill and then drilling with the tap drill. That way there was no chance of the tap drill skating around. Here are all the holes in the base of the first cylinder:

I'll get those tapped, and do the same for the other two cylinder assemblies...
An alternate way would have been to figure the patterns all the way around in one go - have done it that way in the past. Both ways worked just fine.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #3428 on: March 14, 2019, 09:28:24 PM »
Gee whiz. It's been a while since I've been able to peek at the forum. You're not done yet? I figured you'd already started the Stanley.  ;D

Always an inspiration to read (most) of your posts.  :Lol:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3429 on: March 14, 2019, 09:36:46 PM »
Gee whiz. It's been a while since I've been able to peek at the forum. You're not done yet? I figured you'd already started the Stanley.  ;D

Well, I was going to start the Stanley but you were not here to watch, so I waited...   :Jester:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3430 on: March 14, 2019, 09:57:17 PM »
First two steam chests drilled/tapped/assembled, one to go...

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #3431 on: March 14, 2019, 11:04:16 PM »

Well, I was going to start the Stanley but you were not here to watch, so I waited...   :Jester:

I'm always watching you. Always. You need watching.  ;D
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3432 on: March 14, 2019, 11:27:16 PM »

I'm always watching you. Always. You need watching.  ;D
True. Very true!   :cheers:

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #3433 on: March 14, 2019, 11:27:39 PM »
Dog you been working those poor elfs overtime man give them a break..... :lolb:
Looking good Chris and looking sweeter then a bowl of sugar... :ThumbsUp:

:popcorn:
Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3434 on: March 14, 2019, 11:29:20 PM »
Dog you been working those poor elfs overtime man give them a break..... :lolb:
Looking good Chris and looking sweeter then a bowl of sugar... :ThumbsUp:

:popcorn:
Don
We had some warm weather today, so all the elves and I hopped in the sleigh and went and took my mother out for lunch and a walk - then I threw them back in the shop!   :LittleDevil:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal