Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 573143 times)

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #3195 on: February 17, 2019, 02:23:46 PM »
That's beautiful work on the ship models and carvings, Chris. I like the looks of that pear wood. Thanks for posting.

Also, your Marion is coming along nicely.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3196 on: February 17, 2019, 05:22:00 PM »
Yesterday afternoon the rest of the bottom cylinder covers were milled to shape:

So this morning I set up to mill the arcs in the ends of the crossheads and covers. I started out by reversing two of the jaws on the 4-jaw to hold the long axis of the parts, left the other two normal for the short axis of the parts, but that did not clamp securely enough and it wanted to keep rocking in the chuck (wound up cutting too deep on one lower corner, will have to JB Weld that one). So, switched to holding the part diagonally between the jaws with all the jaws in the normal orientation. It does make it tougher to fine-tune the position, but it holds very securely, having the base of the part flat on the chuck face helps. After a bit of fiddling with the jaws, got it centered up on one hole in the cover:

and started by milling the arc on that end, around to tangent to the bottom surface, and to the center of the part on top. You can see where the corner got dug into in the lower left - not much, but that is the front corner of the final base plate so I'll patch that.

Then recentered on the other piston center:

and milled that side as well.

With both arcs done, then milled the flat tangent to the two arcs on the bottom:

Last milling was to do the inset around the end of the crosshead block. I think they had this as a place to pry against when taking the cylinders off the base, just a shallow recess all the way around. It did require recentering on the first side again to do that end, but with the practice it is going quickly now.

And here is the first crosshead block with the end shaped:

One down, two to go. The excess material on the sides and top are there for a reason - on the sides, the base of the part extends out to give room for the bolts into the floor. On the top, this gives room to mill in the brackets and bearings on the top for the valves and throttle.
First, time for lunch!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #3197 on: February 17, 2019, 05:32:03 PM »
Well Dog it’s a start!..... :ThumbsUp:

:cheers:
Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3198 on: February 17, 2019, 10:48:28 PM »
Continuing the start, the other two are up to the same point. Next I think I will start taking down the top surface, leaving the pivot bearing blocks and lifting rings sticking up, then shape down the sides. That will make drilling/tapping the cover holes easier, since they will be through-holes rather than blind.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3199 on: February 18, 2019, 06:38:42 PM »
This morning started taking down the top surfaces of the crosshead guides. First did the sections on the outside edges, now am moving to the inner areas. The sections with the bearing blocks and lifting rings are being left tall, will trim them to final height after the main milling is done. I started out just with the end mill, that was taking too long, then switched back to chain drilling first - much faster overall. The drill is taken down close to final depth, the end mill takes out the remaining lattice and goes to final depth.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3200 on: February 18, 2019, 08:47:36 PM »
All three crosshead blocks have been chain drilled in the center sections, and the first one had had the bulk of the material milled out:

Will do the same on the other two, then go back with a small end mill and take the blocks out to final dimensions. That will go a bit slower, lots of stops to measure widths.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #3201 on: February 18, 2019, 10:07:18 PM »
Ahhh so much to go yet! Looking pretty good Dog keep it coming!...... :ThumbsUp:

:popcorn:
Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3202 on: February 19, 2019, 12:12:14 AM »
Well, the shop elves saw all the new snow outside today, and tried to sneak off and go sledding in this big red sleigh they 'found' somewhere (has this fancy 'SC' logo on the side), but first I made them go back in the shop and rough out the top shapes on the crossheads:

After that they went off sledding with this funny looking horses, one had a reddish nose, must be a drinker....! 
 :Lol:
Next will be to put in a smaller diameter mill cutter, and do the fine trimming to get the shapes to final sizes. Enough for one day though, its time to go put on a movie for the elves!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3203 on: February 19, 2019, 04:30:17 PM »
Top shapes trimmed down to size this morning:

Next step will be to take the sides in next to the crosshead bores...

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #3204 on: February 19, 2019, 04:32:56 PM »
Its always fun to see a Sherline "gettin jiggy with it"    Nice hogments!

:praise2:
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3205 on: February 19, 2019, 04:39:21 PM »

It CAN dance a bit on interrupted cuts...!   :Lol:

This 1144 steel is very stable, that is working out quite well - it is a little harder to cut than the 303 I've been using for everything else though. Not a bad tradeoff for no warping.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3206 on: February 19, 2019, 04:41:23 PM »

This 1144 steel is very stable, that is working out quite well - it is a little harder to cut than the 303 I've been using for everything else though. Not a bad tradeoff for no warping.

I LOVE 1144.    It's good for just about anything, and it's a joy to machine with a sharp tool.

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3207 on: February 19, 2019, 04:43:06 PM »

I LOVE 1144.    It's good for just about anything, and it's a joy to machine with a sharp tool.

Dave
Its too bad that they dont seem to make it in flat bar stock - I had to slice down a 2-1/2" round bar to get these parts out of the middle, almost half the bar was slabbed away (though the slabs will find use somewhere when squared up).

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3208 on: February 19, 2019, 04:43:55 PM »
YUP  If they made bar stock, I'd have a rack of it...

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline kvom

« Reply #3209 on: February 19, 2019, 10:38:00 PM »
The conrods on my Joy engine were made from 1144, and like your engines 75+% was milled away.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal