Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 575931 times)

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #3180 on: February 16, 2019, 12:56:21 AM »
I must continually remind myself that those parts are.....TINY! Well, maybe not GB tiny....

:ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:
 :popcorn: :popcorn:

Pete

Nowhere near GB tiny, wish I could do that!  He has a huge penny for photos, I have a small mill!   :Lol:

The engine blocks are 2x3", not that small. The engine I am wondering about is the steering engine to come later. It is the same design as these, but another 30% smaller. May need to subcontract with George!

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3181 on: February 16, 2019, 01:38:14 AM »
I must continually remind myself that those parts are.....TINY! Well, maybe not GB tiny....

:ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:
 :popcorn: :popcorn:

Pete

Nowhere near GB tiny, wish I could do that!  He has a huge penny for photos, I have a small mill!   :Lol:

The engine blocks are 2x3", not that small. The engine I am wondering about is the steering engine to come later. It is the same design as these, but another 30% smaller. May need to subcontract with George!
Well, on second look, maybe it is a little small....

After so long working with the parts, they start looking bigger to me. Same thing happened all the time on my ship models.

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #3182 on: February 16, 2019, 09:40:53 AM »
Chris,  I have a soft spot for wooden ships and that model looks beautiful. Is there a "site" where I can look at your fleet?      Terry

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #3183 on: February 16, 2019, 01:54:51 PM »
Chris,  I have a soft spot for wooden ships and that model looks beautiful. Is there a "site" where I can look at your fleet?      Terry

I'll second that!  :ThumbsUp:

Jim

PS: What kind of wood is that Chris?
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3184 on: February 16, 2019, 02:02:52 PM »
Hi Terry/Jim, I don't have a site for the models, but I have put up pics of the ships before, will repost some in a while. The wood on this one is pear and lemon woods, wonderfully tight grain, hold edges well and is very dense and strong. That model is of a French 74 gun ship, I have a set of books that the French national maritime museum published with fold out plans, 4 huge volumes that show every stick and fitting in it.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3185 on: February 16, 2019, 04:00:46 PM »
Here are some shots of a few of my better ship models (started making them as a kid, the early ones are no where near this good). This is the 74-gun ship (note that I did not make the upper masts, it would have made the case enourmous)

This is the clipper ship Young America - fully planked hull over a solid core, did this one before the 74

The brigantine Leon, built to the Underhilll book plans, along with some of my scrimshaw work:

More recently I've gotten into bird carving, this is a life size Peregrin falcon, done in Tupelo wood, woodburned in the feathers (which took longer than carving the bird), and painted. The gold stern eagle in the background is one I did as well, carved in pine then gold leafed.

Closeup of the head:

One of my RC boats, the steamer Sabino from Mystic Seaport, built to their plans. This one ran with the real one many years ago.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3186 on: February 16, 2019, 04:03:01 PM »
Back on the Marion, this morning I got the counterbores done on the back end of the crosshead guides:

I know it seems like a lot of effort for a small detail, but thats the kind of thing I like adding in. Here are the parts ready for lapping the bores.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #3187 on: February 16, 2019, 06:27:06 PM »
You're crosshead guides are look great, Chris!

And your ship models are fantastic too (as are your carvings).  Interesting, we've been into similar things in the past - I've done ship building and carving (though no where near as good or prolific as you on either front).  Your work is quite amazing in all areas!

Kim
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 01:39:24 AM by Kim »

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3188 on: February 16, 2019, 08:28:39 PM »
You're crosshead guides are look great, Chris!

And you ship models are fantastic too (as are your carvings).  Interesting, we've been into similar things in the past - I've done ship building and carving (though no where near as good or prolific as you on either front).  Your work is quite amazing in all areas!

Kim
Thanks Kim!   :cheers:

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3189 on: February 16, 2019, 08:46:46 PM »
Before setting up to mill the arcs in the front of the crosshead guides, I want to make and bolt on the bottom cylinder covers. They have a small boss that fits into the guides, and they share the same bolt pattern, so I want those features to all match up. The bottom cover will then be able to work as a drill guide for the bolt holes in the back flange of the cylinder block as well.

So, started with some blanks of stress relieved brass bar stock - these could just as well have been made of steel, but I have brass the right dimensions, and strength is not a concern since these covers will be held between the crosshead guides and the cylinder blocks. The blanks were stacked and clamped together, put in the vise to drill the piston rod holes plus a set of holes in the center to hold them during machining. Note that there are three holes in the center group, that turned out not to be needed, only the outer two were used in that group. The two outer holes are the same distance apart as the cylinder centers, .75", and the center group is halfway between.

Yet another fixture was needed to mill them to shape (imagine that, a fixture on this model!) A offcut of steel rod was trued up in the lathe, and the center hole drilled/tapped.

Keeping the arbor in place, the chuck was moved over to the mill table and centered under the head using the pointy end of an edge finder.

Then moved over half the distance between the cylinders, and drilled matching holes to the ones in the blanks:

The chuck was moved onto the rotary table (realized I could have started there rather than down on the mill table) and the first blank bolted down.

And with the cutter set to the depth of the boss, 0.080", milled away the stock at one end. The bolts in the center kept me from going all the way around at first.

So first one bolt was removed, and one side of the remaining portion removed.

Then that bolt put back, the other removed, and the last bit milled away.

The part was then turned around to center the other hole, and the process repeated on that end.

A few swipes with the file to remove the burs, and it fit on the first cylinder.   :cartwheel:

So, one down, two more to go:

Once the blanks are milled to shape, I will use the outer holes in the center group as drill guides for the bolt holes in the crosshead block. That will let me bolt the covers to the crossheads for milling the outer arcs in both at once, and also drill the bolt holes in the rims.
The centers of the bosses need to be counterbored for the packing glands, and drilled for the mounting holes on those - that will all be done later when the glands are made. For now, I am concentrating on the large  parts of the engine assembly.

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #3190 on: February 16, 2019, 08:52:13 PM »
Chris do you ever rest?     Wonderful work again :ThumbsUp:
Thanks for posting your ship photos....speechless :praise2:    Are they all around your house or on show somewhere?

Terry

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3191 on: February 16, 2019, 08:59:16 PM »
Chris do you ever rest?     Wonderful work again :ThumbsUp:
Thanks for posting your ship photos....speechless :praise2:    Are they all around your house or on show somewhere?

Terry
Thanks Terry! These are all on show around the house. Lotsa hobbies over a lotta years!

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #3192 on: February 17, 2019, 12:12:19 AM »
One of my RC boats, the steamer Sabino from Mystic Seaport, built to their plans. This one ran with the real one many years ago.
That one I remember quite well.
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3193 on: February 17, 2019, 12:16:54 AM »
That one I remember quite well.
Gerald.
Yup, had it at several of the rc events up in Toronto, at Harbourfront. Those where fun days!

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #3194 on: February 17, 2019, 08:19:29 AM »
amazing skill on the wooden ships too, beautiful models !

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal