Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 574685 times)

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #2910 on: January 15, 2019, 08:42:04 PM »
Made up the studs for the steam chest, and got the valves visually timed - the final timing will be done with some low air pressure so I can feel when the ports open/close. The steam chests are button up, and I put on a bit of paint to cover the brass base parts:

A few more bolts to do up, and I will start making the inlet/exhaust pipes. I got some more of the thicker wall copper tube, and need to make up the flanges to thread them to the steam chest and also make up some elbows/tees...

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #2911 on: January 15, 2019, 08:49:41 PM »
This gets better every post!   I cannot comprehend the speed of progress.   I MUST get some elves :thinking:

Well Done Chris :cheers:

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2912 on: January 15, 2019, 09:05:49 PM »
This gets better every post!   I cannot comprehend the speed of progress.   I MUST get some elves :thinking:

Helpful shop elves are a must. It takes a lot of time and cookies to convert shop gnomes to shop elves, but its worth it!

:Lol:

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #2913 on: January 15, 2019, 09:31:47 PM »
Damn Dog that is one fine looking piece of machinery you have made. I want to see this baby in action just awesome work!......I...........like............ :Love:

:cheers:
Don

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #2914 on: January 15, 2019, 10:11:20 PM »
Hello Chris,

Amazing and beautiful.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #2915 on: January 15, 2019, 10:15:57 PM »
Chris,
This is beyond words. Please be thinking about where it can be displayed for years to come.
John

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2916 on: January 15, 2019, 10:45:44 PM »
Chris,
This is beyond words. Please be thinking about where it can be displayed for years to come.
John
Short term here at home, it may wind up out at the LeRoy museum...

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #2917 on: January 16, 2019, 01:54:51 AM »
Excellent.
John

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #2918 on: January 16, 2019, 07:07:55 AM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:
 :popcorn: :popcorn:

:cheers:
Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2919 on: January 16, 2019, 09:50:28 PM »
Thanks Guys!!
A little closer to firing up - made up the copper intake and exhaust pipes and the flanges to attach them to the steam chest. They are both screwed into the steam chest, and the fittings are silver soldered to the tubes. Next I need to make a couple of quickie connectors to hook up the compressor to each of the intakes and I can start final timing of the engine. I had to disassemble the left cylinder earlier today, the crosshead was binding a bit and needed a little tweaking with a file.

The shorter pipes are the intakes, they will get an elbow at the top to lead into the center where the throttle valve will be (its control handle will hang from the ceiling up at the front operator platform, and a rod leads back to this valve). For now, I'll just run some flex tubing to each pipe, one at a time, to check the timing and adjust as needed till each cylinder will operate correctly, then add a tee and see how it runs altogether. I loosened the grub screws on the gear on the crankshaft and slid it over so the gear train will not be driven at first.

One issue that I may run into is the valve rod flexing - not really liking how it moves, and went back to check the photos of the real machine - there is a sliding guide block there which I missed, may have to add that to get proper valve motion since right now the clevis is getting pushed up and down a little as the reverse link operates.

So, one small step at a time till it is all running! Thanks for following along.   :cheers:

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #2920 on: January 16, 2019, 10:45:25 PM »
The assembly looks great Chris.  :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: Like the new copper organ pipes too.  :naughty:

Some valve rod guide bushings / brackets sound like a good idea near the reverse links. There can be a lot of force sideways as the links travel up and down. Wouldn't want a bent valve rod in the heat of shovel vs rock combat.
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #2921 on: January 16, 2019, 11:24:39 PM »
Hello Chris,

That is a really good photo.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2922 on: January 16, 2019, 11:25:21 PM »
The assembly looks great Chris.  :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: Like the new copper organ pipes too.  :naughty:

Some valve rod guide bushings / brackets sound like a good idea near the reverse links. There can be a lot of force sideways as the links travel up and down. Wouldn't want a bent valve rod in the heat of shovel vs rock combat.
Yeah, I was not expecting that the reverse link would have so much rocking motion, but these links are a lot shorter than others I have made. In the photos of the real one it was hard to see the guides there, there is so much packed into a small area, and there are the remains of a auto lubrication pump blocking most of the view. Should be able to whip up a little guide bar for it.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2923 on: January 16, 2019, 11:29:06 PM »
Hello Chris,

That is a really good photo.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thanks Thomas!  I am really looking forward to seeing the slew engine in there too, it will sit between the steam chests and back under the backstay bar in the middle. Given the complexity of its shape I am having a mockup of it 3d printed to help me keep track of the milling, should have that next week.

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #2924 on: January 17, 2019, 12:54:46 AM »

Helpful shop elves are a must. It takes a lot of time and cookies to convert shop gnomes to shop elves, but its worth it!

:Lol:

You have to be careful the gnome layer is always there and if you don't watch close and keep there training up (and the cookies and treat plentiful), they revert quickly.

Gerald.

PS The quality control on the cookies is very important, Thus most of us who have Elves tend to be on the portly side, and you have a tendency to have a beard.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal