Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 573793 times)

Offline gbritnell

Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #2595 on: December 07, 2018, 12:05:10 PM »
Still following Chris and enjoying every minute.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2596 on: December 07, 2018, 07:16:07 PM »
Thanks guys, no shop time for me today, but the shop elves got hold of one of the strings of lights intended for the real shovel (still waiting on acess over there, the snow storms we have had here messed up everyones plans) and started decorating their model with them, and some trimmings from my tree....

Be interesting to see how it looks tonight after it gets dark outside...

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #2597 on: December 07, 2018, 10:47:54 PM »
Hi Chris,
 Nice work on the engine! Well deserved cookies!

How come the elves are taking time off the build? They protesting no cookies?

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2598 on: December 07, 2018, 11:20:49 PM »
Hi Chris,
 Nice work on the engine! Well deserved cookies!

How come the elves are taking time off the build? They protesting no cookies?

Cheers Kerrin

They have winter vacation time in thier contract!  Tough union, Electrical, Lathe & Fabrication (ELF) local 12-25...   :Lol:

Plus they knew I was off tree hunting today so they grabbed the cookie bag and York peppermints and did some decorating. With all the great work lately its well deserved.

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #2599 on: December 07, 2018, 11:28:58 PM »
 :lolb: :lolb:

Love it! I’m having a down time day today....catching up on what’s happening here.......see Zees thread.

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #2600 on: December 08, 2018, 12:41:33 AM »
Good heavens! what's that green prickly thing attacking Bucket Bob there? Looks like a Star Trek episode!  :ROFL:

Loved the clutch test video Chris, it works great. Even has that realistic clanking chain noise. Well done!
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2601 on: December 08, 2018, 01:32:10 AM »
Good heavens! what's that green prickly thing attacking Bucket Bob there? Looks like a Star Trek episode!  :ROFL:

Loved the clutch test video Chris, it works great. Even has that realistic clanking chain noise. Well done!
Thats the dreaded DougFir Monster!  :Lol:

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #2602 on: December 08, 2018, 02:21:39 AM »
That's from a white fir, or true fir, not a Douglas fir. DF is actually a larch and has different needle structure than white fir...

Beautiful none the less!

"Bucket Bob"... I love the name. He's the guy that rides the boom, right? And dumps the bucket? And I would guess that the other guy is "Hoister Harry".....

I'm tired....   :lolb:

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2603 on: December 08, 2018, 02:48:06 AM »
That's from a white fir, or true fir, not a Douglas fir. DF is actually a larch and has different needle structure than white fir...

Beautiful none the less!

"Bucket Bob"... I love the name. He's the guy that rides the boom, right? And dumps the bucket? And I would guess that the other guy is "Hoister Harry".....

I'm tired....   :lolb:

Pete
Actually I think it is a Frasier Fir, which I think is a recent hybrid that got popular (not Poplar) around here recently. That tree farm has Douglass and Frasiers, no White firs. What Fir? Dunno!    :Jester:

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #2604 on: December 08, 2018, 04:10:10 AM »
I only saw two guys in the video, but by the sound of it there are tree guys here..... :thinking:

(sorry)
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline ozzie46

« Reply #2605 on: December 08, 2018, 06:19:49 PM »
Still open mouthed astonished at this build!!

By the by I noticed the dirt devil style vacuum, how do you like it? I'm interested in one for my shop as I do some wood work also.

Ron

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2606 on: December 08, 2018, 07:09:22 PM »

By the by I noticed the dirt devil style vacuum, how do you like it? I'm interested in one for my shop as I do some wood work also.

Ron
Hi Ron, glad you are along for the ride!

That vac setup is a small shop-vac with a Dust Deputy collector on the side - it is a cyclonic seperator that goes inline with the vac hose, seperates out all the dust and metal swarf and drops it in a 5 gallon bucket. It works amazingly well, barely anything makes it to the shop vac itself, usually only when the bucket fills up, or if something like a tissue gets sucked in. I have that one in the metal shop, and another up in my wood shop - even fine wood dust gets caught in the bucket, saving having to clean or replace those stupid filters on the vac itself. They are a little pricey, but I think well worth it in the long run. I bolted a bucket on the side of the vac, with casters underneath, and a second bucket sits in that to collect the dust. The Dust Deputy bolts to the bucket lid - a piece of plywood is needed to stiffen the lid, or the vacuum tends to collapse it. I think the only issue I get is if there are long curly strings of shavings from the lathe, they tend to clog in the vac hose with all its ribs, so I try and collect those up by hand first then vac out the rest of the chips. The dust deputy is available through several of the catalog outlets (Klingspor, that sort of place), or direct from the manufacturer. They have a kit that includes the buckets and such, but those are cheap from the home centers. You will need a second short hose to go from the unit to the vacuum.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2607 on: December 08, 2018, 07:10:23 PM »
I only saw two guys in the video, but by the sound of it there are tree guys here..... :thinking:

(sorry)
Pun Police! Over there!  (trying to distract them so I dont get picked up too...)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2608 on: December 08, 2018, 09:32:31 PM »
Okay, I think I have the modifications to the plans for the hoist engine done - tweaked some of the dimensions on the eccentrics and followers to get them closer to stock sizes and make stock size bolts fit better. The original plans were the direct 1:16 scale from full size, and like the clutch valve there were a few dimensions that were just too small for operational strength at the model size - slight changes to wall thicknesses, should still look proportional though.

So, probably back in the shop tomorrow for some engine parts! I think I will start with the crank discs, then work on the eccentrics.

Offline ozzie46

« Reply #2609 on: December 09, 2018, 02:35:13 PM »

Ron
Hi Ron, glad you are along for the ride!

That vac setup is a small shop-vac with a Dust Deputy collector on the side - it is a cyclonic seperator that goes inline with the vac hose, seperates out all the dust and metal swarf and drops it in a 5 gallon bucket. It works amazingly well, barely anything makes it to the shop vac itself, usually only when the bucket fills up, or if something like a tissue gets sucked in. I have that one in the metal shop, and another up in my wood shop - even fine wood dust gets caught in the bucket, saving having to clean or replace those stupid filters on the vac itself. They are a little pricey, but I think well worth it in the long run. I bolted a bucket on the side of the vac, with casters underneath, and a second bucket sits in that to collect the dust. The Dust Deputy bolts to the bucket lid - a piece of plywood is needed to stiffen the lid, or the vacuum tends to collapse it. I think the only issue I get is if there are long curly strings of shavings from the lathe, they tend to clog in the vac hose with all its ribs, so I try and collect those up by hand first then vac out the rest of the chips. The dust deputy is available through several of the catalog outlets (Klingspor, that sort of place), or direct from the manufacturer. They have a kit that includes the buckets and such, but those are cheap from the home centers. You will need a second short hose to go from the unit to the vacuum.

Thanks, that a great help.

Ron

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal