Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 588101 times)

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #2295 on: October 23, 2018, 03:44:44 PM »
That space is really starting to fill up Chris.  You must be almost done, since you're running out of room, right?
Enjoying your build!  :popcorn: :popcorn:
Kim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2296 on: October 23, 2018, 04:06:46 PM »
That space is really starting to fill up Chris.  You must be almost done, since you're running out of room, right?
Enjoying your build!  :popcorn: :popcorn:
Kim
Oh yeah, except for 4 steam engines, 6 more gears, boiler, cab, ...   :Lol:

Offline kvom

« Reply #2297 on: October 24, 2018, 09:57:31 AM »
Back from 3 weeks travel in the Middle East to find I need over an hour to bring this thread up to date.  Lots of nice work there as usual.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #2298 on: October 24, 2018, 03:47:34 PM »
Wow Chris, I finally got caught up with your build! I got sidetracked last spring at around page #65. When I got back to it, pictures were missing.  When you were able to get the pictures restored you were up to about page #120. For a while there I'd get a page read and two more pages had been added!  :o Wouldn't let myself jump ahead (that'd be like jumping ahead in reading a good book).

Anyway your Marion looks fantastic!  :praise2: It's been fascinating to see how you've dealt with each obstacle as it arose.

Now working on getting caught up on John's diorama project. Then other builds I'm way behind on. Might even get going on my P & W build one of these days. The weather has been fantastic out here this last spring and summer.........but that's about to come to a screeching halt!  :???:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2299 on: October 24, 2018, 04:01:05 PM »
Kvom/Jim, glad to have you guys back, looking forward to seeing more on your builds too.

:cheers:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2300 on: October 24, 2018, 08:29:45 PM »
Next step on the hoist gears was to make and fit the counterweight and hinge bars on the large gear. The counterweight is a set of locomotive-style plates on the side opposite the clutch assembly, the pair get through-bolted on the outer end of one of the spokes. To make it, a couple of pieces of 1/8" thick bar were bolted down to the tooling plate on the rotary table, and the arc milled in.

The inside edge has a 170 degree angle to it, that was milled in with the parts held in the mill vise.

The holes for the plates and the clutch cylinder were located and drilled/tapped in the spokes, after triple checking which spokes they go on (really easy to get it backwards when looking at a round part on plans!) .

There is also a set of plates on the side with the clutch cylinder, which hold the short pivots for the ends of the clutch band. On the real machine, there are a pair of large lugs cast into the rim, for the model I switched to a set of bolted on plates. Here are the plates all bolted up, including the mount bolts for the cylinder.

The next step is to drill the pivot holes in that narrower plate.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2301 on: October 24, 2018, 10:13:15 PM »
Okay, got the holes for the pivot pins drilled in the plate on the large hoist gear. Also, at risk of Don sending a horde of angry crawdad-wielding shop elves after me, I painted the hoist gears and drum grey to match the slew gears rather than keep them the shiny brass. I am going for the real-machine look, so I'll have to risk being able to fight them off with a form and bucket of melted butter!

View from the left side shows the counterweight, pivot-holder plates, and the mount screws for the clutch piston.

I have not decided for sure, but I think rather than make the clutch I am going to stay in gear-mode and make the holders for the rest of the travel gear train then come back to the clutch. The travel gears take the feed from the smaller gear on the right side of the hoist drum, and take it to a set of shafts mounted underneath the frame, and finish with the drive shafts out to the front tracks. There is a dog clutch halfway out that engages the final couple of gears so the hoist engine can also drive the front tracks to move the machine.

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #2302 on: October 25, 2018, 02:24:15 PM »
The hoist works look great Chris. Well done!
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2303 on: October 25, 2018, 04:21:52 PM »
The hoist works look great Chris. Well done!
Thanks!
Started laying out the stock for the next gear bearing block, alternating that with some other RC submarine work, got another water-tight compartment to make up for our November pool run.

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #2304 on: October 25, 2018, 10:21:00 PM »
What do you call the elves that work on the subs?  Unterseesich Elfen?  Or aren't they that organized yet?

Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2305 on: October 25, 2018, 11:21:33 PM »
What do you call the elves that work on the subs?  Unterseesich Elfen?  Or aren't they that organized yet?

Don
I like that!

Their current build is a larger version of the Delphin sub I have, so maybe this crew are Delphin Elfins!   :Lol:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2306 on: October 26, 2018, 07:26:31 PM »
Been busy on other things for a bit, back in the shop again this afternoon to get a start on the bearing blocks for the idler gear near the start of the travel gear train. This gear takes the power from the smaller gear on the end of the hoist drum (its the same size/nbr teeth as that one), and moves it down below the I-beams to connect with the rest of the train. The shaft this one is on will have a dog clutch to engage the tracks for moving the machine.

To show where this one will be, here is the render of the gear trains again. This idler gear is the one on the shaft below the hoist drum in the center:

Next up will be to shape the caps, then put in the mounting bolts that connect to the frame (the bolt holes were drilled in the frame a while back, just need to match up with the spacing on those).

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2307 on: October 27, 2018, 12:17:01 AM »
Finished up the bearing blocks by milling the caps to shape and recessing both sides of each one to make it look like the casting, and also make room for the mounting bolts into the I-beams. Its going to be a pain in the elf-hole to get those bolts started, hope I don't have to remove/replace them once in!

And the parts so far test fit. Still need to make the dog clutch bits for the small gear, including some retaining collars and a keyway.

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #2308 on: October 27, 2018, 05:11:35 AM »
Hi Chris...

I am a bit lost on the angles of the stub shafts.....we see each stub shaft has two coupling halves....not for misalignment but for intended angularity?

Derek
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #2309 on: October 27, 2018, 07:19:56 AM »
Huh? That question lost me. It'll filter through any minute now.  :zap:

:ThumbsUp:

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal