Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 573795 times)

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #2190 on: October 04, 2018, 04:56:31 AM »
Hi Chris,
Looking good!
Think I got my head around the patent drawing........ them old guys were cleaver!
Just got back from our road trip, by the look of the foot prints in the snow the elves have been to suss out the job, & left! Ah well, may be next time!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2191 on: October 04, 2018, 06:12:55 PM »
Hi Chris,
Looking good!
Think I got my head around the patent drawing........ them old guys were cleaver!
Just got back from our road trip, by the look of the foot prints in the snow the elves have been to suss out the job, & left! Ah well, may be next time!

Cheers Kerrin
Gotta train my elves better, they shouldn't have left any trace that they were there seeing what tools you left out for them.... At least this time they didn't build the tiny snowmen in the front yard...
 :Lol:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2192 on: October 04, 2018, 06:13:51 PM »
One more gear with spokes cut, one last one to go! Here is a pic of the collection so far, the big one at the top is the last one to get spokes cut in....

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #2193 on: October 04, 2018, 07:16:05 PM »
Some impressive gears there, Chris.

How big is the mountain of chips?

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline JC54

• Grantham, Lincolnshire, UK
« Reply #2194 on: October 04, 2018, 07:53:08 PM »
Fantastic job Chris, thank you for sharing it and explaining so clearly how jobs done. It really helps us learners.  :NotWorthy: :NotWorthy: :NotWorthy: :old:  JC.. Sorry not keen on popcorn but a pint of brown ale   :LickLips: :DrinkPint:
When the Fun Stops,, Stop!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2195 on: October 04, 2018, 08:41:45 PM »
Some impressive gears there, Chris.

How big is the mountain of chips?

Mike

3-1/2 shop elves tall...   :Lol:

I emptied out the shop vac again the other day, fair bit of weight in it.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2196 on: October 04, 2018, 08:42:24 PM »
Fantastic job Chris, thank you for sharing it and explaining so clearly how jobs done. It really helps us learners.  :NotWorthy: :NotWorthy: :NotWorthy: :old:  JC.. Sorry not keen on popcorn but a pint of brown ale   :LickLips: :DrinkPint:

Mmmmmmm, brown ale, great stuff!

:cheers:

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #2197 on: October 05, 2018, 03:10:27 AM »
Lots of great looking parts Chris.  Can't wat to see the assembly when they all come together.    :ThumbsUp:
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2198 on: October 05, 2018, 11:10:41 PM »
Lots of great looking parts Chris.  Can't wat to see the assembly when they all come together.    :ThumbsUp:
Thanks Craig,  the slew portion of the train will probably be assembled later this week, then comes the more complicated bits in the hoist and travel trains, which will be much more interesting looking. Hard to believe this project is entering its second year, great that every part going on now really changes the appearance of the whole thing.

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #2199 on: October 05, 2018, 11:47:56 PM »
Wow, that's quite a gear train Chris! I don't know what it is about gears but I really enjoy making them, all types.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2200 on: October 05, 2018, 11:52:34 PM »
Wow, that's quite a gear train Chris! I don't know what it is about gears but I really enjoy making them, all types.
gbritnell
Hi George,

I have done enough gears to really like making the normal ones, just enough bevel ones to know how but still be worried about the sequences!  Still need to try my hand at a curved spoke one, or a curved spoke flywheel. Someday I would love to design and build a puzzle box with all the gears and moving bits like you see in movies, like the gnomes  safe door in Harry Potter. Imagine a steam powered one...

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2201 on: October 07, 2018, 10:46:17 PM »
Hi all,

No progress on the Marion model the last couple of days, been showing it and the Lombard model up at the logging museum in Maine, while spending most of both days at the wheel of the real one!  I also got the opportunity to take the throttle and learn how to operate the controls, which was a real treat, did that several times both days.

I won't be able to get my pics and videos up till tomorrow, but in the meantime here are a couple of videos and a link to a photo album that Herb Crosby put up, he is one of the directors at the museum, and oversaw the students from the college that helped with the last couple of years of the restoration work. Great group at the museum, mostly volunteers, huge turnout again this year (they need more parking badly). Amazing weekend, will put up my pics tomorrow.

Chris

Video of the event as a whole, including the Lombards running

https://youtu.be/Aq9rM93z9a0

Photo album:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Yv8pWo83EDNtdpJY7

Me explaining the Marion to some visitors:
https://youtu.be/ZyTnJlajMFs

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #2202 on: October 07, 2018, 11:14:28 PM »
Hello Chris,

Thanks for sharing these links, but looking forward to your photos.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #2203 on: October 08, 2018, 04:38:43 PM »
Just awesome Chris! Looks like great weather & really good time! Hats off to the volunteers & everyone involved in putting on the event & just keeping this part of history alive.

John

Offline JC54

• Grantham, Lincolnshire, UK
« Reply #2204 on: October 08, 2018, 07:27:30 PM »
Just watched videos Chris really gives a good idea of scale and achievement. I would love to see both models live over here in UK. JC  :old: :DrinkPint:
When the Fun Stops,, Stop!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal