Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 594240 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #2130 on: September 25, 2018, 02:10:17 AM »
Did pretty much the same thing when I got my dividing head.  40 turns of the handle is 360 degrees.  Also 6 plates supplied with a plethora of different hole configurations.

I gave up trying to figure out the documentation and wrote my first program  :cartwheel: since retirement to tell me the disk circle to use and the handle turns- disk holes to advance for any number of gear teeth I might want to cut.

Old skills are still pretty handy once in a while.  :cheers:
Absolutely, little bit of pre figuring makes a complex task (mostly) easy. Like the little utilities that Don, others have made.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2131 on: September 25, 2018, 06:33:45 PM »
And the gear pile is still growing, up to the mid-sized ones now. The spokes will be cut in later, after all the gear teeth are done, to minimize switching the rotary table back and forth.

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #2132 on: September 25, 2018, 08:16:09 PM »
Nice gear work there old chap. I gave my BIL the Sherline CNC rotary table a couple of years ago for Christmas. He does clock repair and now when he has to cut a pinion, he cuts about 2-4” of it and then parts off what he needs; saving the rest for the next time.

Whiskey

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #2133 on: September 25, 2018, 08:21:04 PM »
Damn nice gear work Dog!

:cheers:
Don

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #2134 on: September 25, 2018, 08:57:44 PM »
Nice looking gears, Chris!
They get slower as you get to the bigger ones, don't they!

Enjoying the show!  :popcorn:
Kim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2135 on: September 25, 2018, 09:25:16 PM »

Thanks guys!

Nice looking gears, Chris!
They get slower as you get to the bigger ones, don't they!

Enjoying the show!  :popcorn:
Kim
Oh yeah! Gotta take breaks between them now.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #2136 on: September 26, 2018, 01:03:03 AM »
Nice looking gears Chris!  :ThumbsUp:

Dave

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2137 on: September 26, 2018, 01:10:27 AM »
Nice looking gears Chris!  :ThumbsUp:

Dave
Thanks Dave, still a few more larger ones to cut, then can start on adding the spokes to them.

Offline kvom

« Reply #2138 on: September 26, 2018, 12:51:08 PM »
I was going to poke you about how with a CNC mill and 4th axis machining all those gears would be so simple.  But I decided not to.   :stickpoke:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2139 on: September 26, 2018, 07:09:03 PM »
I was going to poke you about how with a CNC mill and 4th axis machining all those gears would be so simple.  But I decided not to.   :stickpoke:
Thanks! That would have been annoying!   :ROFL:
At least this way I can say that I made them, not the machine!   :stickpoke:
Actually, it would have gotten me some progress today, rather than spending most of it waiting around in the jury room downtown - got called in for jury duty, but got excused from a 6-week murder/kidnapping trial since I already had booked my trip up to Maine for the fall event at the logging museum.  Whew!  The short day or two trials are not a problem, served on a number of those, but I can't imagine being stuck there for 6 or 8 weeks at one go.

So, should be back in the shop again tomorrow, Counting Number Cranks'ing!
 :cheers:

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #2140 on: September 26, 2018, 07:27:45 PM »
Your lucky with the jury duty

I got called up , it was a nasty case a teacher abusing under age girls at a deaf boarding school , all evidence was in sign language BSL

And yes he went down , that was dramatic when the judge said “ take xxxx down “

Nasty but glad I did it , but too old now  :old:

Great build very interesting the way you sort out your machining ,

When I worked at the iron works as an apprentice sparks we had a visit to Corby steel works they took us out in the back of a lorry to see the walking drag line , we thought that’s big , but we were two miles away ,

This one has a 20 ton over head crane in the body and trailed a 11kv cable for power , inside it was spotless , idea of size the tip of the boom rotated at 30 mph

But boy was it a sight to see it walk ,or lumber along
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2141 on: September 26, 2018, 07:35:39 PM »

When I worked at the iron works as an apprentice sparks we had a visit to Corby steel works they took us out in the back of a lorry to see the walking drag line , we thought that’s big , but we were two miles away ,

This one has a 20 ton over head crane in the body and trailed a 11kv cable for power , inside it was spotless , idea of size the tip of the boom rotated at 30 mph

That must have been a fascinating sight to see - they had a small (truck crane size machine) dragline running at one of the local steam shows here, very interesting to watch it go. The one truly big machine I got to see in person was the ginormous radio telescope down in West Virginia, went over there when I went to see the Shay locos at the Cass museum. The maintenance guys were just leaving it when the tour bus pulled up, so we got to see it rotate back from the level position, like watching a skyscraper turning over.

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #2142 on: September 26, 2018, 07:37:32 PM »
I was called in the early nineties and when I went to check in, while the clerk was getting my paperwork ready, I loudly exclaimed: “Man I’ve been wanting to do this since they screwed up the OJ trial”. EXCUSED
Actually, wasn’t called again until they changed our voter districts.

Whiskey

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #2143 on: September 26, 2018, 07:53:22 PM »

That must have been a fascinating sight to see - they had a small (truck crane size machine) dragline running at one of the local steam shows here, very interesting to watch it go. The one truly big machine I got to see in person was the ginormous radio telescope down in West Virginia, went over there when I went to see the Shay locos at the Cass museum. The maintenance guys were just leaving it when the tour bus pulled up, so we got to see it rotate back from the level position, like watching a skyscraper turning over.

I've been inside this one.  1980-2 ish.  :headscratch:  :old: When I was young and cute ...  :LittleAngel:

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-big-geordie-1970-online

Not while it was in operation though.  Just a quick tour through the thing.  Makes one feel rather small ....

Dave

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2144 on: September 26, 2018, 08:42:11 PM »

I've been inside this one.  1980-2 ish.  :headscratch: :old: When I was young and cute ...  :LittleAngel:

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-big-geordie-1970-online

Not while it was in operation though.  Just a quick tour through the thing.  Makes one feel rather small ....

Dave
:o

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal