Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 574269 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #1785 on: August 05, 2018, 07:21:25 PM »
Today I finished up milling the ends of the hinges on the track segments, here is the pile:

Next step is to drill for the hinge pins, then the final shaping of the bottom portions can start.
Also - for anyone in the Indiana region, next weekend will be a big RC submarine meet at the Veterans Memorial reflecting pool in Carmel. Usually get about 50 modellers there with a big variety of subs, running all weekend - no competition but just a fun outing. Visitors most welcome, this year one of our group has a sub set up just for visitors to run and learn about the hobby.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1786 on: August 06, 2018, 12:54:27 AM »
First 50 of the tracks are drilled, couple more short sessions should see the rest done, then can start the bottom side milling....

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1787 on: August 06, 2018, 04:52:15 PM »
The last of the hinge pin holes have been drilled, and started on milling the shapes into the bottom side of the track segments. The first is to take the sides down to depth - then will round off the new corners.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #1788 on: August 06, 2018, 05:35:31 PM »
Getting close!  :lolb:

Do you feel like you're on a treadmill?
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #1789 on: August 06, 2018, 05:56:33 PM »
Getting close!

Do you feel like you're on a treadmill?

No, he's on track!  (ROFL emoji suppressed in deference to the articulate.)
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1790 on: August 06, 2018, 06:43:34 PM »
Sometimes I feel like Mike here:

:cheers:

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #1791 on: August 06, 2018, 08:01:23 PM »
I’ve heard that practice makes perfect and I’ve also heard that repetition produces rejects. You are either really in practice or there is a big bin of rejects we haven’t seen. Awesome work Chris.

Eric

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1792 on: August 06, 2018, 08:32:09 PM »
I’ve heard that practice makes perfect and I’ve also heard that repetition produces rejects. You are either really in practice or there is a big bin of rejects we haven’t seen. Awesome work Chris.

Eric
Or as I like to say, Perctize Makes Prefect. Um, Pratcise Makes Purfact. Something like that...

So far I only have one unusable part, several with goofs in areas that will be trimmed off anyway, and a couple with a center gap too wide but usable. Also found a couple while drilling where I missed squaring the inside corner, those were reworked and are fine. I can do about 10 or 15 of any one step then need a break or I miscount cranks.  Bits of tape on the table edge are very handy as reference marks to start or end cranking, very easy to get off by one otherwise.

Overall, the tracks are going faster than I feared, the jig has made it possible, without it I would have looked for rail truck plans!

One fun book arrived today, found a copy of Marion's care and feeding guide for the shovels. Its a 1932 edition, but has sections on steam enginez and boilers as well as diesel and electric models.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1793 on: August 08, 2018, 08:11:53 PM »
Continuing on with the side cuts on the track segments, 53 done, 28 to go... These are taking a bit longer than the other cuts, roughly 4 minutes per segment to do the two sides on each. A few more sessions should see them done, ready for the next operation...

The bin is getting a lot lighter on each operation, down around 4 pounds of parts left - need to empty the bucket on the vacuum!  Just goes to show, machining is just converting large perfectly good bars of metal into small useful parts and large piles of chips!

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #1794 on: August 10, 2018, 01:13:22 AM »
Continuing on with the side cuts on the track segments, 53 done, 28 to go... These are taking a bit longer than the other cuts, roughly 4 minutes per segment to do the two sides on each. A few more sessions should see them done, ready for the next operation...

The bin is getting a lot lighter on each operation, down around 4 pounds of parts left - need to empty the bucket on the vacuum!  Just goes to show, machining is just converting large perfectly good bars of metal into small useful parts and large piles of chips!

I took a tour of an Aircraft Plant when I was first starting CNC, At one point near the beginning of the tour we watched them load a two hundred pound slab of titanium on a CNC Machining Center. We passed it a couple of more times in the tour, once when there was a guy inside the enclosure with a broom removing chips. Near the end we were back at the mill when It finished and they removed two five pound parts. The tour guide told us there main product was swarf and aircraft parts were a byproduct. I also found out that if you were hired there ether as an operator or a programmer your first year was on swarf removal, I declined the offer of a position, I figured if I was going to wheeled a shovel I might as well do it on a farm.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1795 on: August 10, 2018, 01:18:27 AM »

I took a tour of an Aircraft Plant when I was first starting CNC, At one point near the beginning of the tour we watched them load a two hundred pound slab of titanium on a CNC Machining Center. We passed it a couple of more times in the tour, once when there was a guy inside the enclosure with a broom removing chips. Near the end we were back at the mill when It finished and they removed two five pound parts. The tour guide told us there main product was swarf and aircraft parts were a byproduct. I also found out that if you were hired there ether as an operator or a programmer your first year was on swarf removal, I declined the offer of a position, I figured if I was going to wheeled a shovel I might as well do it on a farm.
Wow, glad my part yield is better than that!  Their tolerances were probably a lot tighter than mine though. At least I hope so!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #1796 on: August 10, 2018, 02:30:01 AM »
hi Chris,,,, :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:  done... :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:  to go !!!!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1797 on: August 10, 2018, 04:18:05 AM »
hi Chris,,,, :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:  done... :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:  to go !!!!

:lolb: :lolb: :lolb: :lolb:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1798 on: August 12, 2018, 09:39:18 PM »
No updates the last couple of days, been at a big RC sub meet, should be back in the shop and back on the track treadmill Monday...

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #1799 on: August 12, 2018, 10:05:53 PM »
Chris, you are an incredible machinist. Every piece of metal that touches your hands is destined for precision and purpose.

Everyone is running out of superlatives!

John

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal