Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 573473 times)

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #1425 on: June 10, 2018, 10:03:43 PM »
It just looks amazing.  :popcorn:

Oops. Out of popcorn. Slow down a bit will ya?
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1426 on: June 10, 2018, 10:12:35 PM »
It just looks amazing.  :popcorn:

Oops. Out of popcorn. Slow down a bit will ya?
Reminds me of the old joke about the guy writing a letter back home, says he is writing slow since he knows the recipient doesn't read too fast...
 :Lol:

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #1427 on: June 11, 2018, 07:12:48 PM »
Lots of fiddly bits to come...

As opposed to the mundane, overly simplistic kind of stuff that you've been doing???

Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1428 on: June 11, 2018, 08:11:54 PM »
Lots of fiddly bits to come...

As opposed to the mundane, overly simplistic kind of stuff that you've been doing???

Don
Yeah. That boring stuff!!

:ROFL:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1429 on: June 11, 2018, 08:52:30 PM »
The small bearing blocks for the control rods are made (one more down inside the frames out of sight), they are simple brass blocks, nothing fancy.

Also started making the bolsters that go on the rear track support crossbar. These bolsters are leftovers from the days when the shovel sat on railroad trucks, these took the side-to-side rocking load of the frame on the trucks. So, at this point the bolsters are not going to touch on anything on the tracks, but they left them in place when the track conversion kit was added. So far have one block outlined, about to do the other, then will do the rocker shape to them. After that comes the large bearing that the tracks sit on - not sure if this is the same as the railroad truck bearing or not.

Also, sitting next to the vise are a pair of small brackets - these will go on the frame near the control pivots, they act as a stop for one of the controls - more on that when they are installed. They were milled out of a bit of bar stock.

Offline Farmboy

• England
« Reply #1430 on: June 11, 2018, 10:29:22 PM »
Soon be done now . . . just a few engines to build . . . and the gear trains  . . . and the control gear . . . and the tracks . . . and a few odds and ends . . . oh yes, and the boiler . . .  :LittleDevil:

Still following along  :cheers:

Mike.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1431 on: June 11, 2018, 11:23:21 PM »
Soon be done now . . . just a few engines to build . . . and the gear trains  . . . and the control gear . . . and the tracks . . . and a few odds and ends . . . oh yes, and the boiler . . .  :LittleDevil:

Still following along  :cheers:

Mike.
Yup - should be done in a week or eighty, almost there!! 

:cheers:
Should be about the time Zee gets his Popcorn engine going...   :stickpoke:   (sorry Carl, couldn't resist!)

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #1432 on: June 12, 2018, 12:56:04 AM »
Love the bucket full of peanut M&Ms   ;D :ThumbsUp:  :popcorn:
Kim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1433 on: June 12, 2018, 01:00:30 AM »
Love the bucket full of peanut M&Ms   ;D :ThumbsUp: :popcorn:
Kim

Huh?  Where?

Why those little... elves...  They didn't share with me!!

:Lol:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1434 on: June 12, 2018, 03:59:14 PM »
Finishing up on the side bolsters from yesterday, the side flanges were milled off at an angle:

And the tops were rounded off on the sanding belt. Here they are on the frame:

The center pivot bearing plate is a complex bit of shapes, it could be made several ways. Pieced up from thin stock and a center tube, and silver soldered would work but I decided it was a lot of extra work when I could mill it from two pieces. Making it from one would be hard, since it has an undercut around the center pivot. So, started with a bit of rectangular bar, and milled in the vertical gussets, just leaving the base plate.

The center was left intact, which helped center it up n the 4-jaw on the lathe where a starter hole was drilled for a small boring bar:

Then bored out a 1/2" diameter hole all the way through, for the vertical axle.

The vertical gussets were then bored out to the diameter of the center bearing block and its top flange - bored the top flange first to have the most material supporting it during the interrupted cut. The flange goes out to the full width of the narrow side gussets.

Here is the part so far:

Next step was to make the center bearing - I checked the scrap box and found the end cut off piece from making the tubes for the front track supports - close in size, so that was chucked up to bore out the center to 1/2" as well.

With the center hole bored, the outside was taken down to match the hole in the gussets on the base:

Once it fit the gussets, the portion holding it in the chuck was trimmed off, leaving this assembly:

The two parts were 'glued' together with some Loctite retaining compound (the green stuff), then the long gussets were trimmed back at an angle:

And a 4-40 hole drilled/tapped in the side for a grub screw to hold the axle. In the real machine there was no screw there, but I want to be able to pick up the model without the rear tracks falling off, so the axle will have a pair of slots to take retaining screws in the top and bottom bearings, so it can turn but not fall off.

Here are all the parts assembled on the frame:

Next up will be the front support for the boiler, which comes down through the floor and bolts to the bottom of the frame I beams. Not sure why they did it this way, rather than just a larger cross beam and supporting it all at floor level, but I am doing it the same way they did.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #1435 on: June 12, 2018, 05:29:20 PM »
Are you leaving the bearing Loctited in place or will you silver solder it?
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1436 on: June 12, 2018, 06:29:31 PM »
Are you leaving the bearing Loctited in place or will you silver solder it?
This one will just be loctited - in use, it is pressed by gravity into the base with its gussets holding on each side. It will only be pulled on when lifting the model, by the weight of the rear tracks, so it should be fine. The loctite should be plenty strong - oh and the steering mechanism will take half the weight of the tracks too.
If it would be silver soldered, would never have put the loctite in since that would interfere with the solder.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1437 on: June 13, 2018, 01:47:55 PM »
Last bit of the underpinnings, the lower front boiler support, was bent up from some flat stock and bolted in:

That left some more painting, and reassembling the pieces. Here are a couple of family shots of the parts so far. The wider stance of the track supports in front really stabilize the model well when the booms are swung to the side.

Next up I think will be the rear track support parts. Another massive casting on the real machine, will be pieced up like the front ones were. Here is what that assembly looks like:

The lower axle holds the rear tracks, and the bar out the front acts like a tiller to steer the rear tracks, steering driven through a set of worm and pinion  gears from the small steam engine behind the boiler.

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #1438 on: June 13, 2018, 04:12:16 PM »
Chris, the compleity of this machine is mind boggling. I'm sure everyone watching has run out of superlatives to describe your work.

My goodness, you have been machining a lot of metal!

Cheers...John

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1439 on: June 13, 2018, 06:12:50 PM »
Chris, the compleity of this machine is mind boggling. I'm sure everyone watching has run out of superlatives to describe your work.

My goodness, you have been machining a lot of metal!

Cheers...John
Thanks John, never could have attempted it without access to the shovel near here. Tons of measurements, thousands of photos, plus all the info in the old Marion catalogs.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal