Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 574729 times)

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #1305 on: May 17, 2018, 12:31:01 AM »
Dog all that setup your doing is slicker then grease on a slip and slide! Love the think through and the results are awesome. You just make it look to easy Chris but of coarse we have to give the Elf’s credit too. Do you ever sleep Dog?

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1306 on: May 17, 2018, 12:36:52 AM »
Dog all that setup your doing is slicker then grease on a slip and slide! Love the think through and the results are awesome. You just make it look to easy Chris but of coarse we have to give the Elf’s credit too. Do you ever sleep Dog?

Oh yeah, had a couple of naps on the porch this afternoon, gotta love this weather we are finally getting! 

:cheers:

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #1307 on: May 17, 2018, 04:10:50 AM »
Oh, boy, ideas for a couple more "Crueby clamps".  Admiring the thread every day, but learning something I can use as well.  With these clamp ideas I might even learn to make a properly aligned Silver soldered fabrication.

Amazing progress on the shovel, and wonderfully documented.  Thanks for all your effort in posting it.

MJM460
The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1308 on: May 17, 2018, 01:40:49 PM »
Oh, boy, ideas for a couple more "Crueby clamps".  Admiring the thread every day, but learning something I can use as well.  With these clamp ideas I might even learn to make a properly aligned Silver soldered fabrication.

Amazing progress on the shovel, and wonderfully documented.  Thanks for all your effort in posting it.

MJM460
Thanks MJM, the clamps have worked out very well, quick to make and they are small enough not be heat sinks. Much easier on these long parts than rows of screws that have to be milled off or filled.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1309 on: May 17, 2018, 08:48:16 PM »
Got some time in between outside fun to get the holes drilled in the angle and I beams for the rear deck:
Here is a test fit of the parts so far. The far side set gets another vertical support at the wide end, since that one was cut away for the steering gear. Note that this rear deck was something bodged up in the field by the quarry, not made by Marion. The original rear deck was a folding set of doors to keep the machine short enough to be part of a train, the quarry extended the rear deck to a fixed platform, probably when the tracks went on. That is why the metal used for the rear deck is such a mishmash of sizes, they just used what they had locally.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1310 on: May 18, 2018, 03:39:22 PM »
Starting on the floor plates, out of some thin aluminum stock - have some 2, 4, and 6" wide strips for the different areas, still need a little trimming on the width to fit. Cut a piece of the 6" wide for the coal deck, then milled the slot for the steering gear to project through, and drilled holes to match the ones in the I-beam tops. Here is a view from the side, showing the slot, plus how the beams on that side are cut away and braced for the gear. As I mentioned last time, this deck area was added out in the quarry, not part of the original machine.
View from underneath - have to remember not to lay it flat on the table without a block underneath.

To put the screw holes into the ends of the main I-beams, got out my little Proxxon drill press and swung the headstock out to the side. With it clamped to the beams, it makes a great portable drill - mini version of the magnetic one that someone described a while back in a full size factory.

Here is the coal deck all bolted in - the parts are quite rigid now that its all held together.

Next I'll start on the plates for the main floor - they will be in one wide strip in the center, two narrow ones on the outside, and need to have lots of openings for all the pipes, controls, the firebox grates, boiler support, all that. There is also a large area in the center where the gear trains go that has no floor.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1311 on: May 18, 2018, 07:42:21 PM »
The replacement power switch for my Sherline mill arrived today, turned out to be a quick install (and they sent me the part free, which was nice too) so back in full action again. I've started milling out the openings in the center floor plate, and will be drilling mount holes as well, pictures as it gets assembled later. First, need to get the subs prepped for the pond tomorrow, assuming the rain is not too bad to stand out in it all day. If its too rainy/windy, it will just be a gab session with everyone under the picnic pavilion, which is fun too. And yes, the subs don't care about the rain, but our transmitters do!

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #1312 on: May 18, 2018, 07:51:22 PM »
If y’all are going to be under a cover, would the “subs” know it was raining  :thinking: :shrug: 8)

Cletus

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1313 on: May 18, 2018, 08:13:45 PM »
If y’all are going to be under a cover, would the “subs” know it was raining  :thinking: :shrug: 8)

Cletus
Problem is the pavilion is quite a ways from the pond, and view is blocked by some trees, so we can't run from there....
Does sound like one of those philosophy questions, if a fish falls in the pond and no one is there, did it make a sound? Or something like that!   :ROFL:

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #1314 on: May 18, 2018, 09:17:26 PM »
Or remember this from childhood: “Get out of the pool, it’s raining “ :Doh: :lolb:

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1315 on: May 18, 2018, 09:21:46 PM »
Or remember this from childhood: “Get out of the pool, it’s raining “ :Doh: :lolb:

Yes!

:Lol:

And the ever popular,  Put on your socks, I'm cold!

Offline kvom

« Reply #1316 on: May 19, 2018, 12:21:26 PM »
Reminded me of the story about the Buddhist monk who saved fish from drowning;  they died anyway so he are them.

Offline ShopShoe

• Central Iowa, Central USA
« Reply #1317 on: May 19, 2018, 04:32:13 PM »
My Grandmother kept telling my Dad, "Don't go near the water 'till you learn how to swim!" (According to Family Legend).

ShopShoe

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #1318 on: May 19, 2018, 11:47:56 PM »
My Grandmother kept telling my Dad, "Don't go near the water 'till you learn how to swim!" (According to Family Legend).

ShopShoe
My mother warned me that I wouldn't be allowed to start public school unless I learned to swim first. Sounds a bit strange, but there was reason behind it. I had to walk past four lakes between my house and the school which was a mile away. We never had a kid drownd in our community, but EVERY kid had to learn to swim before they were allowed to walk to school.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1319 on: May 20, 2018, 12:08:23 AM »
Speaking of going past the lakes - I was off at the local pond today for our season kickoff of the RC submarine group's outdoor runs, big gathering and picnic, had several from Canada, Ohio, and West Virginia stop up for the day. No one drowned, and all the boats came back in too (couple drifted in but thats okay).
I took my sea turtle and killer whale subs (plus a truck) to run. The whale went quite well, as usual. The sea turtle had a new motor in it, more speed and power to try and get the performance up a bit. That worked out to be the case, so much so that it snapped the timing belt connecting the motor to the twin prop shafts!   :cussing: Sigh. Some redesign needed there!Anyway, here are some pics from the day:

Starting with the sea turtle crying over his broken drive belt - had a short run, but it worked well till the break:

So, side tripped for the day, should be back in the shop on the shovel tomorrow!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal