Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 574807 times)

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #1170 on: April 25, 2018, 02:26:57 AM »
The tough part is going to be lifting it, may need a cart, not sure how heavy it will be, but its already over 20 pounds.   :thinking:

I'm available to help.  :naughty:

But if I were you, I wouldn't trust me just as if you were me, I wouldn't trust me.

Wait...that doesn't sound right.  :thinking:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1171 on: April 25, 2018, 02:34:19 AM »
The tough part is going to be lifting it, may need a cart, not sure how heavy it will be, but its already over 20 pounds.   :thinking:

I'm available to help.  :naughty:

But if I were you, I wouldn't trust me just as if you were me, I wouldn't trust me.

Wait...that doesn't sound right.  :thinking:

:insane:

Um, and you were a software engineer...   :ShakeHead:

At least you couldnt run fast carrying the shovel!

Seriously, well, a bit, well, not much... The Shay is a foot or so shorter than this model will be, I can lift it and carry it a short way, but its easier with two people. This model will be longer and taller, plus probably twice the wieght. May get one of those carts that jack up and down.

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #1172 on: April 25, 2018, 02:44:52 AM »
Hi Chris,
 Can recommend the hydraulic trolley. When my slaves err minions err kids left home I got one to move the trains & trolleys around, makes life easy & safe!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1173 on: April 25, 2018, 02:58:32 AM »
Hi Chris,
 Can recommend the hydraulic trolley. When my slaves err minions err kids left home I got one to move the trains & trolleys around, makes life easy & safe!

Cheers Kerrin
Which brand did you get?

Can use one to move the sacks of popcorn in to use when reading all the threads here!

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #1174 on: April 25, 2018, 03:18:13 AM »
Hi Chris,
 Mines the 226 kg version, an earlier one with out the hand brake, mine has brakes on the wheels

https://www.machineryhouse.co.nz/Lifter-Trolleys

I have the popcorn delivered by the truck load! Have a silo with auger to deliver to the house, re-stock on a monthly basis up until a couple of months back now its every 2 weeks!!  :ROFL:

Cheers Kerrin

PS just checked & its not a hand brake but the release to lower the table, mine has a peddle next to the pump peddle

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1175 on: April 25, 2018, 04:08:16 PM »
Thanks Kerrin, will look into those!

Got a couple more fittings made for the A-frame head unit, the front pulley brackets and the back stay bracket. Each started out as a chunk of brass, rough cut to shape, drilled the pivot hole, and used that to radius the outer edge in the mill vise.

The rear bracket has some raised areas on the sides, where they thickened it up to help take the load of the back stay. Did that on the rotary table to get the angles and arcs in.

Then milled the slots down the center, several shallow passes with the end mill down to depth, then a couple passes out to the width.

Drilled and tapped a couple more 1-72 holes for temporary attachment screws to hold them in place for silver soldering.

Side view, showing the two brackets in place:

After silver soldering, the small fins will be milled down to profile, and the top piece angled for the pivot bar that goes on top. The A-frame leans forward from its base so the center of the top pivot is centered over the swing table pivot, so the stays up to the end of the main boom don't pull the boom up or down as it swings.

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #1176 on: April 25, 2018, 09:46:20 PM »
I wonder if Chris has thought how he's going to get that thing out of the room.  :thinking:

Well he probably has.

For those that follow NCIS on CBS- it will be the same way Gibbs gets the boats out of his basement.  :ThumbsUp:
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1177 on: April 25, 2018, 10:47:43 PM »
I wonder if Chris has thought how he's going to get that thing out of the room.  :thinking:

Well he probably has.

For those that follow NCIS on CBS- it will be the same way Gibbs gets the boats out of his basement.  :ThumbsUp:
Doing that off camera sure helps!   :Lol:  one of the great mysteries of our time!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1178 on: April 25, 2018, 11:40:47 PM »
The parts have been silver soldered on, and initial milling to shape the backets has been done.

Next milling will be to slope the top of the assembly, so that the pivot on top will be vertical when the A-frame is in its tilted-forward position.

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #1179 on: April 26, 2018, 03:04:04 PM »

Well he probably has.

Which boat?  Hasn't he cut at least one up and started over again?  Not real sure that Chris would go along with that, but if he does I've got a small collection of engineering art that I'd be willing to add this to.

Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1180 on: April 26, 2018, 05:19:56 PM »

Well he probably has.

Which boat?  Hasn't he cut at least one up and started over again?  Not real sure that Chris would go along with that, but if he does I've got a small collection of engineering art that I'd be willing to add this to.

Don
Gibbs has built several boats over the years, some he destroyed, only seen one that made it to the water, and Abby sawed that one up. I think he had a teleporter.

And no, I would NOT cut up one of my boats! I have built several canoes in the upstairs wood shop, they fit out the large window over the garage roof (shallow pitch on the back), or the shorter ones can make the turn onto the stairs. The larger boats were prepped in the upstairs shop, then the molds taken out to the garage for planking.

Closest for the 'art' display would be the stack of molds for a couple of the boats, waiting in the basement in case I remake one someday.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1181 on: April 26, 2018, 05:33:30 PM »
Oboyoboy! Got a chance to use the new bigger milling vise that followed me home from Cabin Fever this winter (the shop elves gave it to me as a late Christmas present). The A-frame head assembly was too large to get in the normal vise easily, so I set up the big one cross ways on the mill and used it to mill the top plate to its angle.

Closer view of the top plate:

Drilled and tapped the center of the plate for the pivot holder, still to be made:

The screw is where the pivot will be, the pivot is a large hollow tube with a full base, so the screw can sit inside it and hold it on, but allow it to be removed. The top edge of the pivot has a flange to hold the swivel arm, on the real thing that is removeable with small bolts, but this will be better for the model size, allows the flange to stay a scale proper size.

Here it is test assembled on the model - there will be a long stay bar running from the bracket on the left down to the frame under the boiler to hold it in this position.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #1182 on: April 26, 2018, 05:41:26 PM »
Fantastic Chris.
It's an unbelievable model.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1183 on: April 26, 2018, 06:02:19 PM »
Fantastic Chris.
It's an unbelievable model.
Thanks Carl!
 :cheers:

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #1184 on: April 26, 2018, 07:33:07 PM »
Looking really good Chris,
I see the elves are starting to get over there camera shyness........what are they up to I wonder :thinking:

Cheers Kerrin

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal