Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 572081 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #825 on: March 08, 2018, 06:55:23 PM »
A coat of paint on the shipper yoke assembly,

Then I found some wider stock for the gears (went through the plans and listed the other gears in the main gear trains as well, ordered enough for those too) from a supplier with short lengths of 'drop' offcuts at a good price. While waiting for those to arrive I got started prepping the stock for the shells of the main booms. Those are cut from some lengths of thin 2" wide steel bars, and used the same holding block that I used for the dipper booms to square up one end for the base, and went down one side to remove the half-round edge from the stock.

Due to the length of the bars, just under 21", it took three passes per bar to do the whole length since the Sherline has a travel of about 8-1/2" max.
Next is to take the bars down to final width (1.8125") by taking the rest off the second side of each bar. I've made up a card stock template for the booms, which are parallel sided for half the length, then they curve in to the halh-round at the top end where the chain sheaves are. I'll use the template to mark the bars for rough-sawing the shape in, to save milling time.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 09:08:08 PM by crueby »

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #826 on: March 08, 2018, 09:06:49 PM »
I’m still  :popcorn: , DrinkPint: , and following along in amazement. Just one question: I notice that you are using a lot of brass and then painting it. I can imagine the brass would be a easier “carved” material with the Sherlines; but, wouldn’t a good ali work and be more cost effective? Or is a case of “I got it and I’m gonna use it?”  :lolb:  I also love the turtle. I couldn’t help but laugh this morning when one my customers that is a cattle farmer offered a $2 a shell bounty for the turtles taking over his two acre livestock pond. Apparently, they cause damage to the substrate of the clay that forms most of the ponds in this area and with enough of the little fellers, they can “sink” a pond  :shrug:. Just had a stupidly good German dark chocolate bread cookie and cream with a snort of ol’ Kentucky’ s finest  and a double espresso. Don’t tell the elves  :lolb:

Cletus

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #827 on: March 08, 2018, 09:37:11 PM »
I’m still  :popcorn: , DrinkPint: , and following along in amazement. Just one question: I notice that you are using a lot of brass and then painting it. I can imagine the brass would be a easier “carved” material with the Sherlines; but, wouldn’t a good ali work and be more cost effective? Or is a case of “I got it and I’m gonna use it?”  :lolb:  I also love the turtle. I couldn’t help but laugh this morning when one my customers that is a cattle farmer offered a $2 a shell bounty for the turtles taking over his two acre livestock pond. Apparently, they cause damage to the substrate of the clay that forms most of the ponds in this area and with enough of the little fellers, they can “sink” a pond  :shrug: . Just had a stupidly good German dark chocolate bread cookie and cream with a snort of ol’ Kentucky’ s finest  and a double espresso. Don’t tell the elves  :lolb:

Cletus
Hi Cletus,  pass the chocolate!!

I much prefer brass to aluminum, cuts so much nicer and doesn't cling to the cutter like ali does. Just a personal preference, feel its worth the cost to enjoy working with it. Lots of sizes available, and I can find larger sizes cheap as drops fairly often.

Funny about the turtles, never knew they were tunnelers! I'd rather have them than those stupid groundhogs, much easier to catch up to!  :Lol:
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 09:08:17 PM by crueby »

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
« Reply #828 on: March 08, 2018, 10:12:40 PM »
Chris, I reread the first 6 pages of his thread and could not find the scale of this build, what scale did you choose?

I like working with steel best but I have both big and small machines to make chips with.

Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #829 on: March 08, 2018, 10:21:25 PM »
Chris, I reread the first 6 pages of his thread and could not find the scale of this build, what scale did you choose?

I like working with steel best but I have both big and small machines to make chips with.

Dan
This one is 3/4":1', same as my Shay. Large enough to make the engines work, small enough that I can still meet move the model, just!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #830 on: March 09, 2018, 06:52:34 PM »
Continuing on with the main boom sides - took the second side to final width on each piece,

then angled the part to rough in the curved taper on the end on one side

and then the other

The four sides (two booms, with the dipper handle between them) were then stacked together and held with clamps, and taken to the belt/disc sander to get a fair curve along the tapered area. Doing them all together meant I knew all 4 would come out the same shape.

While they are still clamped up together, I can drill some reference holes so I can bolt them together and handle them seperately as needed for future steps. The reference holes will be at the pivot for the tip sheave, and slong the length where other bolts will be in the finished pieces.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 09:08:29 PM by crueby »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #831 on: March 10, 2018, 11:12:55 PM »
Was out most of today, but this afternoon got some time to work on the main booms. The first step, while it was all still clamped together from shaping the edges, was to drill the outer end for the chain sheave pivot rod.

Made up a little plug, same diamter as the hole, slightly shorter than the distance through the bars, with a clearance hole for a 4-40 bolt and bolted on some with some washers to span to the bars. That will hold the end tight without letting anything shift during all the drilling operations to come - last thing I want is for the bars to move and some of the holes to no longer line up!

Then drilled the row of holes at the bottom end of the booms

and ran in a set of 2-56 nuts and bolts to clamp that end. Now, both ends are bolted up tight, and cannot shift. All I need to do now is drill a gazillion holes along the length for all the cross bolts - will clamp the bars together as i go so they cannot lift and leave gaps as the drill goes through each plate.
Here I have spot drilled for the first batch of holes, ready to do the drilling for real. There is a hole every 1/2" down the edges, and an alternating set of holes in the middle - this matches the pattern on the real thing.

I also put in an order for another batch of 2-56 scale pattern nuts from Fastener Express - after counting how many are needed, decided it was worth the cost rather than make that many myself (yes, I am crazy, but not THAT nuts!  :insane: ). I have some of thier scale pattern nuts, they look correct for this model, so will go with them. There are 140-some cross bolts, and 50 or so vertical bolts in each of the two booms, a lot of the cross bolts go all the way through both, except for the ones in the gap where the dipper boom goes. Those are riveted flush on the inside edge and bolted on the outside edge. I have several long lengths of 2-56 threaded rod that I got from McMaster to use as the studs.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 09:08:37 PM by crueby »

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #832 on: March 11, 2018, 12:17:51 AM »
All that screwing around is going to drive you nuts...

;D

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #833 on: March 11, 2018, 12:31:54 AM »
All that screwing around is going to drive you nuts...

;D

Pete
Thats no drive, thats a short putt!   :ROFL:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #834 on: March 11, 2018, 06:17:57 PM »
This has been a boring day so far - boring (well, drilling) lots and lots of holes in the main boom side panels. As with shaping them, they were done in three batches since the mill table can't move far enough to do it in one go. So, first batch:

second batch:

Third batch:

Few swipes with a file to debur the bottom plate where the drill came through, and the four plates are ready to go:

Next up will be the wood core pieces for the booms, just like on the dipper booms they are steel plates on all four sides, wrapping a white oak core piece which Marion did to absorb the shock loads on the booms, and they said it also kept the booms from taking a set twist from side loads.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 09:08:46 PM by crueby »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #835 on: March 11, 2018, 07:55:43 PM »
And got some well-seasoned white oak out of the scrap pile in the woodshop, cut it to 1/4" thick on the table saw, and cut the outline on the bandsaw...

Then clamped one of the side plates to each wood core, and used the holes in the side plate as a drill guide for drilling matching holes in the wood parts. Since the plates act as a guide for the drill, I was able to just use the drill press to zip through the rows of holes, hand holding the parts onto a wood block in the drill press vice to prevent excessive tearout in the back of the wood. This went much quicker than drilling the holes in the metal!

« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 09:08:53 PM by crueby »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #836 on: March 12, 2018, 05:33:26 PM »
With the core and side plates done, time to move onto the top/bottom plates on the main booms. The top plate is a simple piece of 3/8" wide flat bar, starting at the base, bent around the top end, and ending a few inches into the bottom, where a second wider section starts.

For the bottom plate, started with some 7/8" wide flat steel and took it to 3/4" wide (did not have any 3/4" wide to start with), and narrowed the bottom end to 3/8".

Switched the plates to the mill vise, and cut the angled sections at either end:

Here are the strips set in place, ready for drilling the through bolts, at the front end:

and the back end:

The wider section is only on the outside of each boom, there to stiffen the boom to sideways loads, and also provides a step for working on it. Most of the shovels came with a ladder that ran along the bottom just above this plate to provide access up the boom. The LeRoy shovel is missing this ladder, not sure when it was removed - may have been when they abandoned it, may have been earlier, no way to tell. Next time I get out there I am going to take a closer look and see if I can figure out how it was attached to the boom, cannot tell from my photos.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 09:08:59 PM by crueby »

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #837 on: March 12, 2018, 05:39:43 PM »
Incredible work Chris, in some photos it's hard to tell its not the full sized machine  :)

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #838 on: March 12, 2018, 08:32:22 PM »
Wow! Damn Dog you and those Elves are just chewing up the metal and spitting it out. Do they ever sleep got to be some powerful cookies you feeding them.... :lolb:

:cheers:
Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #839 on: March 12, 2018, 09:17:03 PM »
Wow! Damn Dog you and those Elves are just chewing up the metal and spitting it out. Do they ever sleep got to be some powerful cookies you feeding them.... :lolb:

:cheers:
Don
Dark Chocolate Caffiene Powdered Sugar Filled High Octane Cookies!   :cheers:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal