Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 574309 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #795 on: March 04, 2018, 07:22:06 PM »
Been a bit of a scramble at the last day, but got the turtle sub all assembled, apparently working (will find out for real tonight at the pool), and here is a shot of the ballasting in the tub - matter of adding/trimming chunks of closed cell foam to the inside of the shell to get it to float level with 'decks', um, back, just out of the water. Then, at the pool, will either add a little more floatation or some wheel weights to fine tune its performance under power. The diving planes, err, fins, at the bow, I mean behind the neck, can pivot and act to aim the nose down, so the props can push it the rest of the way under. The props are gimbaled in both directions, so they act as steering as well as angling the stern, I mean butt, up and down.   :Lol:

« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 09:06:15 PM by crueby »

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #796 on: March 04, 2018, 11:12:53 PM »
FYI - going to be a break in the build for a bit, not sure how long. I am getting the final sub work done for the pool run tomorrow...

That wouldn't happen if you'd been working on the Stanley. You wouldn't be able to tear yourself away.

re: Marv's post...I've seen some of that work. The ingenuity used to put models into dioramas or making them appear 'real' is amazing and really adds to the hobby.

Sort of like seeing a turtle in a tub...but not quite.  :lolb:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #797 on: March 05, 2018, 02:20:06 AM »
FYI - going to be a break in the build for a bit, not sure how long. I am getting the final sub work done for the pool run tomorrow...

That wouldn't happen if you'd been working on the Stanley. You wouldn't be able to tear yourself away.

re: Marv's post...I've seen some of that work. The ingenuity used to put models into dioramas or making them appear 'real' is amazing and really adds to the hobby.

Sort of like seeing a turtle in a tub...but not quite.  :lolb:

Well, the turtle was a natural in the pool, swam very well! Got pics and videos, will put them up in the morning probably. Just a few minor tweaks needed, but for first run of a complex mechanism it went quite well, very happy about that.  :whoohoo:

Good thing, since tomorrow noon I go in to get a tooth removed and bridge installed, so will be out of the shop for a while, don't know how long, and the elves are bad at posting about their work. So see you all when that crap is all done!   :(

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #798 on: March 05, 2018, 07:32:18 AM »

Well, the turtle was a natural in the pool, swam very well! Got pics and videos, will put them up in the morning probably. Just a few minor tweaks needed, but for first run of a complex mechanism it went quite well, very happy about that.  :whoohoo:

Good thing, since tomorrow noon I go in to get a tooth removed and bridge installed, so will be out of the shop for a while, don't know how long, and the elves are bad at posting about their work. So see you all when that crap is all done!   :(

Hang on...

:pics:

Chris - Don't you go off enjoying yourself with your trip to the dentist until after you have posted the turtle pics and video   :slap:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #799 on: March 05, 2018, 12:53:25 PM »

Hang on...

:pics:

Chris - Don't you go off enjoying yourself with your trip to the dentist until after you have posted the turtle pics and video   :slap:

Jo
Enjoy. Dentist.    :shrug:

Dentist. Enjoy.    :shrug:

Sorry, those words go together as well as you enjoying your time at work!    :ShakeHead:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #800 on: March 05, 2018, 01:05:15 PM »
Here are some pictures from last nights run of the submarine fleet at the pool.

Started out with the turtle swimming around by himself, all was well in the ocean...

Then, he was spotted by the flying sub, scouting out from the Seaview (remember the old tv series?)

The crew of the flying sub freaked out about this giant monster turtle, and called in reinforcements from the world navies:

Fortunately, the turtle was able to make friends and they started to play with each other:

One big happy family...

I have some videos, will take some time to get them uploaded....
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 09:06:39 PM by crueby »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #801 on: March 05, 2018, 01:14:54 PM »
Videos of the Sea Turtle submarine from last night:

Quick clip from underwater:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KgJnCaLCck" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KgJnCaLCck</a>

Couple longer movies of first run in the pool:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EitDTpnCoi0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EitDTpnCoi0</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11F9gGyz6JA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11F9gGyz6JA</a>

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #802 on: March 05, 2018, 04:42:06 PM »
Enjoy. Dentist.    :shrug:

Dentist. Enjoy.    :shrug:

Sorry, those words go together as well as you enjoying your time at work!    :ShakeHead:

Thanks for the pictures Chris  :mischief: Looks good  :ThumbsUp:

One has to enjoy our time at W**k while we still have it, it will not last forever  :pinkelephant:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #803 on: March 05, 2018, 05:30:22 PM »
Really cool Chris. Thanks for the videos as well as the pictures. Now you can go and enjoy the dentist :)

Bill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #804 on: March 05, 2018, 10:31:24 PM »
Really cool Chris. Thanks for the videos as well as the pictures. Now you can go and enjoy the dentist :)

Bill
Thanks Bill, things actually went a lot better than I had feared, once he pumped in a few quarts of novacaine (or whatever they use these days - seemed to remove feeling but not take away the muscle control, so didn't drool all over everything like Jo at the foundry). Turned out he only had to remove the half of the tooth that had cracked off and was shifting, the other half was still anchored solidly so he left that, will build on it for the new bridge. The shots have worn off (the next part I feared) but there is very little pain.

So, unless things go bad in the next few days, should be able to spend time in the shop a whole lot sooner than I thought!

Offline ClaytonFirth

• Brisbane, Australia
« Reply #805 on: March 05, 2018, 11:00:40 PM »
The turtle is awesome Chris. Interesting perspective in the video with the hand on it's back, for some reason i thought that it was going to be a lot larger from the build photos.

C

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #806 on: March 05, 2018, 11:07:14 PM »
The turtle is awesome Chris. Interesting perspective in the video with the hand on it's back, for some reason i thought that it was going to be a lot larger from the build photos.

C
The turtle is 24" long and 18" wide overall, not all that big, the camera angles can really exagerate things. Things went very well for its first time out - got worried at first when it didn't power up at the pool. Turned out the on/off switch on the speed control had a faulty lead (the only wire connection that I didnt make, it came that way from the factory) and the wires seperated inside the heat-shrink tubing over the tab on the switch. Once I found that, did a quick bit of wire stripping and twisting to force it on, and all went well from there.

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #807 on: March 06, 2018, 08:07:29 AM »
Hi Chris,
 Now that is pretty cool!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline Mikem

« Reply #808 on: March 06, 2018, 12:35:49 PM »