Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 572866 times)

Offline Farmboy

• England
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #780 on: March 01, 2018, 01:23:26 PM »
That photo of the turntable a few posts back really shows the scale of this thing, unless that's one of the 'shop elves posing there in his safety boots  :LittleDevil:

Hope the dental work goes as well as all your other projects.

Mike.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #781 on: March 01, 2018, 01:53:25 PM »
That photo of the turntable a few posts back really shows the scale of this thing, unless that's one of the 'shop elves posing there in his safety boots  :LittleDevil:

Hope the dental work goes as well as all your other projects.

Mike.
Yeah - that was no elf, that was one of the Park Service guys up from SteamTown in PA to do the condition report on the shovel. That turntable is 8 feet diameter.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #782 on: March 01, 2018, 01:56:09 PM »
Sounds like they have a lot going on! If you hear of a date for the steam weekend this year, I'd love to know, would be great to see it, and would definitely take the model.

This just came down the wire...

"Toot Toot It's #WayBackWednesday! How did 30 years go by so fast!? Mark your calendar now for our 60th Anniversary celebration September 15 & 16 2018"   (the "30 years" is in reference to a photo they had of a ribbon from their 1st "Steam weekend", which was their 30th anniversary celebration.)

Excellent!!! Thanks!  Just went and looked at their website, and found this on the events page:
--------------------------------------
WHITE MOUNTAIN CENTRAL RAILROAD DAYS
Wolfman

Celebrate 60 years of riding the rails
September 15 & 16, 2018

Revel in the rich history of railroading with special excursions on the White Mountain Central Railroad. Rail fans can ride steam locomotives and see rare and unique equipment on display.

The Baldwin, Climax and Porter steam locomotives and a GE 65-ton diesel engine will be in operation on this spectacular weekend celebrating 60 years of riding the rails on the White Mountain Central Railroad. To join in the fun of Railroad Days, guests must purchase a general admission ticket at the railroad station. Tickets are $22 for ages 4-64 and $20 for ages 65 and up. Each ticket includes all the Railroad Days events, the bear show, train rides, plus all the rides and attractions Clark's has to offer.
More details for Railroad Days will be coming soon.
--------------------------------
Sent them an email asking about the Lombard as well, thanks again for the tip!
I just got a reply from Clarks Trading Post, they said the Lombard will not be operating at RailRoad days this fall   :( , but I can bring the model up for photos with it and they do have someone there who can supply lots of information on it. Sounds like a fun road trip to see all the other locos running.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #783 on: March 01, 2018, 03:45:01 PM »
Got the U-shaped straps bent out of flat stock (bent around a round bar, anealed couple of times along the way) and drilled for the cross pins. Cotters are installed in the center 3 pins, the outer ones will wait till they go on the yoke and the chain is attached. Think its ready for a splash of paint!

I think the next logical part is the yoke block that the gear is held by, to run the dipper in and out. Here is a picture from one of their catalogs - the detail shape of this block changed over the years, model to model, but the basic shape was the same. The plate on the top rides on top of the dipper booms, the middle section slid between the booms, and the bearings at the bottom held the shaft with the small gear for the rack on the dipper boom. The large wheels you see on the side of the booms from the crowd engine attach to the outer ends of that same shaft.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 09:05:14 PM by crueby »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #784 on: March 01, 2018, 05:54:58 PM »
Splash of paint and a little time baking, looks much better!

« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 09:05:22 PM by crueby »

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #785 on: March 01, 2018, 09:27:27 PM »
Hi Chris,
Ok I’ll go with the expert on the pulley! I just thunked that with the chain only fitted to the grove that it may/could/would wear the pulley, especially if the pulley didn’t rotate for some reason, I realized that IF the pulley had been set up so the links could turn it but not transmitting any power, it would just “freewheel”
Now that last picture is cool!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #786 on: March 01, 2018, 09:33:08 PM »
Chris......I did go back some 20 pages prior to asking about these chain pulleys , however these later photographs really clarify  :ThumbsUp: & bely my questions :facepalm:

Certainly a substantial and robust design.......[for a highly loaded application in an aggressive environment  :killcomputer:]

Derek

Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #787 on: March 01, 2018, 09:36:08 PM »
Hi Chris,
Ok I’ll go with the expert on the pulley! I just thunked that with the chain only fitted to the grove that it may/could/would wear the pulley, especially if the pulley didn’t rotate for some reason, I realized that IF the pulley had been set up so the links could turn it but not transmitting any power, it would just “freewheel”
Now that last picture is cool!

Cheers Kerrin
Given the huge weights these things lifted, and the fact that the chain is not that smooth, I would be surprised if the chain didn't grip onto the sheave surface and help it spin.

One of the places on the real machine that was interesting to see wear was on the hoist clutch control lever, which is right next to the guide wheel for the slew chain - the wheel edge has worn the lever at least a third of the way through.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 09:05:36 PM by crueby »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #788 on: March 01, 2018, 09:41:31 PM »
Chris......I did go back some 20 pages prior to asking about these chain pulleys , however these later photographs really clarify  :ThumbsUp: & bely my questions :facepalm:

Certainly a substantial and robust design.......[for a highly loaded application in an aggressive environment  :killcomputer: ]

Derek
Itws amazing that the machine ran for so many decades of such rough service - there is definitely signs of repairs and field-made parts here and there!
Check out the wear marks on the front corner bolster of the main frame - all those diagonal marks deep into the steel are from the bucket scraping on it when they got in too close when digging to the side of the machine.

It looks like a rubber bumper, but that is an inch thick piece of plate steel.
The left side track support has a new end on it, and some repair plates welded over the joint, it had a pretty rough life.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 09:05:45 PM by crueby »

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #789 on: March 02, 2018, 12:29:59 AM »
It's really fascinating to see the 'real' pictures and the 'fake' pictures  ;D
Awesome project.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #790 on: March 02, 2018, 05:14:59 PM »
It's really fascinating to see the 'real' pictures and the 'fake' pictures  ;D
Awesome project.
Is it Model or is it Memorex?  :Lol:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #791 on: March 02, 2018, 05:24:16 PM »
Started in on the yoke block, milled a chunk of brass to the overall dimensions, then notched in the sides to start forming the half-round protrusions on the ends.

Then drilled for the through-bolts

and to do the half-rounds, used the old rod-through-the-holes-and-make-a-series-of-flat-cut trick. About 6 cuts per side did the job, end result is a pretty smooth arc. Two critical things on this operation, make sure the cutter is positioned to just skim the surface when the block is vertical, and make sure the rod is tight to the top of the vise every time the part is rotated between cuts. Here it is after two cuts.

Okay, three things - when the part gets farther over on its side after a few cuts, move the mill table over to make sure the cutter wont dig into the lip at the end of the arced area.

And after the passes on both sides of the arc:

Repeated the process on the other end of the part:

So, now the post is shaped, still left a little long to allow for fine tuning the fit of the gear.
Next up is to make the top plate and the bearing surfaces. On the original, the plate is steel, and the bearing surfaces appear to be bronze or something like it. I may make the whole thing from one chunk of bronze, the bearing plates would be quite thin, hard to fasten to the outer plate....
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 09:05:55 PM by crueby »

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #792 on: March 02, 2018, 05:50:42 PM »
It's really fascinating to see the 'real' pictures and the 'fake' pictures
Awesome project.
Is it Model or is it Memorex?

If you want to see some fantastic model trompe l'oeil, take a look at Michael Paul Smith's work with model cars and forced perspective...

https://petapixel.com/2013/10/14/life-like-miniature-scenes-shot-using-model-cars-forced-perspective-250-ps/

For more examples, his Flickr page is here...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/24796741@N05/
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #793 on: March 02, 2018, 06:05:50 PM »
It's really fascinating to see the 'real' pictures and the 'fake' pictures
Awesome project.
Is it Model or is it Memorex?

If you want to see some fantastic model trompe l'oeil, take a look at Michael Paul Smith's work with model cars and forced perspective...

https://petapixel.com/2013/10/14/life-like-miniature-scenes-shot-using-model-cars-forced-perspective-250-ps/

For more examples, his Flickr page is here...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/24796741@N05/
Those are amazing! 

Seems like there is a Twilight Zone episode there, he wakes up one day inside one of his shots and can't get out...

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #794 on: March 03, 2018, 08:14:42 PM »
FYI - going to be a break in the build for a bit, not sure how long. I am getting the final sub work done for the pool run tomorrow, then Monday I'm starting in on some work at the dentist that will keep me out of the shop for a while.  :(

So, probably not much in the way of updates this week.

Chris

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal