Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 572848 times)

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #735 on: February 22, 2018, 02:04:55 AM »
Actually looking forward to seeing the dentist again Friday.

Ah the consequences of mint chocolate chip cookies.

That, or payback from some higher being.  ;D
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #736 on: February 22, 2018, 02:27:01 AM »
Actually looking forward to seeing the dentist again Friday.

Ah the consequences of mint chocolate chip cookies.

That, or payback from some higher being.  ;D
Probably a plot by the elves to get more of the cookies for themselves!

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #737 on: February 22, 2018, 12:11:37 PM »
Chris I know that you have been asked about RC under water before, but I got another one. On full size subs they use VLF (Very Low Frequency) radios in order to be able to have connection down to some depth - do you use as low frequency as possible RC equipment or is even the new 2.4GHz. RC gear useable down to the few feet you go ?

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #738 on: February 22, 2018, 06:09:31 PM »
Chris I know that you have been asked about RC under water before, but I got another one. On full size subs they use VLF (Very Low Frequency) radios in order to be able to have connection down to some depth - do you use as low frequency as possible RC equipment or is even the new 2.4GHz. RC gear useable down to the few feet you go ?
We also have to use the older lower frequency radios (hard to find now, out of production in most brands), like 75 mhz and below. The 2.4ghz radios now common just skip off the water, useless without an above-water antenna. No where near as low as the ultra low stuff the sub fleets use!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #739 on: February 22, 2018, 06:12:47 PM »
Probably no work on either model today, last night the tooth attacked me  :cussing: , made a emergency run into the dentist this morning to get the old crown off to let it drain and such. No sleep last night, so off to some naps!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #740 on: February 24, 2018, 02:06:20 AM »
Probably no work on either model today, last night the tooth attacked me  :cussing: , made a emergency run into the dentist this morning to get the old crown off to let it drain and such. No sleep last night, so off to some naps!

Things have apparently turned the corner on the tooth, swelling in the jaw is down and I am not counting off the minutes to the next painkiller, so hopefully can get back to the models soon. Think I only need another day or so on the sub, some of it waiting for some different belt parts to solve a slipping issue, so may actually get some work done on the chain pulley for the Marion this weekend!

On an even more positive note, the first check for the Lombard article series came today  :cartwheel: , so I finally splurged (been wanting it for a while) and spent it on the larger XY base for my Sherline, been running into the Y distance limit WAY too much these last couple of models. Should have that this coming week, will post pics when it shows up.

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #741 on: February 24, 2018, 02:36:03 AM »
Hi Chris, Have you looked into the 344 MHz radios? I have been following ScratchbuildwithJohn on Utube, He is in Australia and using 433 MHz with his sub.
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #742 on: February 24, 2018, 02:45:47 AM »
Hi Chris, Have you looked into the 344 MHz radios? I have been following ScratchbuildwithJohn on Utube, He is in Australia and using 433 MHz with his sub.
Gerald.
Have not heard of the 344 band, brings up two questions:
-are they still being made?
-are they legal in the US? Things do vary by country.
Okay, 3 questions, who makes them?
Some in our club with ham license use 53 mhz, think it is.

Offline ClaytonFirth

• Brisbane, Australia
« Reply #743 on: February 24, 2018, 11:20:08 PM »
Gerald.
Chris,
There are plenty of 433Mhz rc radio's still being made. I did a quick check on Amazon and they were available in the US, they are widely available in Australia.

I believe that you need to be a licensed Ham operator to use devices in the 433 spectrum in the US, as the DoD does use those frequencies, probably best to check with local authorities though.

I've done a lot of commercial work with 433Mhz devices in a variety of conditions. The best i had was working on a quarry in NZ, we had a bunch of transmitters mounted on loaders and sending telemetry from load cells in the buckets back to a controller. The loaders could operate up to 5-6 km without line of site before we got issues.

CF

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #744 on: February 24, 2018, 11:46:56 PM »
Gerald.
Chris,
There are plenty of 433Mhz rc radio's still being made. I did a quick check on Amazon and they were available in the US, they are widely available in Australia.

I believe that you need to be a licensed Ham operator to use devices in the 433 spectrum in the US, as the DoD does use those frequencies, probably best to check with local authorities though.

I've done a lot of commercial work with 433Mhz devices in a variety of conditions. The best i had was working on a quarry in NZ, we had a bunch of transmitters mounted on loaders and sending telemetry from load cells in the buckets back to a controller. The loaders could operate up to 5-6 km without line of site before we got issues.

CF
Thanks for the info! I guess its since the 433 requires the ham license that I dont see them much. Though, just took a look around on the web, and I am not seeing much of anything in 433 for the RC model market, with joystick type transmitters, receiver/servos, that sort of kit. It all seems to be other type devices, for things like you describe rather than the models.

Offline bouch

« Reply #745 on: February 25, 2018, 02:01:19 PM »

On a side note, Live Steam has put up the cover for the next issue on their website, should look familiar to those who followed my last build!

I should be getting my copies soon, so back to staring at the mailbox between making submarine parts...

I got my copy earlier this week.  Looking forward to reading the articles.

But, last night I was rummaging through old photo albums, and instead of finding the photos I was looking for, I found the photos of when Clark's Trading Post brought their Lombard to the Model T Snowmobile meet in Thornton, NH.  It was on Feb 24, 2001.  They had a large, open field to run on, and it was a pretty cold day, so lots of good steam.

<Edit> - ok, why is my image not showing?  - Here's the URL... </Edit>
https://www.flickr.com/photos/50387839@N03/40476486481/in/dateposted-public/

I have more, if you're interested...
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 05:45:55 PM by Jo »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #746 on: February 25, 2018, 03:47:40 PM »

On a side note, Live Steam has put up the cover for the next issue on their website, should look familiar to those who followed my last build!

I should be getting my copies soon, so back to staring at the mailbox between making submarine parts...

I got my copy earlier this week.  Looking forward to reading the articles.

But, last night I was rummaging through old photo albums, and instead of finding the photos I was looking for, I found the photos of when Clark's Trading Post brought their Lombard to the Model T Snowmobile meet in Thornton, NH.  It was on Feb 24, 2001.  They had a large, open field to run on, and it was a pretty cold day, so lots of good steam.

<Edit> - ok, why is my image not showing?  - Here's the URL... </Edit>
https://www.flickr.com/photos/50387839@N03/40476486481/in/dateposted-public/

I have more, if you're interested...
Thanks Bouch, that looks like a fun day!

I have looked at Clark Tradings websites, they don't say anything about the Lombard, which puzzles me. Its still there, i gather, but they don't seem to be running it anymore.

For pictures, use the little rectangular button next to the youtube button to pop up the dialog to put the url in, then it will show in the post.

Offline Mikem

« Reply #747 on: February 25, 2018, 05:36:50 PM »
That was an awesome weekend of lombarding but cold , I think it took me the rest of the year to warm up . The coolest thing was watching how to replace the belts in a model t tranny on Friday nite !

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #748 on: February 25, 2018, 11:45:47 PM »
Well, some good news finally: the tooth is finally on the mend, swelling in jaw is almost gone, lots of sleep the last day/night, and I felt up to a bunch of shop time today!  Got just a bit more to do on the submarine, then will be back at the Marion again this week. Thanks all for your patience!

:cheers:

Offline bouch

« Reply #749 on: February 26, 2018, 12:30:53 AM »
Thanks Bouch, that looks like a fun day!

I have looked at Clark Tradings websites, they don't say anything about the Lombard, which puzzles me. Its still there, i gather, but they don't seem to be running it anymore.

It's definitely still there, last I saw it (about 1.5 years ago) it was under a shelter across the tracks from the brick enginehouse, up by the covered bridge.  I'm assuming it hasn't moved lately.

Whether or not it runs any given year depends on a bunch of factors, including (but not limited to)
- What they're working on over the winter.  Between then and now, they rebuilt EB&L #5, They acquired a 44 tonner, and the usual maintenance on the rolling stock. Recently, They've had to do a lot of work on the climax, needed new gears between the engine and the driveshafts.  They've also been reassembling the Heisler (although I understand it won't run again, just on display.)
- How much snow there is.  As you can imagine, they need a good base of snow to run it.  Some winters have had relatively little snow, and they don't run it in the summer (too busy with the railroad)
- Health.  Dave Clark has had his share of health issues over the past few years, which hasn't helped.

They haven't even had their "Steam Weekend" for the past few years for combinations of these reasons, and that's during their operating season.  I have been told they're having one this year, but I don't know the dates yet.  (Usually in September, after the busiest part of the tourist season)  When I find out, I'll let you know so you can make the trip and get your model a photo with another full sized one.  And I'm sure Dave, Leon, and others would love to see it.

That was an awesome weekend of lombarding but cold , I think it took me the rest of the year to warm up . The coolest thing was watching how to replace the belts in a model t tranny on Friday nite !

Cold is an understatement.  I walked the length of the field to get photos from "the other end", and with the wind blowing across the field, I couldn't feel just about anything by the time I got back.  (the field was probably 1/2 mile long).  I was invited to drive it, and it was quite an interesting sensation when steering; my back was warm, but my front was half frozen.  Pulling the throttle was a lot warmer!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal