Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 572901 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #675 on: February 09, 2018, 02:25:31 PM »
Hi Chris,
 You got it! Somebody from the UK can probably tell us we’re it is, looks to be a historic town / Museum, & then find some more info on the shovel.
 On theboiler front, why not just buy one! There is a company , or at least there was, that made the boilers, pretty sure I saw that on the UK Steam car web site.

Cheers Kerrin
Buy the boiler? They make them at scale model size? I am not building a full size car!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #676 on: February 09, 2018, 02:27:18 PM »
HI Chaps here is me pretending to be a proud owner of several steam cars !! I did travel shotgun in one and the acceleration was amazing...!!! also a pic of a steam engine conversion for a Morris Minor.  All in Norwich blighty !! I lost count of the number of taps cocks and valves !!
Beautiful pictures! (Of the cars that is!   :Lol:  )

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #677 on: February 09, 2018, 09:08:06 PM »
This morning got started on the sheave for the chain pulley on the bucket yoke (hmmm, that looks like one of those phrase-names that come out as one long neat word in German). Started with a chunk of 1.25" steel bar centered up in the 4-jaw, used a parting tool to make the groove in the center that every other link sets into, then took one side down to shape, leaving the hub for the axle. Went back and forth with the turning bit and the boring bit to get the recess in the side shaped in.

Then turned the part around, and did the same to the other side, taking it to final thickness too.

And finished off by drilling/reaming the axle hole...

By then, the second coat of paint had been baked on to the bucket and dipper handle, so I got everything reassembled again. Took a few turns of a reamer on some of the holes that had gotten paint in them, and a few scrapes on the latch bar, but it is back working like it did before the paint. Here are a few pictures of everything:

So far so good!

Next will continue on with the chain pulley frame.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 08:59:00 PM by crueby »

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
« Reply #678 on: February 09, 2018, 09:13:51 PM »
Gosh, it looks spectacular.

--Tim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #679 on: February 09, 2018, 09:17:20 PM »
Gosh, it looks spectacular.

--Tim
Thanks Tim! 

Every new part makes me realize how big a model this is going to be! Probably will travel in two cases to keep it manageable. The recent work on the crowd engine design proves it was a good decision to go this large though, the crowd and slew engines will be fairly small, and the steering engine is 30% smaller than that. Fortunately the hoist engine is a biggie (at least by comparison).

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #680 on: February 10, 2018, 01:29:45 AM »
Hi Chris,
 Just figured that as each of the models you've built, Shay Lombard & Marion, have got progressively bigger ........Now you are telling us the Marion is going to be BIG & you will need to brake it down to take it places it just  shows that a full size Stanley with TRAILER for the Marion is the way to go!  :lolb: Zee will be with me on this!  :ROFL: :ROFL: :lolb:

Jerry thanks for the link.....off to check it out!!

Steam Guy,
 You big show off!!! Hope you didn't dribble TOO much on them! Would love to be able to check them out! Have friend who has a White steam car, Dad & I are helpful engineers on it & get to go for a ride. I posted a picture of the spare engine under re-build here a while back.

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #681 on: February 10, 2018, 03:40:22 AM »
Hi Chris,
 Just figured that as each of the models you've built, Shay Lombard & Marion, have got progressively bigger ........Now you are telling us the Marion is going to be BIG & you will need to brake it down to take it places it just  shows that a full size Stanley with TRAILER for the Marion is the way to go!  :lolb: Zee will be with me on this!  :ROFL: :ROFL: :lolb:

Jerry thanks for the link.....off to check it out!!

Steam Guy,
 You big show off!!! Hope you didn't dribble TOO much on them! Would love to be able to check them out! Have friend who has a White steam car, Dad & I are helpful engineers on it & get to go for a ride. I posted a picture of the spare engine under re-build here a while back.

Cheers Kerrin
Kerrin, You have a very good point!

I know how to resolve this. Zee, put your new shop and all the machines on that trailer, bring it up here, and we can connect it to the back of my house. Then, illI start building full size Stanley Steamers!!   :Lol:

Seems perfectly logical to me!

:cheers:

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #682 on: February 10, 2018, 03:42:56 AM »
Chris,
 Sounds like a cunning plan to me!! Zee you on board with this??? Go on you know you want to!! :ThumbsUp:

Right back to your normal channel........ :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #683 on: February 10, 2018, 02:37:51 PM »

Therein lies the problem.  :)
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #684 on: February 10, 2018, 06:28:36 PM »

Therein lies the problem.  :)

"Logic is a pretty flower that smells baad!"

:ROFL:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #685 on: February 10, 2018, 10:33:33 PM »
After some playing with the chains i have, with the first sheave, not really happy with it. The real chain proportion is close enough for the length and width of the links, but the wire is just too thin for the right look.

So, spent some time with Fusion, and drew up a fixture to bend thicker rod into links, going to see what making my own is like. After the 4 and 6 piece links on the Lombard, how bad can one piece links be?   What? That bad? Oh, well!   :Lol:

I have enough 3/32 rod to test with, if it works out I will have to order another bundle of it, to make several feet of it. The links are open ovals, about 4 to the inch. This rod is tough enough that it won't need soldering, at least.

Have to see what bribes the shop elves want per foot of chain...

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
ShaylocoDan

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #687 on: February 11, 2018, 01:48:08 AM »
That chain Dan found looks right. The links are just oval, not elongated like the one you have. Might be too big though...

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #688 on: February 11, 2018, 01:52:31 AM »
Chris here is some chain that might be big enough for the job.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Strong-Heavy-11-13-15mm-Mens-Stainless-Steel-Silver-O-Link-Chain-Necklace-7-40/352272588412?var=621680080360&hash=item5205151e7c:m:m0jxj2btvNdRCVaehp6eJ1w

Dan
Hi Dan,

Thats definitely a good proportion, but those are too large, also with jewelry chain its usually too shiny. The chain I need would be 3/32 thick bar, 5/16 wide overall by 7/16 long overall links, not an easy combination to find. Probably out there somewhere, there are just SO many listings!

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
« Reply #689 on: February 11, 2018, 02:07:49 AM »
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 03:10:20 PM by Dan Rowe »
ShaylocoDan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal