Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 573280 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #660 on: February 06, 2018, 11:34:30 PM »
I'll ask one more time, why not try it the way I made the hex nuts smaller, with a set of normal hex nuts held on a bolt in the square collet block, and mill the sides down to square. Worked great and fast for making small hex ones, no drilling or tapping time needed at all. Seems like it would work for the square nuts just as easy as the hex ones I did.

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #661 on: February 06, 2018, 11:54:43 PM »
Chris, I don't think shape even matters. If it can be grabbed.... grab it!! Sure, the fellows lucky enough to have shape collets it makes sense for them. But with the Sherline I think I would do what you did..did.

:cheers:

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #662 on: February 07, 2018, 02:12:55 AM »
Chris, I don't think shape even matters. If it can be grabbed.... grab it!! Sure, the fellows lucky enough to have shape collets it makes sense for them. But with the Sherline I think I would do what you did..did.

Pete
I only have the round collets - its the holder that is hex or square. Taking a couple passes with an  end mill on off-the-shelf nuts is a whole lot faster than spotting, drilling, tapping, parting from square stock.

Anyway, back to the Marion!

Today was spent on the computer, designing up the model version of the slew/crowd/steering engine internals. As you may recall, those engines use a very complex set of passages and valves to combine the throttle and fwd/reverse into one central valve inside the engine, with no Stephenson links at all, just a single eccentric per cylinder. It makes use of a lot of extra passages in the block, and a double-level D-valve slider on each cylinder. I had designed up a simplified version that I figured would work for the model, and today I finally started merging that design into the 3D model of the real one.

All went well, till it worked out that the central valve would have been too large to fit the casing at this scale - the o-rings it needed took up too much length. So, a small redesign using a second d-valve, and it looks like it will fit. I have the 2D sketch done up in Fusion for the central valve and the cylinder valves, ready to start extruding out to 3D. It turned out (not surprisingly) to need a different throw on the main eccentrics than the original, so I took a side trip to remake the eccentrics and straps in the 3D model also.

Should be able to finish up the 3D model work tomorrow, and get back into the shop on Thursday.

Offline RonGinger

• Boothbay Maine USA
    • Pleasant Cove Models
« Reply #663 on: February 07, 2018, 02:17:47 PM »
The square nuts I need are 3-48. That is .156 across the flats. I dont have a square collet that small.  The across points is .220, so I could use a 1/4" collet on round stock, then put that in a square collet block and mill the 4 sides. My smallest parting tool will waste 1 nut for everyone I get.

Its going to be slow, but I only need 12 of them, and we are forecast for a big snow today, so I guess I will just hunker down and make them.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #664 on: February 07, 2018, 09:23:03 PM »
This morning I finished up the 3D cad work for the slew/crowd engines, I think. Still need to make up the 2D drawings for them, but that can be done piecemeal as I work on the booms, going to be a while before I get to the actual engines though I wanted to make sure they would work out.

Back in the shop this afternoon, finishing up the dipper booms. I made up 8 stepped nuts, with the round portion turned to fit in the countersunk holes around the threaded rod holding the gear racks in place.

Then loctited and tightened up those in the holes, cut them off and ground them flush with the tops of the booms, so they look like the rivets around them. On the real thing, they were riveted in place, but I did not want to risk the damage to the gear teeth.

As you can see, I also installed another layer of brass at the back end of the rack, held on with loctite and the rearmost bolt, and tapered them off on the belt sander.
I think this completes all the fab work on the dipper booms, and tomorrow I can get them re-assembled and painted (want to let the loctite cure up solid overnight first). The bucket shell will be painted at the same time, using the bake-on enamel I used on the bucket door.
Next parts will be the chain pulley that attaches to the middle of the bucket yoke. I found some steel chain that is pretty close to the accurate scale size, and will be using that for the main hoist and slew chains. Here is what the pulley looks like:

It has the pulley sheave enclosed in a sheet metal wrapper, with heavy straps down the sides. I'll be putting in the missing rivets and spacer sheet on the left edge, though!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 08:58:24 PM by crueby »

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #665 on: February 07, 2018, 09:44:52 PM »
Looking good Chris!

Ron,
 For a skinny parting off blade use a piece of hacksaw blade, they work great, just gotta take your time on steel etc.
 I had a whole lot of “ special cups” to make from nylon for my ride trolleys I cunning used 3 blades side by side, 2 cut the spigot, with the added bonus ( very cleaverly designed......NOT! ) so that the 2 blades had a slight gap which gave a ring around the spigot to help hold the cup in & the 3rd cut it to lengthworked a treat! Had 90 odd to make so had to come up with something to make it easy!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #666 on: February 07, 2018, 11:22:21 PM »
Always a pleasure to see more progress and setups Dog....... :cheers:

Don

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #667 on: February 09, 2018, 12:28:17 AM »
Hi Zee,
 MAYBE this will get Chris de-railed! IF he watches it right thru & looks in the background there’s something there that just might interest him any way!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB9wjUlcFBk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB9wjUlcFBk</a>

Cheers Kerrin

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #668 on: February 09, 2018, 01:01:58 AM »
Hi Zee,
 MAYBE this will get Chris de-railed! IF he watches it right thru & looks in the background there’s something there that just might interest him any way!

[youtube1]https://youtu.be/oB9wjUlcFBk[/youtube1]

Cheers Kerrin
Great tutorial on the Stanley's, very interesting!

I take it you mean the nice old Ruston shovel off to the left? I wanted him to go circle back on that!!

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #669 on: February 09, 2018, 01:53:33 AM »
Loved that video Kerrin! That was excellent! Thank you.

I did not notice anything in the background. How could I? This was all about the Stanley.

That was right good.

Chris...get your head out of the bucket. Stanley next!  :lolb:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #670 on: February 09, 2018, 01:56:51 AM »
This afternoon I got the dipper parts painted and baked, after cooling down i found some thin spots, so will give it another touch-up coat tomorrow. While it was baking, went through the plans looking at the chain sheaves, think I'll make them all up at once while making the yoke pulley.

Assuming I don't get derailed and build a Stanley!   :Lol:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #671 on: February 09, 2018, 02:01:52 AM »
Loved that video Kerrin! That was excellent! Thank you.

I did not notice anything in the background. How could I? This was all about the Stanley.

That was right good.

Chris...get your head out of the bucket. Stanley next!  :lolb:
We agree then, Stanley NEXT! After the Marion, that is!   :stickpoke:

Actually, after the Marion, need to decide if I build a large scale Stanley engine from the plans I have, or a small engine as part of a working car? Or both? Need to investigate the boiler for it, the German car plans are pretty complex.

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #672 on: February 09, 2018, 05:55:23 AM »
Hi Chris,
 You got it! Somebody from the UK can probably tell us we’re it is, looks to be a historic town / Museum, & then find some more info on the shovel.
 On theboiler front, why not just buy one! There is a company , or at least there was, that made the boilers, pretty sure I saw that on the UK Steam car web site.

Cheers Kerrin

Offline Steam Haulage

• Notts UK
« Reply #673 on: February 09, 2018, 11:02:24 AM »
It's at the Beamish Museum in the North of England http://www.beamish.org.uk/

Riding Shotgun is DoubleBoost John who has run a workshop and engineering interest channel for some years showing his activities and interests Just search YouTube for DoubleBoost.

Jerry
Dogs look up to you, cats look down on you, pigs treat you as equal.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #674 on: February 09, 2018, 01:32:46 PM »
HI Chaps here is me pretending to be a proud owner of several steam cars !! I did travel shotgun in one and the acceleration was amazing...!!! also a pic of a steam engine conversion for a Morris Minor.  All in Norwich blighty !! I lost count of the number of taps cocks and valves !!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal