Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 573446 times)

Online sco

Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #555 on: January 21, 2018, 07:55:57 AM »
That action looks perfect and sounds good too!

Great job Chris.

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #556 on: January 21, 2018, 10:31:38 AM »
Hi Chris,
 Now that is very slick! Great job!

Right back to  :popcorn:

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #557 on: January 21, 2018, 01:53:16 PM »
Excellent result...I love the positive click when it shuts :ThumbsUp:    A  lovely model in it's own right. Well Done.         Terry

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #558 on: January 21, 2018, 02:26:23 PM »
Thanks guys!

The one thing I have not been that happy with is the durability of the paint (duplicolor auto lacquer) with all the handling. I just ordered a can of DuraBake gun finish to try, been recommended to me from several sources, it normally requires an hour back at 350 but can also cure with just 180 for 3 hours, so will be safe for the soldered parts on the bucket shell. Should be interesting to see how it compares - I'll update after that arrives and I can test it, in a week or two...

Next up I think is the dipper boom. The real ones are in two long beams, each a oak spar with a steel plate wrapper, all bolted/riveted together. The rivets were ground off flush, so the boom would slide through the opening in the main boom smoothly. I need to look at the stock I have to decide if I will piece it up or just make it from one piece of bar stock. The seams and rivets may just be simulated, lightly cut in. The gear rack will be interesting to do, never cut a 'flat' gear before, may need to make up a longer arbor for the gear cutter to get the length needed.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #559 on: January 21, 2018, 04:27:22 PM »
I checked my metal stocks - I have some bar I could use to make the dipper handle (boom) out of one piece, but it would be quite heavy. So, decided to piece it up with the wood core like the original and rivet it together. I didn't have enough thin/wide stock (dipper needs 1/16" x 1", main boom 1/16" x 2" stock for the sides), so sent in an order to McMaster for some, should have it in a few days if they hold true to form.

So, in the meantime I'll start on the fitting that goes between the end of the handle and the bucket - on the original this was a big casting, I'll be piecing it up out of bar stock and milling in the fingers. Here is what it will look like:

Should be able to make it out of two plates, silver soldered together. The tapers will require the tilt table on the mill, most likely. The two booms go into the slots shown in the second photo, the fingers on the front in the first photo fit into the back of the bucket.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 08:50:59 PM by crueby »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #560 on: January 21, 2018, 09:08:48 PM »
Started on the dipper end fitting - got the two blocks to make it up cut down and trimmed to length/width from larger bar, and started in on milling the slots for the dipper side rails to fit into. I am going to mill the slots in both parts first, then silver solder them together, so that the slots can go all the way through to the ends.
Here are the raw blocks:

and after milling the slots in the lower block.

The slots are .375 wide, and need to be positioned properly in relation to the sides of the block, so I started with a .250 end mill, and made several passes to get the slots started and taken to depth, staying within the layout lines I sketched on. Then, once I was to the full depth, made passes on just the inner edges of each slot to get those edges the same distance from the sides and the right distance (.625) apart. Then, took each slot to its desired width one at a time.
Next time I will do similar steps to the end block to put in its pattern of slots, then screw them together for silver soldering (I've tried using wire to hold parts together, but too often wind up melting through the wire and the parts shift).
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 08:51:13 PM by crueby »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #561 on: January 21, 2018, 09:38:06 PM »
Amazing stuff Chris, I am just checking in on progress and saw the video for the first time....love it!!!

Bill

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #562 on: January 21, 2018, 09:40:22 PM »
Kerrin said it well..."very slick".
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #563 on: January 21, 2018, 10:05:01 PM »
Laying out the stock for the booms, and I'm getting a better feel for how big this beastie is going to be! The sides on the main boom are nearly 2 inches tall!   :paranoia:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #564 on: January 22, 2018, 12:43:04 AM »
Next step on the dipper handle front fitting, milled the slots in the upright block. These slots dont go all the way through, there is a cross-bar part way along it. So, took out the bulk with the 1/4" cutter like on the other block:

then came back with a smaller cutter to make the corner radii smaller:

Here are the blocks so far, ready to drill/tap for some small screws to hold them together for silver soldering - they will go into the narrow parts of the webs, since the thicker section will have a pivot pin hole bored through, and I don't want to interfere with that.

The blocks still need the bolt/pivot holes drilled, as well as having some of the faces beveled - going to have to make sure I do that in an order which allows for holding everything in the vise.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 08:51:28 PM by crueby »

Offline ClaytonFirth

• Brisbane, Australia
« Reply #565 on: January 22, 2018, 12:56:22 AM »
Brilliant work Chris.
I'm a relative newcomer hear, and only found your Lombard project last week. I'm now up to date with the Lombard and the Marion projects and would just like to add my sincerest appreciation of the work you do. Bloody amazing. One day hopefully i might have enough of a workshop to do just part of what you do. For now, i just satisfy myself with designing models in Fusion.

:popcorn:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #566 on: January 22, 2018, 01:15:51 AM »
Brilliant work Chris.
I'm a relative newcomer hear, and only found your Lombard project last week. I'm now up to date with the Lombard and the Marion projects and would just like to add my sincerest appreciation of the work you do. Bloody amazing. One day hopefully i might have enough of a workshop to do just part of what you do. For now, i just satisfy myself with designing models in Fusion.

:popcorn:
Thanks Clayton! I took it the other way around - workshop first, then learned(ing) Fusion, having a ball with both!

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #567 on: January 22, 2018, 03:57:41 AM »
Hi Chris,
This  :popcorn: munching is getting addictive! Having to wash it down :DrinkPint: !

Just one question on the drawing of the front fitting you show 4 “slots” on the machined part you have cut only 2, with my  :DrinkPint: did I miss something or have you got a cunning plan & all will be revealed in the next installment?

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #568 on: January 22, 2018, 04:29:55 AM »
Hi Chris,
This  :popcorn: munching is getting addictive! Having to wash it down :DrinkPint: !

Just one question on the drawing of the front fitting you show 4 “slots” on the machined part you have cut only 2, with my  :DrinkPint: did I miss something or have you got a cunning plan & all will be revealed in the next installment?

Cheers Kerrin
Ding! 

We have a winner!!

Excellent catch - after I posted the drawing, i was looking back at my photos to see where the bolts were, and noticed that I had goofed on the drawings. Well, sort of. I had drawn that part from one of their catalog illustrations, which did not match this shovel. So, I fixed the 3d model before cutting the slots. I was wondering if anyone would notice, was going to wait a couple days before showing the correction.

Take two cookies out of petty cash!

:cheers:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #569 on: January 22, 2018, 04:32:14 AM »
Oh, and there will be 2-1/2 slots, the top bar in the middle gets divided with a narrow slot, got tired and stopped before that last cut. If you look really close in the last photo, you can make out that detail in the plan behind the part.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal