Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 574085 times)

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #525 on: January 11, 2018, 03:51:37 AM »
Chris,
 I dare say this will most likely be more spectacular than the Lombard, if that's at all possible.
I really enjoy following along with your construction processes because I learn something new every time.
gbritnell
Thanks very much George, I'm a big fan of your work! This is looking to be a huge bit of fun for me, combining all the mechanisms and types of work in one thing that (hopefully) operates. Maybe its my background as a carver/sculptor that makes me take a different approach to some of the problems. Or that I have no formal training in machining, so I pick different methods. Anyway, its fun!

It's funny Chris...............as I've been reading your posts................I've been thinking the same thing. You're taking machines and tools that normally create parts that are made to some exact measurement and are creating parts that I'd more associate with art. Well done!  :ThumbsUp:

Jim

Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #526 on: January 15, 2018, 07:32:28 PM »
Back from Cabin Fever, will be starting up the Marion build again this week - see photos over on the CF thread in the Shows forum....

One other bit of news I can finally announce after another meeting with the editors at the show. The build of my Lombard Log Hauler will be starting as the cover story in Live Steam/Outdoor Railroading magazine starting in the March issue! It will include full plan sets for the model, along with much of what you read in the build thread on the forums here. Very exciting (for me, anyway!). The build will be spread over a bunch of issues, they dont know how many yet, but probably 8 or 10.

Back to unpacking the rest of the models/tools/purchases from the show, then probably more work on the Marion bucket tomorrow...

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #527 on: January 15, 2018, 10:11:03 PM »
Congratulations on the Live Steam deal!  That is super cool :)
Maybe I'll have to sign up for the Live Steam mag now.  I've been considering it, but haven't done it yet.

That is really great Chris!
Kim

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #528 on: January 15, 2018, 11:00:45 PM »
I dare say this will most likely be more spectacular than the Lombard, if that's at all possible.

No doubt with respect to the first part...as to the last part...he could have done the Stanley....durn him.  ;D
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #529 on: January 15, 2018, 11:07:57 PM »

No doubt with respect to the first part...as to the last part...he could have done the Stanley....durn him.  ;D
After the shovel, promise!!   :cheers:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #530 on: January 15, 2018, 11:09:49 PM »
Maybe I'll have to sign up for the Live Steam mag now.  I've been considering it, but haven't done it yet.

Kim
If they could get more article submissions, especially on things other than just trains, they'd go back to monthly issues. They pay for articles, everyone start writing!!

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #531 on: January 15, 2018, 11:24:22 PM »

Kim
If they could get more article submissions, especially on things other than just trains, they'd go back to monthly issues. They pay for articles, everyone start writing!!

Oh, missed that. Congratulations!!

There's a lot of members who could provide very interesting articles.
I could only comment in the peanut section.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #532 on: January 17, 2018, 08:30:18 PM »
Thanks Zee!

And pass the peanuts!

------

Yes, I am back working on the model again, been spending most of the time in Fusion working on the rest of the plan sheets, so nothing to show from the shop. Also been getting some time in on the sea turtle sub mechanisms.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #533 on: January 18, 2018, 03:31:19 AM »
Back from Cabin Fever, will be starting up the Marion build again this week - see photos over on the CF thread in the Shows forum....

One other bit of news I can finally announce after another meeting with the editors at the show. The build of my Lombard Log Hauler will be starting as the cover story in Live Steam/Outdoor Railroading magazine starting in the March issue! It will include full plan sets for the model, along with much of what you read in the build thread on the forums here. Very exciting (for me, anyway!). The build will be spread over a bunch of issues, they dont know how many yet, but probably 8 or 10.

Back to unpacking the rest of the models/tools/purchases from the show, then probably more work on the Marion bucket tomorrow...

This is really great news Chris........congratulations.  :ThumbsUp:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline jschoenly

« Reply #534 on: January 18, 2018, 02:29:14 PM »
Chris - You are out of control.  In a fantastic and crazy manner that I can dig (get it, shovel, ha!), you are out of control.  The modeling, rendering, animation, the assemblies (the chain everywhere over pulleys??) and all of it is just awesome.  I wish I was a little less crazy at Cabin Fever to get to sit down and chat with everyone more, but it was great to at least chat for a few.  Congrats on the articles coming and keep up the great work.  I will certainly be following and now I know who I'll come to with Fusion Questions!  :)
Jared
                                 Cabin Fever Expo
--- Model Engineering and Home Shop Hobbies in all Forms! ---

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #535 on: January 18, 2018, 03:10:39 PM »
Chris - You are out of control.  In a fantastic and crazy manner that I can dig (get it, shovel, ha!), you are out of control.  The modeling, rendering, animation, the assemblies (the chain everywhere over pulleys??) and all of it is just awesome.  I wish I was a little less crazy at Cabin Fever to get to sit down and chat with everyone more, but it was great to at least chat for a few.  Congrats on the articles coming and keep up the great work.  I will certainly be following and now I know who I'll come to with Fusion Questions!  :)
It was great to meet a bunch of the group in person finally! I had a great time at the show, car came home a bit heavier with the purchases there, great to see the products at the vendors in person to see what the tools/castings are really like.
 :cheers:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #536 on: January 18, 2018, 03:24:41 PM »
Another update on the sea turtle sub - got the articulation mechanisms worked up yesterday that will go in the neck, tail, and flippers. They all have a flexible plastic rod as a core, and Kydex plastic panels along the length with stainless steel cables down the sides. The cables are fixed at the outer end, and flex the assembly when the inner ends are pulled. Here is a picture of what they look like at rest (picture is on its side, the camera flipped it)

The one I am holding is for the neck. In the background, you can see two of the flipper ones that already have a curve in them - the cables on the sides were epoxied in the pulled-to-one-side position, to give them a curve to fit the shape of the front flippers, which curve out from the body and back along the sides of the shell.
And here is what happens when I pull the cable on the left, it curves the whole thing to the left:

And sqame on the right cable, curves to the right:

Here is a better shot of one of the flippers pulled to one side with a blank background:

These will be surrounded by molded rubber 'skins' for the flippers, cast from the master parts that I showed in earlier posts.

Anyway, enough side tracking (swimming?) - back to the Marion shovel bucket for today!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 08:49:44 PM by crueby »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #537 on: January 18, 2018, 04:58:46 PM »
Back on the Marion bucket again...  Started by milling the tab on the end of the door latch bar, and drilling a close fit 1-72 clearance hole.

Then cut it to length, and filed a radius on the end so that it will push back on the striker plate when closing, just like a normal house door latch does.

Now on to the fiddly-bits - the levers that make up the latch mechanism. The first lever is wider than the others, so started with some wider bar, drilled/tapped the 1-72 holes:

The links were cut off from the bar, and the taper and round ends done on the belt sander. Then made up the second link, and also the short link for the other end. Here it is assembled (the bolts will be trimmed to length later, easier to handle with them left long for now).

and test fit where they will go:

« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 08:49:51 PM by crueby »

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #538 on: January 18, 2018, 05:08:29 PM »
Congrats on the magazine coverage Chris well deserved. .... :praise2:

Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #539 on: January 18, 2018, 06:30:23 PM »
Thanks Don!

Next linkage in line is the final cross-link, with a split yoke at one end that goes around the middle link and anchors at the end to an adjusting screw. To make the yoke, I took two lengths of flat stock, bent a jog in the middle (reused the chain bending jig from the Lombard) and clamped it with a spacer.

After a little silver solder and a little heat from the torch, then a little filing, I had a little link ready for some little drills and 1-72 threads!

Here it is test fit on the bucket.

Next up is to make the brackets that the short link in the upper left bolts to, and the adjusting bracket that the lower right of the yoke attaches to. The left end of the yoke bar gets the chain back to the lever on the dipper boom.

How many of you are getting the song stuck in your head, The Ankle Lever attaches to the, Leg Lever...!  :Lol:
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 08:49:59 PM by crueby »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal