Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 573660 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #510 on: January 09, 2018, 01:47:08 PM »
Yep, two links between the bar and the bolt! Free floating...

Geez you took some great pics!

Pete
Only a couple of thousand! Takes a lot to cover a 75' 110 ton machine!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #511 on: January 09, 2018, 01:49:18 PM »
By Jove, Looks like Mike cracked it!!

Had both the PC & my phone open last night, so I could zoom in on phone to the earlier pics, pretty hard to see but your latest pic shows it well...well better! The tar spray makes it hard to pick the detail. One more thought....would that little short bar be free to pivot just enuff to allow Bar B to maintain its position as it as the latch would keep it from moving anywhere? Looks also like the Bar F "support is "L" shaped, the low side the pivot point for the short bar & the long leg the anchor point for bar F.

Keep up the good work...the turtle head is looking good!

Cheers Kerrin
That's my take too, the short link is on a lower post from the same bracket, you can see the flat base plate they are on, riveted to the door.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #512 on: January 09, 2018, 01:55:57 PM »
I believe that the "F Bolt" is a pivot too, and that explain why they needed the "F Bar" to support it.
One link will not give a parallel movement, but two can - or in this case a short link conneted to a "link" that has an offset and it can turn on a pivot.

Sorry but no way of making a drawing to post here at work ....
The bar F is there to keep the other long bar, with the chain, from sagging down. This is not a watts type parallel motion setup, the latch bar is in two separate guides to keep it straight, this short link is just to prevent binding of the cross link. At least that is my current understanding. If you can sketch up something later that would be great. Mocking it up with a bar, it seems to work well with just the one pivot on the short link. I'll update the 3d model and post that later this afternoon.

Thanks to all!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #513 on: January 09, 2018, 07:21:37 PM »
And here is the updated drawing with the short link pivot moved to where the green arrow is pointing, underneath the retaining bar. I've run some mockups, and it all seems to be able to move cleanly now. It takes very little movement on the short link to let the main latch bar slide cleanly inside its two guides.

Thanks you guys!!

:cheers:

« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 08:48:44 PM by crueby »

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #514 on: January 09, 2018, 08:18:13 PM »
This little investigative set of posts is a testament to the quality of our membership:  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: guys.

Cletus

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #515 on: January 09, 2018, 09:14:42 PM »
Ah I think I got it now - the problem was that I "Ass-U-Me-d" that the bar across the latch and the latch solid fixed together  :facepalm: sorry  :-[

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #516 on: January 09, 2018, 09:56:33 PM »
Ah I think I got it now - the problem was that I "Ass-U-Me-d" that the bar across the latch and the latch solid fixed together  :facepalm: sorry  :-[
Ah, no, its another pivot there.

Sounds like a consensus!  Thanks guys!!

Between bouts of packing for the show, one of the square holes in the latch guides is filed to shape. One more, and I can get them drilled and riveted on.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #517 on: January 10, 2018, 03:54:18 PM »
Got the holes squared up in the other guide bar, and drilled/riveted them in place. Drilled one side of first rail, put in the rivets to hold it, then drilled the other side.

Same on the second rail:

And the measuring/marking worked, it fits!

The latch bar is not to length yet, just a piece from the stock bin for test fit.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 08:49:01 PM by crueby »

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #518 on: January 10, 2018, 04:49:23 PM »
Great start on the latch, Chris!
Now for all the lever action!  :popcorn:
Kim

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #519 on: January 10, 2018, 04:53:45 PM »
Chris, can you do an animation in your software to show the link movement(s). Still trying to wrap my head around it all :)

Bill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #520 on: January 10, 2018, 06:59:06 PM »
Chris, can you do an animation in your software to show the link movement(s). Still trying to wrap my head around it all :)

Bill
Should be able to, probably after CF, today is packing up day, and got archery league tonight. With the sudden warm weather, taking down Christmas lights now!

Offline Steam Haulage

• Notts UK
« Reply #521 on: January 10, 2018, 07:33:59 PM »
Hi Chris,

As you know I am trying to draw the 19-RB. I have revisited your Marion thread and see that in posts 208 and 214 you have drawn the tracks in, I presume in Fusion 360. How easy was it?

Inventor seems to have a mind of its own when attempting to draw anything similar it has all sorts of design assistant options for roller chains, v-belts, gears etc. etc  . . . All the Utube videos on Caterpillar tracks in Inventor are based around modern track plates. Consequently the programme appears to force me into using the roller-chain method. I have Fusion 360 as well  and am wondering if the drawing is simpler. I can draw the sprockets and as you have seen the track plates but it's the assembly of the 3 parts that I cannot yet solve.

Perhaps Fusion allows the use of a path to generate the track assembly.

Do you have any thoughts?

Best regards
Jerry :happyreader:
Dogs look up to you, cats look down on you, pigs treat you as equal.

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #522 on: January 10, 2018, 08:03:08 PM »
Chris,
 I dare say this will most likely be more spectacular than the Lombard, if that's at all possible.
I really enjoy following along with your construction processes because I learn something new every time.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #523 on: January 10, 2018, 08:50:23 PM »
Hi Chris,

As you know I am trying to draw the 19-RB. I have revisited your Marion thread and see that in posts 208 and 214 you have drawn the tracks in, I presume in Fusion 360. How easy was it?

Inventor seems to have a mind of its own when attempting to draw anything similar it has all sorts of design assistant options for roller chains, v-belts, gears etc. etc  . . . All the Utube videos on Caterpillar tracks in Inventor are based around modern track plates. Consequently the programme appears to force me into using the roller-chain method. I have Fusion 360 as well  and am wondering if the drawing is simpler. I can draw the sprockets and as you have seen the track plates but it's the assembly of the 3 parts that I cannot yet solve.

Perhaps Fusion allows the use of a path to generate the track assembly.

Do you have any thoughts?

Best regards
Jerry :happyreader:
Well, I drew a single plate in fusion, then manually copy/pasted/moved it to form the collection of plates. They do have a path pattern tool you can use for it, but getting the length and position of that path accurate enough to make the last meet the first is beyond me,and doing it manually was pretty quick. I used the path pattern to do the chains on the turntable and boom though. Fusion can animate things in a line or circle, they don't yet do things like a chain around two sprockets. Mine just needed to be designed, I don't need it to animate.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #524 on: January 10, 2018, 08:55:32 PM »
Chris,
 I dare say this will most likely be more spectacular than the Lombard, if that's at all possible.
I really enjoy following along with your construction processes because I learn something new every time.
gbritnell
Thanks very much George, I'm a big fan of your work! This is looking to be a huge bit of fun for me, combining all the mechanisms and types of work in one thing that (hopefully) operates. Maybe its my background as a carver/sculptor that makes me take a different approach to some of the problems. Or that I have no formal training in machining, so I pick different methods. Anyway, its fun!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal