Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 573881 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #435 on: December 29, 2017, 09:41:50 PM »
That bucket looks MEAN Chris!

Still following and enjoying,

Simon.
That explains the growling from the shop!  :Lol:

I need to find some more old photos for comparison, the bucket currently on the shovel here is the 2.5 cubic yard option, the shovel came standard with a 5 cubic yard bucket, could be ordered either way or retrofitted later. Since they were digging stone at the quarry here (there is a 150 foot thick gravel/rock layer left over from the glaciers) I assume that the small bucket made more sense.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #436 on: December 31, 2017, 07:17:17 PM »
Back in the metal shop today after a couple days on the submarine molds, started in on the bucket door. Started with some 3" wide flat brass stock, which was a little thick but it was the closest stock size. I rough cut it to shape, and trimmed the outside on the grinder to round the corners and curve the front edge.

With the part held in the 4-jaw on the rotary table, milled away the center of the field to form the narrow lip that goes around the bottom edge. The straight edges were easy to do, the inside curves took some etcha-sketch type handle turning. This cut was deep enough to leave the center the proper thickness, the lip around the edge was then taken down to final thickness.

The surface was given a light sanding to blend in the tool marks from the mill, and the notch for the front latch plate was then milled in,

Here it is test fit on the bucket:

Next up is the set of hinges for the door. The hinges have the pivot point offset partway up the bucket - this makes it so that the door will self-close and latch with the bucket tipped just partway back, which it would not do with a standard hinge at the corner. I made a card stock template so that I could check the fit, and decide what stock to make it out of:

Given how wide the stock would need to be to get it out of one piece, and how much waste there would be, I think I will silver solder a length of narrower bar to a short wide piece (maybe a disc from a round bar?) and mill the shape from that instead....
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 08:44:12 PM by crueby »

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #437 on: December 31, 2017, 09:20:06 PM »
Nice work on the bucket door, Chris.  That hinge is going to be interesting to see take shape!

Kim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #438 on: December 31, 2017, 09:41:59 PM »
Nice work on the bucket door, Chris.  That hinge is going to be interesting to see take shape!

Kim
Hopefully not the Chinese curse type of interesting, as in 'May you live in interesting times'....!   :Lol:

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #439 on: December 31, 2017, 10:06:02 PM »
Guess it will depend on how mischievous you're shop elves are being, eh?  :Lol:

Kim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #440 on: January 01, 2018, 02:29:38 AM »
I was digging in the stack of bar stock, and decided to go with a single piece of wide .1875 thick steel I have, turns out that the curved section is so large (nearly 2") that it uses less stock and time than piecing it up. The interesting part is going to be holding the stock to mill the shape, going to need s good jig arrangement, since the inner and outer arcs are not concentric with each other.  :insane:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #441 on: January 01, 2018, 06:05:00 PM »
This morning got the two blanks for the hinges cut out of the larger bar, and started roughing down the shape. I traced off the cardstock template as a reference, and stayed a little outside the lines when roughing the shape in.

One down, one to go. Current thinking on the holding jig is to drill the curved tip for the pivot pin, and use that hole to bolt that end do a faceplate, and clamp the other end down to the plate. It will take a couple of holes for the bolt end, to hold the piece at the two different centerpoints for cutting the arcs.

At first I was wondering how to work out the hole positions, but then remembered that the design for the part is sitting right there in the 3D model - let the app show me the center points and offset distances!  :wallbang:
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 08:44:32 PM by crueby »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #442 on: January 02, 2018, 09:41:44 PM »
Got the hinges milled to outside profile this afternoon...

They still need to have the sides recessed in, but before I do that I need to make up a better finger plate for the rotary table, one that I can center up quickly and have a few options on the hold-down arm. I remember Brian and George, among others showing some good ones, time to make up one for myself...

Oh, and I took the full-size-dimensioned plan set for the shovel over to the historical society today, along with the bucket, that went over very well. Also delivered a disc full of renders of the 3D model, some labeled for the controls, engines, etc, for possible use in the signage they are getting made up. Sounds like the fundraising efforts to get started on the renovations will be starting soon, which is fantastic news. The tar/whatever layer that the quarry had sprayed on the exposed metal parts is finally starting to flake off, and will be trapping water, so this is great timing to get some new stabilization work done (once it warms up a little more this spring, anyway). The coating saved it for the last 50 years, but it's now or never to get it protected for the next 50.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 08:44:39 PM by crueby »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #443 on: January 02, 2018, 10:45:35 PM »
Just checking in to see how things are going Chris. Impressive as always!!

Bill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #444 on: January 02, 2018, 10:59:26 PM »
Just checking in to see how things are going Chris. Impressive as always!!

Bill
Great to have you along for another trip into swarfland!

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #445 on: January 02, 2018, 11:58:45 PM »
Chris,
Your scrolly-hinge thing looks good.   Do you have any pictures showing how you shaped it like that? It looks very tidy!
Kim

Offline kvom

« Reply #446 on: January 03, 2018, 12:29:05 AM »
Have you considered printing profiles at actual size, cutting them out, and gluing to the stock as a guide to cutting?

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #447 on: January 03, 2018, 01:07:55 AM »
Still following you Dog and enjoying it. Some nice fab work I love it gives me ideas....... :ThumbsUp:

:cheers:
Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #448 on: January 03, 2018, 02:23:03 AM »
Chris,
Your scrolly-hinge thing looks good.   Do you have any pictures showing how you shaped it like that? It looks very tidy!
Kim
I clamped it to the same sail track jig that I used on the yoke parts, on the rotary table it took several positions for the different arcs since they were not concentric. The pics came out bad, the dial on the camera got bumped.  :Mad:
I have sketched out a better fixture for finger clamping to the rotary table, will build that before making the recess cuts n the sides of the hinges. Should have better pics of that!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #449 on: January 03, 2018, 02:25:44 AM »
Have you considered printing profiles at actual size, cutting them out, and gluing to the stock as a guide to cutting?
I've done that on other parts. This time I drew it by hand with a compass and ruler on heavier card stock since I wanted to hold it in place with the door and bucket to check the fit. Templates are your friends! I buy card stock by the pile.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal