Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 573720 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #405 on: December 24, 2017, 12:21:54 AM »
That is looking good, what sort of size is this going to be if the bucket is 4-3/4 tall.Mal.
It is 1:16 scale, with the dipper at a 45 degree angle, it will be 55" long and 21" to top of the main boom.
The cab is 7.5" wide, 11.5" tall, 37.4" long, and the span of the front tracks is 18.25".
Gonna be a big beast! I should have a contest to guess the final weight. To make it manageable to move, the front turntable, or maybe just the booms, will be removable. I want to make the cab skin removable too, for work and viewing the inside.

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #406 on: December 24, 2017, 02:38:49 AM »
That's right! Never block in something that will need access later. Never fails to make life interesting.....

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #407 on: December 24, 2017, 03:01:22 AM »
Wow what a difference paint makes! Really made it come together.  :praise2: Well done.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #408 on: December 24, 2017, 06:35:53 AM »
Chris, this will sound a bit over the top, but, why not make Marion 'ride-able'? She's big enough that one could sit on the house and operate the controls..... gads that would be fun!!!

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #409 on: December 24, 2017, 12:56:48 PM »
Chris, this will sound a bit over the top, but, why not make Marion 'ride-able'? She's big enough that one could sit on the house and operate the controls..... gads that would be fun!!!

Pete
That would definitely be fun! A very slow ride, but fun! Your shop elves have been whispering in your ears as you sleep again, haven't they?!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #410 on: December 24, 2017, 01:00:26 PM »
Wow what a difference paint makes! Really made it come together.  :praise2: Well done.

Jim
It's amazing how some parts look better as raw metal, others just pop when painted. This one shows a lot better with the paint.

As I get ready to make the yoke and chain pulley, realized that I better source the chain now, so I can match the pulleys to it. Gotta dig out the clock catalogs and see what they have...

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #411 on: December 24, 2017, 03:54:01 PM »
Did a bunch of checking around, and found a couple of possible chains to use, got some ordered to see how it is in person for exact size and strength. There are lots of choices in the jewelry chain market, in brass and stainless, and also some available (mostly in the smaller sizes) in the ship model markets.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #412 on: December 24, 2017, 04:50:59 PM »
I came across this picture online, figured someone out there ought to build a herd of these to help Santa next year....

Merry Christmas all!

:bandrock:
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 08:42:34 PM by crueby »

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #413 on: December 24, 2017, 09:20:03 PM »
Dog, Dog, Dog ......Wow man you have flipped me out. I haven’t been that active on here lately but
Chris your the Tops man that is some awesome fabrication Dog. I will be following this awesome built keep feeding them elf’s cookies are cheap..... :lolb:

Merry Christmas .......
 :cheers:
Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #414 on: December 24, 2017, 10:16:27 PM »
Dog, Dog, Dog ......Wow man you have flipped me out. I haven’t been that active on here lately but
Chris your the Tops man that is some awesome fabrication Dog. I will be following this awesome built keep feeding them elf’s cookies are cheap..... :lolb:

Merry Christmas .......
 :cheers:
Don
Thanks Don! Just went and shared another handful of cookies with the elves!

Have a great Christmas!

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #415 on: December 24, 2017, 10:39:57 PM »
I came across this picture online, figured someone out there ought to build a herd of these to help Santa next year....

Merry Christmas all!

You should be done with the Marion by March or April ... Give the shop elves a raise and some Wonder Cookies and they should have at least one ready for next Xmas ....

Tom
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #416 on: December 24, 2017, 11:25:25 PM »

Merry Christmas all!

You should be done with the Marion by March or April ... Give the shop elves a raise and some Wonder Cookies and they should have at least one ready for next Xmas ....

Tom
March or April?? THIS year? Gack...

Might be easier to get the elves started on the sleigh, skip the reindeer:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #417 on: December 27, 2017, 10:13:40 PM »
Back in the shop againafter a great holiday break, time to work on the yoke that suspends the bucket from the hoist chain. Started with a block of 3/8" thick 303 stainless sawn from a larger piece of bar stock.

With the block clamped to the table, and the inner surfaces clear of the support blocks, milled the back face and the inner faces of the arms to shape - was checking the distances as I went, does not appear to be springing any noticeable amount, which is good.

The outer faces of the ends of the arms were taken to thickness - this area is parallel to the inner face, since it is within the brackets on the buckets. The portion above this area tapers out to the wider part above it.

Then the parts were clamped at an angle, and that tapered area milled to shape...

Then switched to holding it on a wood block on a faceplate held with the rotary table, and after some fiddling to get the center of the arcs in the right place, milled the inner and outer curves at the upper corners.

The part was then given a pass to thin it down to final thickness, and then the hole that holds the pulley bracket was drilled.

Here is the part propped on the bucket - next up will be to start the u-shaped clamps that go around the pins at the bottom of the yoke...

« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 08:42:53 PM by crueby »

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #418 on: December 27, 2017, 11:35:42 PM »
Chris that is beautiful.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #419 on: December 28, 2017, 12:23:31 AM »
Very nice work on the Yoke, Chris!

So, are you going to work your way down from the bucket, through the boom, to the base?
Kim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal