Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 572822 times)

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #390 on: December 23, 2017, 03:10:50 AM »
Chris.........the yoke bracket came out great as a .........................I can hardly say it....................."fake"  :LittleDevil: casting! Looks great on the bucket.  :ThumbsUp:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #391 on: December 23, 2017, 03:14:25 AM »
Chris.........the yoke bracket came out great as a .........................I can hardly say it....................."fake"  :LittleDevil: casting! Looks great on the bucket.  :ThumbsUp:

Jim
Oh, great. Now some of those casting fondlers will be invading my shop!!   :Lol:

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #392 on: December 23, 2017, 07:29:02 AM »

Jim
Oh, great. Now some of those casting fondlers will be invading my shop!!   :Lol:

From bar stock does not make it a casting  :ShakeHead: Half of the pleasure in a casting is the expectation and the required fondling, and then the second challenge is the holding while machining, achieving the item from within its casting shape constraints. Bar stock is the easy to hold and make sure the items comes out of the middle ;) and as for those bar stock fondlers  :stickpoke:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #393 on: December 23, 2017, 08:09:12 AM »
Looking good as always, should have the bucket complete by years end at this rate.

I think the biggest advantage of being a barstock muncher and fabricator is that you can model whatever you want and not be restricted to subjects somebody else has done the donkey work on. Then there is the greater number of challenges actually making the part and the reward at the end when you can say it is all your own work.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #394 on: December 23, 2017, 08:39:40 AM »
Then there is the greater number of challenges actually making the part and the reward at the end when you can say it is all your own work.

So you are telling every one that it is harder to make engines from bar stock than castings :lolb:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #395 on: December 23, 2017, 10:27:33 AM »
Definately and even more so if you start from scratch designing your own model.

If you want to carry on the discussion can you start a new thread and move these few posts there, shame to derail this one.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #396 on: December 23, 2017, 01:29:50 PM »
I think its just two approaches to the same problem. Among many. I could just as well create my own mold patterns for these parts, and cast them or have them cast - I have the woodworking skills and tools, but not the knowledge or skills or equipment for casting. Interesting that to make the molds, you need to start (unless 3d printing the master) from bar stock, even if its wood!

One nice thing about starting from bar stock is the ease in holding the parts, no worries about rough or angled edges, that sort of thing. A lot depends on how fine a casting is done, have seen some that are wonderfully detailed and fine, others done with very coarse sand that are not much use. There are also differences in available alloys, etc.

I'm sure we could get a good thread about it all, just like the ongoing thermodynamics thread we split off.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #397 on: December 23, 2017, 06:33:12 PM »
Back on the bucket, last part for the shell is the latch for the door. It sits in the middle of the bottom edge on the front, and takes a bar from the door that can be released by the secondary operator to dump the bucketfull of dirt/rock/salesmen/politcians/etc.  I started with a bar of 3/8" square bar stock, milled the opening where it fits over the bucket shell, and then tipped it up to mill the angled top faces:

Then four small holes were drilled in the corners of the opening to mark the shape, and the middle was milled out:

The front face got a further recess milled into it at the same time, extending below where the part will be cut off the larger bar. After cutting it off, the bottom edge was milled square, and the edges rounded on the belt sander.

The rivet holes were drilled in the part:

and then the part was used as a drill guide to do the holes through the bottom of the shell:

With that, the bucket shelll is complete, and is currently down in the paint area getting a coat of primer. Next up will be the yoke, I think, then the door and its latch mechanism.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 08:41:55 PM by crueby »

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #398 on: December 23, 2017, 06:53:59 PM »
Chris--I am following your build and am constantly amazed with the volume and quality of your work. It is always my first stop on any of the forums I attend.---Brian

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #399 on: December 23, 2017, 06:56:27 PM »
Chris--I am following your build and am constantly amazed with the volume and quality of your work. It is always my first stop on any of the forums I attend.---Brian
Thanks Brian - hope that someday we can meet up in person at one of the shows. Or if you fall in Lake Ontario and drift south? Nah, that would be a COLD trip!

:cheers:

Offline kvom

« Reply #400 on: December 23, 2017, 07:13:05 PM »
In the fairly near future, printing metal parts will be easier than either bar stock or castings.  In the meantime Chris is doing a helluva job, fueled by m&m's and cookies.

Despite the bucket, I'm still more impressed with the turtle.  I could make that bucket, but the turtle?  No way!   :noidea:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #401 on: December 23, 2017, 07:42:59 PM »
In the fairly near future, printing metal parts will be easier than either bar stock or castings.  In the meantime Chris is doing a helluva job, fueled by m&m's and cookies.

Despite the bucket, I'm still more impressed with the turtle.  I could make that bucket, but the turtle?  No way!   :noidea:
40 years of carving shows? I thought it was one of the simpler carving projects. Horse heads are still one of the biggest challenges, an amazingly complex shape!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #402 on: December 23, 2017, 08:22:02 PM »
A couple coats of primer and black spraypaint (automotive paints dry nice and fast, go on thin), and here we go - one Marion 91 steam shovel bucket shell!

For reference, this is 4-3/4" tall, gonna be a big model!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 08:42:04 PM by crueby »

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #403 on: December 23, 2017, 08:24:27 PM »
Incredible work Chris  :)

If there was nothing in the photo to give a sense of scale I'd have thought it was the real thing.

Offline mal webber

• Wales UK
« Reply #404 on: December 23, 2017, 11:28:12 PM »
That is looking good, what sort of size is this going to be if the bucket is 4-3/4 tall.

Mal.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal