Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 573098 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #360 on: December 19, 2017, 01:19:39 AM »
Wow, I didn't check this thread for a little bit and wham, parts are being produced at lighting speed. 

-Bob
Been getting that reaction a lot this week! Research and drawing stage finally over, time to make the swarf fly!
 :cartwheel:

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #361 on: December 19, 2017, 08:36:36 AM »
There is no stopping him :o

I wonder if the likes of powder coat and bed liner would just be a bit on the thick side even if they could be baked on and you would loose a lot of detail.

Maybe one of the firearms coatings like Gun-Kote would be better, think that can be baked at about 250F so should be under your solder temp. I seen it get good reports for hit & miss engines but not tried it as it contains something we can't use here.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #362 on: December 19, 2017, 06:44:16 PM »
There is no stopping him :o

I wonder if the likes of powder coat and bed liner would just be a bit on the thick side even if they could be baked on and you would loose a lot of detail.

Maybe one of the firearms coatings like Gun-Kote would be better, think that can be baked at about 250F so should be under your solder temp. I seen it get good reports for hit & miss engines but not tried it as it contains something we can't use here.
According to their website, the bake temperature is 300 to 325F (they do have several versions, may be a lower temp one). I know some people that may have used it, have to check with them on their experiences on how it wears. Not sure I'd want to use something that requires baking at all, unless I picked up a small portable oven - not the kind of thing I want to use in the kitchen oven!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #363 on: December 19, 2017, 06:49:44 PM »
Some more dental work being done (on the bucket, not me this time!). I did some belt sanding to round/taper the bases, then marked out and sawed out the shape of the teeth from the bases, then drilled/tapped for a 0-80 screw to hold the tips on:

Here they are set in place on the bucket:

Next step will be to drill through the shell and tooth bases, and rivet them in place. They had a vertical row of rivets down each of the bases, so will do the same on the model. I'll need to notch the wood former to allow it to slide past the tooth bases on the inside. After that, will get started on the yoke brackets that attach to the sides over the pivot pin holes, then make the latch plate that secures the bottom lid (got to look up the right term for that, 'lid' does not seem right for something on the bottom of a container).
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 08:35:50 PM by crueby »

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #364 on: December 19, 2017, 06:56:17 PM »
.... that secures the bottom lid (got to look up the right term for that, 'lid' does not seem right for something on the bottom of a container).

Rear door  ::)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #365 on: December 19, 2017, 07:10:24 PM »
.... that secures the bottom lid (got to look up the right term for that, 'lid' does not seem right for something on the bottom of a container).

Rear door  ::)

Jo
Just been off looking up the dipper bucket in the old Marion catalogs and patents, and apparently 'dipper door' or just 'door' is the term they used. So, close Jo, but(t) it gave a kick out the 'door' to the 'rear' part!   :Lol:

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #366 on: December 19, 2017, 08:14:33 PM »
Funny, I would have thought that "drop" would have been in there somewhere.  Like "drop door" or "drop hatch", but there I go - thinking again.

Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #367 on: December 20, 2017, 01:21:04 AM »
Funny, I would have thought that "drop" would have been in there somewhere.  Like "drop door" or "drop hatch", but there I go - thinking again.

Don
At least it was not "dumperflapper" or something like that!

:Lol:

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #368 on: December 20, 2017, 04:32:13 AM »

Don
At least it was not "dumperflapper" or something like that!

:Lol:

I vote for "Blid" for "bottom lid".  :)  Well it seemed like a good idea!  :shrug:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #369 on: December 20, 2017, 07:37:37 AM »
Hi Chris,
 You can get “cold blackening “ solutions, not sure how robust it would be digging M&M’s

The bucket is looking sweet!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #370 on: December 20, 2017, 02:55:10 PM »
I used some cold gun blue years back, don't remember if it worked on brass though.
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #371 on: December 20, 2017, 03:01:37 PM »
If you plan on sampling the M&M's after they've been "mined" with the bucket it might not be a bad idea to seal it with a clear non-toxic finish - no matter what treatment you use to "finish" the bucket.  We're twitchy enough already, don't need any chemical enhancements for that.  The added advantages to a clear finish are that will it make the bucket finish more robust and require less polishing of the brass in the future.

Don

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #372 on: December 20, 2017, 04:47:34 PM »
I used some cold gun blue years back, don't remember if it worked on brass though.
Gerald.

Several manufacturers make a Brass Blackening solution.  A few years back I tested out two products; one called "Blacken-It" and the other "Birchwood Casey Brass Black."  In my experiment, I found the Birchwood Casey Brass Black to give me more consistent results, and a darker black color.  But neither were very scratch resistant.  I sprayed them with a clear matte finish to help provide some resistance, which helped.

Not sure a cold blackening will be a super robust solution, but it might hold up to M&Ms. :)

Kim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #373 on: December 20, 2017, 06:19:10 PM »
I've also tried the brass blackening solutions, okay for small parts but tough to get consistent results on larger areas, especially if solder joints are present. I think I will stick with paint, easy to touch up with the auto paints.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #374 on: December 20, 2017, 06:49:06 PM »
Chris, there used to be a product (if forget the brand name) but it was called stove polish. If you can find an old mom and pop type hardware store they might have some. Its a very flat black though and I guess, as the name implies, it was used to refurbish old wood burning pot bellied stoves and kitchen stoves/ovens as well. Just a thought.

Bill

Edit: The picture below is what I remember. It has probably been replaced by more modern versions though.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 06:58:34 PM by b.lindsey »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal