Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 573883 times)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #345 on: December 18, 2017, 02:32:26 PM »
There is a blackening stuff for brass but most of those sort of things are easily scratched off  :(

M&M's or popcorn shouldn't do any harm :popcorn:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #346 on: December 18, 2017, 02:43:58 PM »
The powder coating option may be just the trick Chris. Good excuse to get the stuff to do it yourself too if you don't already have it :)

Bill

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #347 on: December 18, 2017, 02:56:02 PM »
Great progress Chris.  :ThumbsUp:

What model Grizzly is that you have? It'll be interesting to see how much it gets used compared to your Sherline mill.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #348 on: December 18, 2017, 03:19:36 PM »
Great progress Chris.  :ThumbsUp:

What model Grizzly is that you have? It'll be interesting to see how much it gets used compared to your Sherline mill.

Jim
Its the G8689 mill, the original owner had added the alternate column lifter assist from LMS, I changed the feedscrews to the .050/turn version. I got it to handle the parts that needed extra reach, like this bucket, and the larger gears (which I had to extend the Sherline bed to handle). I am so comfortable with the Sherline that it will stay my main machine, but it will be interesting to see if that changes. The left/right travel on the bed is not that much different, but the in/out reach is quite a bit larger, even though the travel that way is not that different. I also got an adapter to let it take the Sherline headstock thread, like on the mill holder and chucks.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #349 on: December 18, 2017, 05:26:44 PM »
The powder coat cure temperature is pretty much the same as melting point of the solder, that is unless they have some out with materials that cure at a lower temperature, you would most likely end up with a pile of pieces. I went down that road one time with a bent wire guard that I had made for one of my hot air fans.

Off to a great start! the bucket looks nice Chris.

Dave

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #350 on: December 18, 2017, 06:11:43 PM »
The powder coat cure temperature is pretty much the same as melting point of the solder, that is unless they have some out with materials that cure at a lower temperature, you would most likely end up with a pile of pieces. I went down that road one time with a bent wire guard that I had made for one of my hot air fans.

Off to a great start! the bucket looks nice Chris.

Dave
Thanks Dave, I was just looking up powder coat kits and had the same worry - the shell is silver soldered at the main seam, but the smaller bits have soft wolder to form the rounded inside corners, and that could be an issue.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #351 on: December 18, 2017, 06:38:44 PM »
This morning I got the rest of the top edges milled down to the angled shape of the original, the wood former is working out great as a way to hold it at different angles in the mill vise (secure as long as the shank is square and parallel sided). Started with the back edge:

Then took a light pass along the front edge to blend it into the sides better:

Now, is it just me, or does this shape remind me of the old robot toys:
 :Lol:

Last step was to take the tops of the vertical bars down to final shape:

Next up will be to give the bucket some teeth. The teeth along the front edge have replaceable tips, and they extend almost all the way down the inside (presumably to stiffen that section more)

and just partway down on the outside:

« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 08:35:02 PM by crueby »

Offline RonGinger

• Boothbay Maine USA
    • Pleasant Cove Models
« Reply #352 on: December 18, 2017, 08:55:22 PM »
I can confirm that powder coat, at least the kit supplied by Harbor Freight will melt lead solder. when I got my kit I made several test pieces and the soldered ones collapsed in the oven.

It also did not do well inside objects the static charge used to stick on the powder is shielded by the outside.

I have found very little use for powder coat. I was going to try to fuse it to metal with a 40 watt co2 laser for a kind of color engraving, but I sold the laser before I got around to trying it.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #353 on: December 18, 2017, 09:31:31 PM »
I can confirm that powder coat, at least the kit supplied by Harbor Freight will melt lead solder. when I got my kit I made several test pieces and the soldered ones collapsed in the oven.

It also did not do well inside objects the static charge used to stick on the powder is shielded by the outside.

I have found very little use for powder coat. I was going to try to fuse it to metal with a 40 watt co2 laser for a kind of color engraving, but I sold the laser before I got around to trying it.
Good to know, figured it would have problems with the solder, but wasn't sure.

Nice thing about spray paint, real easy to touch up parts after some use!

Somewhere around here I have a can of bedliner type spray, assuming it didn't get tossed in a cleanout spree. Curious to see how thick that goes pn and how well it sticks to brass....

I got a start on the bucket teeth, got square bar cut to length, trimmed for width, and started notching the base, more on that tomorrow, with pictures...

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #354 on: December 18, 2017, 10:16:39 PM »
I've found that paint sticks to brass much better if the material is pickled before painting. A good strong etch! Then a light dusting of zinc chromate primer.

That bucket sure does look good, Chris, and it looks big enough to handle a cold one...   :DrinkPint:

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #355 on: December 18, 2017, 10:46:48 PM »
I go away for a week or two, and when I get back I see you are almost ready to dig ... well, with the bucket anyway! I can see you now, outside in the snow, filling and dumping the bucket and making steam shovel noises :ROFL: BE CAREFUL ... The Fun Police are out full strength this time of year.

Tom
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #356 on: December 18, 2017, 11:01:52 PM »
I've found that paint sticks to brass much better if the material is pickled before painting. A good strong etch! Then a light dusting of zinc chromate primer.

That bucket sure does look good, Chris, and it looks big enough to handle a cold one...   :DrinkPint:

Pete
Nice tip, thanks! I'll give that a try on the bucket. Don't think I have any zinc chromate, have to pick some up if not.

Its not quite tall enough for a full beer and it has no bottom, plus a set of dribble-glass holes in the sides... Guess I'll stick to the mug!
 :DrinkPint:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #357 on: December 18, 2017, 11:03:32 PM »
I go away for a week or two, and when I get back I see you are almost ready to dig ... well, with the bucket anyway! I can see you now, outside in the snow, filling and dumping the bucket and making steam shovel noises :ROFL: BE CAREFUL ... The Fun Police are out full strength this time of year.

Tom
Rats! I thought no one was looking! Webcams are everywhere!    :ROFL:
Going to be fun once it is on the dipper boom!  Scooping, flinging, as well as an industrial-strength backscratcher once the teeth are on!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #358 on: December 18, 2017, 11:22:12 PM »
Speaking of the bucket teeth, got a little more done on them after dinner. Here are the blanks getting the lower ends narrowed down, like I described earlier.

and cutting the slots where the upper end slips over the bucket edge. Made these slots a snug slip fit over the bucket - the outer two needed a slightly wider slot since the bucket wall curves more there.

The teeth all test fit - had to file the ends of the slots to match the top of the bucket rim. I have sketched in the tooth base tip and the tooth tip on the first one, the bars are left long for now. You can see how on the inside, the teeth go most of the way to the bottom. Those parts will be tapered and rounded somewhat on the belt sander.

View from the front. The front corners wil be rounded off, and the bottom ends trimmed to final length.

One other thing I finally found in the photos from the real shovel - I had been wondering how they kept the yoke pivot pin in place. It looked like the inner end was flareed somewhat, like the head of a pan head screw, but I had not seen how they held it from sliding back into the bucket, and had figured on some sort of cotter pin, which they used in lots of other pivot pins. Finally spotted this detail in one of my photos, there is a slot in the bracket that holds the pin on the outer side of the yoke, with a wedge that goes into a slot in the side of the pin. The hole below that probably had a set screw to lock the wedge in place. Yet another detail I missed while there, but the photos gave me an easy extra look (gotta love digital cameras - too bad the ones I worked on never made it to market).

« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 08:35:30 PM by crueby »

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #359 on: December 19, 2017, 01:14:29 AM »
Wow, I didn't check this thread for a little bit and wham, parts are being produced at lighting speed. 

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal