Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 572914 times)

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #255 on: November 30, 2017, 09:39:29 PM »
Marvelous work Chris. The monochrome grey doesn't really give much definition to individual components. That is why my models are so many different colors. I'm not trying to promote the "rainbow thing"---it just helps a great deal to see where one piece ends and another piece starts.---Brian

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #256 on: November 30, 2017, 10:01:56 PM »
Marvelous work Chris. The monochrome grey doesn't really give much definition to individual components. That is why my models are so many different colors. I'm not trying to promote the "rainbow thing"---it just helps a great deal to see where one piece ends and another piece starts.---Brian
I agree - they have a option for coloring each component a different color automatically, but they only use 6 colors for that, and it doesn't allow any control. I think I will try some of the paint colors and see how it looks. They also have a lot of lighting knobs - lots to play with!

It still looks SO much better than my pencil drawings!

Online derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #257 on: November 30, 2017, 10:40:36 PM »
The detail & crispness of these last images is excellent.....

Back in post #166 we see the two slew chains which connect to the drum.......does the winch drum drive engine reverse to achieve the slewing?or is there some sort of reversing clutching device in the drum itself?

The driver/operator would certainly had a birds eye view of proceedings  :facepalm:

Derek
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #258 on: November 30, 2017, 11:03:52 PM »
The detail & crispness of these last images is excellent.....

Back in post #166 we see the two slew chains which connect to the drum.......does the winch drum drive engine reverse to achieve the slewing?or is there some sort of reversing clutching device in the drum itself?

The driver/operator would certainly had a birds eye view of proceedings  :facepalm:

Derek
I only modelled the chains back as far as the rear guides, did not take them all the way to the drums.

There are two drums - one for the slewing of the turntable, the other for the main hoist.
The slew drum (rearmost and highest up) is driven by a smaller two-cylinder engine that sits between the gearbox and the boiler. That engine has one control valve that accomplishes both reversing and throttle, very clever arrangement that I touched on in an earlier post. The slew chain was wound around the slew drum a number of times, and the ends of the chain fasten to the front bottom end of the boom after going around the turntable.

The hoist engine is made up of the two large cylinders, one either side of the gearbox. That one has a stephenson linkage to reverse it, but the reverse is only normally used when driving the tracks (which engage with a dog clutch underneath). The hoist engine drives a large gear on the left of the hoist drum, which has a steam-operated cylinder which moves a lever which tightens a clutch band around the drum edge. To hold the bucket up and to control the speed it lowers, there is a brake band on the other end of the drum. To lower the bucket, they would put the hoist throttle all the way back, which turns off the steam and also connects the steam pipes to the cylinders over to the exhaust, letting the engine freewheel. That whole combination lets the operator do the work with the fewest number of levers. Well, they did combine the hoist clutch to the hoist throttle in a later model of the shovel, taking away one more lever.

I know that is a lot of words for all the actions - I am planning on making up a set of images to show all the controls and what/how they work this coming week, both for this thread and also they will be used on the signage going up at the shovel site, which is cool!

Oh, and the SECOND operator, out on the turntable, was the one with the birds-forehead view! He would be spinning side to side on the turntable while operating the crowd engine, and also pulling the rope to release the bottom lid of the bucket to dump the dirt/rock/mud. No automatic limits on anything either - there was a lot of marks on the front corners of the frame where the bucket hit it!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #259 on: November 30, 2017, 11:08:03 PM »
Oh, and the main operator had to be sure not to lean to the right, or his right knee would get sliced by the edge of the chain guide wheel. The edge of the rightmost control handle has grooves worn halfway through it, since it is only an inch away, and any flex made it rub on the wheel!

OSHA? Nope!

O-S**t? Yup!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #260 on: November 30, 2017, 11:56:37 PM »
Looking back at the pics, I think the gears in the main gearbox show up better - need to check what material/color options were on those, use that as a guide for the rest. There are lots of options for color, texture, reflectivity, etc.

EDIT: Nope - they are the same 'steel - satin' as the rest, just a matter of the reflections from other parts that makes them look better. Will play with other options on small parts/images tomorrow (small so they render quick).
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 12:16:04 AM by crueby »

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #261 on: December 01, 2017, 02:42:32 AM »
This just gets better and better!  :cartwheel:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #262 on: December 01, 2017, 07:17:08 AM »
Chris

All I can say is wow 👍👍👍👍👍👍👍
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #263 on: December 01, 2017, 06:09:31 PM »
Thanks guys!

I did a bunch of experimenting with surface appearances (settled on their 'cast iron') and found the controls to change the lighting angles and background, and came up with this version, which shows the details much better:

To get true photo-realism, you would need controls on variation of surface colors/textures over areas, more ray-tracing options, things like that, but for a 3D CAD app this is quite amazing. I hope the model can look this good!
Got some more views in the render pipeline now...
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 08:29:26 PM by crueby »

Offline kvom

« Reply #264 on: December 01, 2017, 06:22:05 PM »
Did the operator have to stand, or is there a seat missing?

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #265 on: December 01, 2017, 06:39:17 PM »
Did the operator have to stand, or is there a seat missing?
He would be standing. The old catalogs don't show any seat, and it would be hard to reach the levers and pedal while sitting, they are too high up. When I was standing on the platform, everything was in easy reach.
The secondary operator stood as well. I've seen a seat for him on larger models, sometimes slung off the side of the boom, but on this one everyone appears to have worked standing.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #266 on: December 01, 2017, 06:53:06 PM »
Version with the controls labelled:
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 08:29:38 PM by crueby »

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #267 on: December 01, 2017, 07:16:42 PM »
These illustrations are absolutely amazing, Chris. I've been away from CAD long enough that the new stuff just blows me away!!

Outstanding!!!  The next obvious thing would be an animation of this model showing the various mechanisms in operation...  :o

I envy your skill, patience and dedication.

:ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #268 on: December 01, 2017, 07:27:54 PM »
These illustrations are absolutely amazing, Chris. I've been away from CAD long enough that the new stuff just blows me away!!

Outstanding!!!  The next obvious thing would be an animation of this model showing the various mechanisms in operation...  :o

I envy your skill, patience and dedication.

:ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Pete
Thanks Pete!  I've done a couple of simple animations, but animating the entire thing is going to have to wait for videos of the model!!  :Lol:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #269 on: December 01, 2017, 07:30:14 PM »
Couple more rendering views:

Time to start making the 2D drawings!  Oh, and while changing the appearance properties of the parts, I had it give me a total part count of the subassemblies. Grand total, not counting rivets, smaller bolts, and most of the nuts (excluding me) stands at 3586. Gonna be a long build!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 08:29:51 PM by crueby »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal