Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 573833 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #180 on: November 18, 2017, 05:27:14 PM »
They didn't show what you have to do when a plate does drop down, as he said it ruins you day and maybe the one for the guy on the next shift too.
Gerald.
Keep some spares hidden in your toolbox so no one knows you dropped one?!
Bet if your hand gets stuck in that little hole, the next shift will be merciless!   :paranoia:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #181 on: November 18, 2017, 05:30:37 PM »
Still reading along Chris. Looks like there is a lot of gear cutting in your future on this one !!

Bill
Yeah, quite a few gears, and 6 times as many spokes!   :insane:   

Looks like they only used a couple of tooth sizes, so not too many cutters needed anyway. It was easy to see the machine had a lot of use, the teeth on the gears nearer the engines showed quite a bit of wear. On the front of the frame, you could see the dents from all the times the bucket whacked into the corner of the frame, and the A-frame has some dings from the main boom over-rotating a few times.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #182 on: November 18, 2017, 07:24:43 PM »
Wow what a lovely project..something to get your teeth into !!! can't wait to see and hear it working !! :popcorn:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #183 on: November 18, 2017, 07:27:46 PM »
Wow what a lovely project..something to get your teeth into !!! can't wait to see and hear it working !! :popcorn:
Thanks Willy! I'm very excited about this one. Going to be quite a while before it is done, I am figuring this to be a multi-year project, though the individual engines will likely be running much sooner. Better plant more popcorn!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #184 on: November 18, 2017, 07:31:49 PM »
knocking off a few of the small details I learned about while at the shovel this week, here is the small pulley that holds the line running from the dipper bucket bottom lid release back to the turntable - the operator would pull the rope to drop the bottom of the bucket and dump the dirt/rock/telemarketer/whatever...

and also there is a counterweight on the main hoist gear, to balance the weight of the steam opererated clutch mechanism:

« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 07:07:36 PM by crueby »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #185 on: November 18, 2017, 08:29:09 PM »
and the logo on the front track supports

« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 07:07:44 PM by crueby »

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #186 on: November 19, 2017, 01:45:01 AM »
The Logo... absolutely wonderful!!  And model makers for generations will curse you for the high detail level...

:lolb: :lolb:

:ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #187 on: November 19, 2017, 01:51:26 AM »
The Logo... absolutely wonderful!!  And model makers for generations will curse you for the high detail level...

:lolb: :lolb:

:ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Pete

:LittleDevil:

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #188 on: November 19, 2017, 03:01:35 AM »
Chris....... it looks to me that a lot of pieces, like the piece with the logo, could be milled out of bar stock with a CNC mill (not that I know much about CNC).  :naughty:

It's sure nice that you got the chance to get up close and personal with the Marion.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #189 on: November 19, 2017, 03:09:40 AM »
Chris....... it looks to me that a lot of pieces, like the piece with the logo, could be milled out of bar stock with a CNC mill (not that I know much about CNC).  :naughty:

It's sure nice that you got the chance to get up close and personal with the Marion.

Jim
I'm sure cnc could make them letters, but I don't have cnc. I might have strips 3d printed and lay them in, or depending on how large the letters are might hand relief cut them or they could be photo etched. I'd let the elves carve them, but their spelling is atrocious!

For the shapes of the parts,may solder them up, or make some milling jigs. Should be a very interesting build!

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #190 on: November 19, 2017, 09:52:20 AM »
Not tested by myself, but some colleges in Germany have used this
https://www.amazon.de/Rapunzel-Buchstaben-Suppennudeln-Semola-bunt-250/dp/B003AMEI6C/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1511084886&sr=8-4&keywords=buchstabennudeln
It should work very well if coated with paint or powder.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #191 on: November 19, 2017, 12:12:06 PM »
Chris, any idea yet on how tall the letters will be?

Tom
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #192 on: November 19, 2017, 01:41:26 PM »
Not tested by myself, but some colleges in Germany have used this
https://www.amazon.de/Rapunzel-Buchstaben-Suppennudeln-Semola-bunt-250/dp/B003AMEI6C/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1511084886&sr=8-4&keywords=buchstabennudeln
It should work very well if coated with paint or powder.
But then my shop elves would keep eating the engine!   :Lol:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #193 on: November 19, 2017, 01:46:13 PM »
Chris, any idea yet on how tall the letters will be?

Tom
I have not settled on a scale yet, but they will be fairly small. The letters on the steam chest lids, the boiler doors, and the patent plates are even smaller, so I will probably end up ordering a set of photoetched plates like I got for the boiler plate on the front of the Lombard, that was very well done and a reasonable price. They take customer supplied artwork, so I can get them exactly as needed.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #194 on: November 19, 2017, 05:29:30 PM »
I was learning how the joint/animation system in Fusion360 works, and put together a sequence of frames that show the movements for digging a bucket full, then put those through an animated-gif app. Here is the result, it seems to play correctly on the website, at least in the preview:

The individual frames are a starting point for some of the signage at the shovel...
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 07:08:11 PM by crueby »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal