Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 573512 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2017, 03:29:37 AM »
Think I may need a 50lb sack if popcorn for this one Chris. Looking good on paper so far though.

Bill
You must have a BIG microwave for that much popcorn!!   :Lol:

I just heard from the historical society, the visit from the park service guys from Steamtown has been moved back a week to mid November, so one more week to get the rest of the 3d model in shape before then. The fine details of the engines, drums, clutches, and tracks will have to wait until I get in for my own photos and measurements since the ones I got from other sources don't have any close up shots of them. Still lots I can get done till then.

I am going to be taking a side trip this week to design up a modification to the log advance ratchet mechanism for the water driven sawmill at the museum in Maine. They want to cut the advance distance in half to reduce the stress on the blade, and were going to rework the gears till I pointed out that adding a second set of pawls half a tooth over would mean only having to change a pivot point on the lever. Measurements are coming tomorrow, and I will be drawing the new setup in Fusion for them.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the Park Service and Historical Society realizes the opportunity that's being placed in their laps.

Jim
The historical society is there I think, its been a while to prove myself to them, very understandable since I showed up unknown out of the blue asking for access, but have been able to show enough knowledge and dedication. The park service was called in to do a condition report on the machine, they know nothing of me or my project yet, but coming from Steamtown they are very used to old machines needing restoration. I am providing a detailed set of blueprints for the machine in its current state in return for inside access to a one of a kind machine, which should be a win win for everyone. The shovel is in desperate need of stabilization and restoration, but there is not much chance for much money locally - the local highway guys were just going to slap a coat of bridge paint on it all. Yikes. Thats when the park crew was called. Hopefully this visit along with the plans and model project will stir up some efforts to raise funds, but we all know how governments work, slow and in odd directions usually, but sometimes the right publicity can shove things along. Not often, but sometimes.

Offline ShopShoe

• Central Iowa, Central USA
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2017, 01:48:53 PM »
"...the local highway guys were just going to slap a coat of bridge paint on it all."

It's a good thing that at least it has been saved so far. So many times old historical machinery has been destroyed or sold for scrap because some don't have the vision to see beyond the surface appearance.

I hope you can get the access you need. I am following this thread.

--ShopShoe

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2017, 08:17:15 PM »
Some more progress on the dipper boom, made up the bodies for the bucket and bottom lid. Still need to make the mechanism to latch/release the lid - they have a set of levers that pulls a latch rod out to let the lid swing down and empty the dirt/rocks.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 06:55:12 PM by crueby »

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2017, 12:00:48 AM »
"...the local highway guys were just going to slap a coat of bridge paint on it all."
I think the Steam Preservation crowd refers to that as "Stuffed and Mounted hung on a Wall"
I hope that is not its fate.
Regards,
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2017, 12:43:31 AM »
I think the Steam Preservation crowd refers to that as "Stuffed and Mounted hung on a Wall"
I hope that is not its fate.
Regards,
Gerald.
Absolutely. I doubt it will ever be restored to running order, but it really needs to be stabilized at a minimum to prevent its total loss. We need SteamGuyWilly to send us a team like at Beeleigh Mill!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2017, 03:58:26 PM »
Got the dipper bottom and its latch release mechanism modelled up, quite a few levers under there! The release lever is pulled by a rope/chain that pulls a big slide bolt back. Gravity drops the bottom lid, and when the boom swings back for its next bite at the ground, it is tipped up so that gravity swings the lid closed again - neat stuff!

Still need to model in the lever near the end of the boom that has the chain up to the release lever in the lid. That lever has another rope that goes back to the cab.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 06:55:23 PM by crueby »

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2017, 06:29:19 PM »
A little inspiration:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt3ZQxKl_ZQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt3ZQxKl_ZQ</a>

Cletus

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2017, 08:04:15 PM »
Wow! That's a blast from the past!  I loved that book when I was a kid!  Now I'm going to have to go find it and read it tonight :)
Thanks Cletus!
Kim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2017, 08:31:48 PM »
Excellent! Something to listen to while I draw parts!!

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2017, 09:42:27 PM »
Wow! That's a blast from the past!  I loved that book when I was a kid!  Now I'm going to have to go find it and read it tonight :)
Thanks Cletus!
Kim

Same here. My grandmother kept the book at her house. I must have read it a hundred times. Seeing the book's original illustrations in the video brought on a huge wave of nostalgia. Thanks.

--Tim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2017, 11:12:01 PM »
Way cool. Figured out how to make a chain to go from the release lever on the boom to the lever on the bucket bottom cover using a path-pattern operation. Little by little learning Fusion - 47 features learned, 8214712 left to go...!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2017, 01:14:26 AM »
Added the dipper bucket sheave block, think this completes the dipper boom (they call it the dipper stick in the catalog, but that sounds more like a pretzel rod). The yoke and sheave are on swivels, in this picture they are still at right angles rather than aimed up at the top of the main boom, will do that when I add the chains.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 06:55:48 PM by crueby »

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2017, 02:05:07 AM »
I'm drooling over those CAD pics!! I don' t think I have seen that level of detail before.

And the proper term is "dip stick". I grew up with earth moving as Dad was with CAT.

Many years ago I went to the coast in California where a guy had a steam shovel that he and his friends fired up a few times a year and dug around the guys sand pit. I actually got to work the thing and dig for about a half hour. They let anyone who wanted to try it out, do it!!!

I don't think there's enough pop corn between here and New Zealand to feed the crown watching this build.

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2017, 02:58:42 AM »
I'm drooling over those CAD pics!! I don' t think I have seen that level of detail before.

And the proper term is "dip stick". I grew up with earth moving as Dad was with CAT.

Many years ago I went to the coast in California where a guy had a steam shovel that he and his friends fired up a few times a year and dug around the guys sand pit. I actually got to work the thing and dig for about a half hour. They let anyone who wanted to try it out, do it!!!

I don't think there's enough pop corn between here and New Zealand to feed the crown watching this build.

Pete

Pete.........like you, I'm really impressed with Chris's drawings. He's drawing steam shovel parts and I'd still be back at the "stick figure" stage myself!  :wallbang:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2017, 03:24:14 AM »
Thanks guys, I am definitely getting more comfortable with the 3D software, am going back and forth with the photos, zooming in, taking measurements from them and the laser scans, working my way along from part to part. There are a Lot of parts, but fortunately lots of them are repeated. I'm doing my best to document everything, the drawings are all at full scale for now, will take a copy later and scale it all down for the model, but first priority is a set of plans at full size dimensions. If it was not for the 3d systems, these two projects never would have happened!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal