Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 574248 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2017, 11:55:08 PM »
Few more additions to the main boom - corrected the bolts and center blocks, and added the step plates and the guy wires from the end of the boom to the top of the A-frame.  One interesting thing that Marion did was to have the booms actually made of oak, wrapped in steel plates. Their reason (according to their catalogs) was that the oak provided some spring back to the steel, preventing fractures under shock loads. Sort of like having softer steel on the back of a knife blade I guess. On the one in LeRoy, the large center block at the base of the main boom, which is not wrapped like the side beams are, is pretty rotted, hard to say what shape the ones inside the two side beams are like since they have 1" thick plates on all sides.

Anyway, here is the newer drawing:

« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 06:53:28 PM by crueby »

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2017, 11:02:22 AM »
Good to see the start of a new project Chris. Make it the same scale as the Lombard and you have the start of a small construction company. I'm watching this one with pleasure.

Tom
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2017, 02:06:52 PM »
Good to see the start of a new project Chris. Make it the same scale as the Lombard and you have the start of a small construction company. I'm watching this one with pleasure.

Tom
Thanks Tom!  Think it will need to be a smaller scale than the Lombard or I won't be able to lift it! At 1":1' it would be huge! It has to fit through the shop door at minimum...  :Lol:

Offline wagnmkr

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2017, 03:23:55 PM »
How long is the cab?

Tom

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2017, 05:17:58 PM »
How long is the cab?

Tom
The real machine? The cab is 50 feet long, 9' 9"  wide,  and 11 feet tall (not counting the tracks). The boom/shovel assembly makes it over half again as long. Quite a large machine.

Online scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2017, 06:36:54 PM »

Tom
Thanks Tom!  Think it will need to be a smaller scale than the Lombard or I won't be able to lift it! At 1":1' it would be huge! It has to fit through the shop door at minimum...  :Lol:

Online scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2017, 06:38:47 PM »
Sorry....pressed wrong button :facepalm2:        You could always cut away half the door post as I had to!!!             terry

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2017, 08:19:48 PM »
Sorry....pressed wrong button :facepalm2:        You could always cut away half the door post as I had to!!!             terry

Whoops!

I can't remember how many times I re-measured the doors and windows when making large boat parts in my upstairs workshop!

For this one, the model shop is in the back room on the ground floor, and I'd have to cut the door post, and a slot in the side wall!!!   :ROFL:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2017, 08:23:57 PM »
More 3D modelling today, got the main boom itself done (the engine that sits on it  to move the dipper boom will be a seperate drawing later on).

Next up I think will be the sheaves that guide the chain that wraps around the turntable.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 06:53:56 PM by crueby »

Offline rudydubya

• Western Arkansas USA
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2017, 09:34:27 PM »
Looks like a fantastic project Chris.  Looking forward to following along.

Regards,
Rudy

Offline wagnmkr

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2017, 10:32:58 PM »
How long is the cab?

Tom
The real machine? The cab is 50 feet long, 9' 9"  wide,  and 11 feet tall (not counting the tracks). The boom/shovel assembly makes it over half again as long. Quite a large machine.

I didn't realize that the real thing was that large. !/24 would still be a push to go through a doorway ... 1/48 perhaps?

Tom

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2017, 11:17:58 PM »
How long is the cab?

Tom

I didn't realize that the real thing was that large. !/24 would still be a push to go through a doorway ... 1/48 perhaps?

Tom
Well, for the body alone, 1:12 would be 50" x ~10 x 11", which is fine for width, but the length is pretty big. Something in the range of 1:16 to 1:24 should be do-able, assuming the boom/turntable could come off easily - would need some removeable links in the chains maybe. I have not given the model scale too much thought, going to wait till it is all designed as a full-scale plan first (copies of which will go to the historical society, maybe be published as-is), then I'll look at overall sizes plus sizes of the engines to see what scale to reduce the model to. I hope I don't need to get down to the Tiny type sizes that George Britnell lives at!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2017, 11:28:36 PM »
One more 3D update for the day - was going to quit and go back outside, but a storm front moved through this evening. Added the chain guide wheels for the turntable slewing chains, which come off a drum back in the engine compartment, one off the top, one off the bottom, and come forward through these guide wheels and around the rim of the turntable, ends held inside the boom at the front. Notice that one wheel is tilted up to aim at the top of the drum, and there is an angled guide channel behind it as well.

Doint things up in 3D is going to solve TONS of interference issues later on - the measurements I am interpreting from the laser scan and photos are only so precise, the 3D model lets me sight right down objects and paths to know when to move something over a half-inch or whatever.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 06:54:12 PM by crueby »

Offline Jon Cameron

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2017, 11:30:38 PM »
I'll be watching this build progress, looks like it'll turn into a good 'un.
 As for scale if you can get it to 1:19 or 1:24 scale then there are proprietry wagons that would make a for a good diorama at a show, if your into that sort of thing??? Would be good to load some wagons up with some sand  :popcorn:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2017, 11:33:49 PM »
I'll be watching this build progress, looks like it'll turn into a good 'un.
 As for scale if you can get it to 1:19 or 1:24 scale then there are proprietry wagons that would make a for a good diorama at a show, if your into that sort of thing??? Would be good to load some wagons up with some sand  :popcorn:

Thats a good point! Have to see what railroad gondolas/etc are available in what scales, or maybe an early dump truck.

For this forum, it would be perfect for scooping more popcorn into the bowl!   :ROFL:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal