Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 572082 times)

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #885 on: March 20, 2018, 07:12:21 PM »
Chris:

I know that if I looked back thru the 59 pages of this thread that I could find the answer myself, but I'm not that ambitious - so I'll just ask.  Regarding the chain sheaves, the vertical chain links will ride in the slot that you've cut in the sheave.  Will the horizontal chain links ride in pockets, or will they just wrap around the outside of the sheave?

Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #886 on: March 20, 2018, 07:43:56 PM »
Chris:

I know that if I looked back thru the 59 pages of this thread that I could find the answer myself, but I'm not that ambitious - so I'll just ask.  Regarding the chain sheaves, the vertical chain links will ride in the slot that you've cut in the sheave.  Will the horizontal chain links ride in pockets, or will they just wrap around the outside of the sheave?

Don
Yeah, its back a few pages someplace, the horizontal links just lay flat on the surface of the rim, no pockets. They are not needed since the sheaves are not driving or being driven by the chain, they are just freewheeling like the sheaves on a rope pulley. Makes my job a whole lot easier!

By contrast, the chains on a cuckoo clock need to drive the shaft, so those fit in pockets on the sheave, complicated to machine and depend on a specific length link.

I just finished making the hub shafts for the sheaves, and loctited them in place, photos later when it has cured up and can be handled without risk of moving the shafts.

:cheers:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #887 on: March 20, 2018, 08:17:46 PM »
This afternoon got the rest of the slots cut in the rims of the chain sheaves, and turned the centers of the sides back to the dished profile:

Here are the sheaves set about where they will be on the main boom - the two at the tip hold the fall to the bucket pulley, the other two hold the chain above the top of the main boom and guide it to the other pulleys.

Next step was to make the axle hubs - lots less material to remove and easier to shape by making these seperately from the rims. The centers are drilled for some bronze bushings to be made next. After turning the hubs, they were held in place with some loctite retaining compound.

The hubs on the two sheaves that go on the top of the boom are offset from center, since the chain has to angle from the center of the boom over to one side to line up with the right hand sheave at the tip.
Next up - make the bronze bushings...
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 09:12:18 PM by crueby »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #888 on: March 21, 2018, 05:02:19 PM »
Last couple of steps on the chain sheaves for the main boom - got some bronze bushings turned/drilled and loctited in, then drilled the holes around the perimeter of the two top ones (not sure why they are there, but the original has them).

So the sheaves are all made, ready for the support brackets and axles.

I noticed that they were starting to rust already, so got a coat of the bake-on epoxy paint on them this morning. The 12L14 turns very nicely, but is very prone to a light surface rust, which is why I don't get it anymore. This piece was leftover from the sheels on the Shay model, had to clearcoat them to prevent the rust.

Next is the support plates that hold the top sheaves, which hold the chain above the boom, visible in the left of this photo:

« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 09:12:26 PM by crueby »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #889 on: March 21, 2018, 06:46:57 PM »
looking good Chris and still following along even if quietly :)

Bill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #890 on: March 21, 2018, 08:05:28 PM »
looking good Chris and still following along even if quietly :)

Bill
Better quietly than standing behind me and jingling the change in your pocket like a salesman!!   :lolb:

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
« Reply #891 on: March 21, 2018, 09:24:29 PM »
Looking good Chris.
Are we going to see some micro forging for the brace rods and U bolt eyes?

Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #892 on: March 21, 2018, 09:27:14 PM »
Looking good Chris.
Are we going to see some micro forging for the brace rods and U bolt eyes?

Dan
Don't know, have not thought that far ahead - got a small anvil, though finding teensy lumps of coal may take a few days...! Have to see how many cookies the shop elves will charge me to outsource it to their forge...

:Lol:

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
« Reply #893 on: March 21, 2018, 10:28:40 PM »
Chris coal would work but I was thinking something like this:
http://www.anvilfire.com/article.php?bodyName=/21centbs/forges/microfrg.htm

I have thought about a few times for some of the forged Shay brake rods.

Dan

ShaylocoDan

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #894 on: March 22, 2018, 12:51:39 AM »
Chris coal would work but I was thinking something like this:
http://www.anvilfire.com/article.php?bodyName=/21centbs/forges/microfrg.htm

I have thought about a few times for some of the forged Shay brake rods.

Dan
That's pretty slick. Fired from my Sievert torch, would be able to handle anything I am likely to make. Hmmm....

Offline Chester

« Reply #895 on: March 22, 2018, 04:17:29 AM »
Chris, I am quietly looking on in awe, what a great job you are doing. I was just up in your neck of the woods this weekend dropping the young lad off at college (RIT) and I was thinking about you on the trip up. I whipped the phone out and shared your adventure with my son and his roommate. Coming from the coal region of Pa, I’ve had the opportunity to get into a few of the Marion shovels around here and they are an impressive piece of equipment. Nothing as old and historic as your steam shovel but the 7400 and 7800 draglines are interesting to get a ride in. My dad worked in the industry and got me in a few times when I was younger .

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #896 on: March 22, 2018, 11:26:23 AM »
Chris, I am quietly looking on in awe, what a great job you are doing. I was just up in your neck of the woods this weekend dropping the young lad off at college (RIT) and I was thinking about you on the trip up. I whipped the phone out and shared your adventure with my son and his roommate. Coming from the coal region of Pa, I’ve had the opportunity to get into a few of the Marion shovels around here and they are an impressive piece of equipment. Nothing as old and historic as your steam shovel but the 7400 and 7800 draglines are interesting to get a ride in. My dad worked in the industry and got me in a few times when I was younger .
Many moons ago I attended RIT myself, the school has grown quite a bit since those days. I envy your trips into those big shovels, impressive machines!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #897 on: March 22, 2018, 04:30:01 PM »
Moving on with the chain sheaves, rough cut the side panels for the stands, then clamped them together to mill the edges to shape and drill the mounting holes. Clamping them together ensured that they all match. The panels bolt to some 1/4" angle stock on the bottoms, and the bearing blocks at the top.

Here are a couple shots of the sheaves all in position. Still need to shape the tops of the bearing caps, and make the end plates/cotters for the ones at the end of the boom. The chain is laid across the sheaves to show how it all works - the bottom sheave (on the left in the photo) is centered to guide the chain from the center of the turntable, the next one over is shifted to the side to guide the chain onto the first pulley on the tip of the boom.  Looking forward to getting enough done to set it all in place!

Next up is to shape down the bearing caps around the axles.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 09:12:43 PM by crueby »

Offline Swarf Maker

« Reply #898 on: March 22, 2018, 05:31:16 PM »
What an absolutely stunning piece of work this is. The Lombard was also superb and I know that you are a stickler for accuracy. Thus I am very reluctant to point out that the top sheave in your photo of the full size machine has 3 holes - not 4. Hate me if you must!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #899 on: March 22, 2018, 05:57:51 PM »
What an absolutely stunning piece of work this is. The Lombard was also superb and I know that you are a stickler for accuracy. Thus I am very reluctant to point out that the top sheave in your photo of the full size machine has 3 holes - not 4. Hate me if you must!
Huh. Missed that one! Suppose I could plug and re-drill, not sure if it is worth it though. Maybe I can blame it on the shop elves?!   :Lol:

Just recieved a 1909 copy of the Marion steam shovel catalog that I found on Ebay, absolute ton of information in it, even has cross sections of the sheaves and throttles. More reading to do...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal