Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 572118 times)

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #870 on: March 18, 2018, 02:16:49 PM »
Those caps are great!  Very nice looking boom for sure, Chris, can't wait to see it all together. But I'm sure it won't be too long with you're alternate timeline  :Lol:
Kim

Online fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #871 on: March 18, 2018, 05:46:08 PM »
Hi Chris, again a big pleasure to follow your progress.
Kind Regards
Achim

Online sco

« Reply #872 on: March 18, 2018, 06:07:29 PM »
You would think that the socket that those caps fit into would get showered with grit and every time the boom was raised or lowered it would wear badly?

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #873 on: March 18, 2018, 06:27:07 PM »
You would think that the socket that those caps fit into would get showered with grit and every time the boom was raised or lowered it would wear badly?

Simon.
That socket is at the base of the main boom, which is at a fixed 45 degree angle, so no wear. It only tilts when they would dismantle the booms for transpirt on a flatbed rail car. The socket is on the turntable that swings left and right. The dipper boom is the one that pivots up and down with every scoop, and that joint is open to let debris fall through.

Online sco

« Reply #874 on: March 18, 2018, 06:30:38 PM »

Simon.
That socket is at the base of the main boom, which is at a fixed 45 degree angle, so no wear. It only tilts when they would dismantle the booms for transpirt on a flatbed rail car. The socket is on the turntable that swings left and right. The dipper boom is the one that pivots up and down with every scoop, and that joint is open to let debris fall through.

Understood Chris - thanks for the explanation.

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #875 on: March 18, 2018, 10:30:22 PM »

Simon.

Understood Chris - thanks for the explanation.

Simon.
No problem - this is a huge machine, many many parts - I have to refer back to the photos constantly myself on details.

:cheers:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #876 on: March 18, 2018, 10:31:03 PM »
Those caps are great!  Very nice looking boom for sure, Chris, can't wait to see it all together. But I'm sure it won't be too long with you're alternate timeline  :Lol:
Kim
Yeah, fine for you, I have to take the long way around!   :ROFL:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #877 on: March 19, 2018, 05:02:54 PM »
The plate at the bottom of the boom is made and installed, finishes off the bottom section.

Now on to the other small bits on the boom. Or maybe the chain sheaves, haven't decided...  :thinking:
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 09:11:36 PM by crueby »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #878 on: March 19, 2018, 05:37:08 PM »
Looking at the stock supply, and the size of the four chain sheaves (2" max OD), looks like they are going to be made from the chunk of 2-1/4" diameter 12L14 steel bar that is sitting on the shelf - was the left over from making the outer tires on the Shay locomotive. It's long enough to get all 4 parts out, including room to saw them apart and clean up the faces again....

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #879 on: March 19, 2018, 07:18:59 PM »
Got a start roughing out the chain sheaves - first two are thicker, they will be the ones at the end of the main boom, where the chain fall goes down to the dipper bucket, they have an extra lip on the sides that the two top guide sheaves do not.
Centered up the chunk of 12L14 round bar, and turned the end down to 2" diameter - the bar is too large to fit over the cross slide on the Sherline, so I'm cutting one sheave blank at a time (the step on the chuck jaws is slightly less than the distance to the center slot, so it will be easy to align the blanks tight against the chuck later).

After turning the diameter, used a hacksaw to start a slot against the shoulder, then took the bar up to the big bench vise and finished the cut with a metal cutting blade in the recip saw, then rechucked the bar. Parting it in the lathe is beyond the reach and power of the Sherline.

Here is the blank, showing where it will go on the end of the boom when it is finished. There will be two sheaves side by side there, to give the mechaincal advantage on the chain fall (chain goes up boom, down around pulley on bucket, back up and down again to end at the top of the pully on the bucket).

One blank down, three more to go...
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 09:11:45 PM by crueby »

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #880 on: March 19, 2018, 10:42:04 PM »
This build is WAY COOL Chris.   :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: :popcorn:
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #881 on: March 19, 2018, 11:15:12 PM »
This build is WAY COOL Chris.   :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn:

Thanks Craig, nice to have you along for the ride into the quarry!

This afternoon I've got the other 3 blanks cut to diameter, amd have started trimming tuem to thickness. So far look like some industrial strength hockey pucks.

Also I've been haunting ebay and have scored some more steam shovel and dredge catalogs from the early 1900's, amazing how much detail they include, bragging about the features and technology in their products. Same as modern car brochures, but these are 100+ pages each. I'm gathering notes from them, from patents, etc for the history of Marion and this shovel for another article series and/or book. About ready to start outlining the history and technology in the shovels, lots to cover.
In another month will be giving a presentation as part of the launch they are doing at the historical society for the fundraising for restoration of the shovel, hopefully work can start this spring. It will be a long but interesting journey!

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #882 on: March 20, 2018, 03:02:29 PM »
Chris, every time I drop in to have a peek at your build, I have to pick my jaw up off the floor!

It must be so safisfying to be building something that has such meaning for you when you can actually see the real thing and research its history.

Truely a labour of love.

What a project!

Cheers...John

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #883 on: March 20, 2018, 03:42:49 PM »
Chris, every time I drop in to have a peek at your build, I have to pick my jaw up off the floor!

It must be so safisfying to be building something that has such meaning for you when you can actually see the real thing and research its history.

Truely a labour of love.

What a project!

Cheers...John
Thanks very much John! It is quite different to have the work on both the real machine and the model, a very interesting journey.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #884 on: March 20, 2018, 04:04:07 PM »
Got the four blanks trimmed to thickness this morning, then drilled a starter hole in each and bored the centers out for the axles. The two at the end of the boom get a 3/4" axle, the two that are guides on top of the boom get 1/2" axles - each was bored a few thou under size so I can take a skim cut on the bar stock for the axles and get a tight fit.

Then the recess was cut in each side, to form the lip at the outside edge.

All four were taken to that stage - you can see two are thicker, and have a larger axle hole.

Next step is to cut the slot for the vertical links of the chain into the center of each wheel.

Still need to cut the slots in the other three, then do some more trimming on the inside of the wheels.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 09:12:00 PM by crueby »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal