Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 572115 times)

Offline Farmboy

• England
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #840 on: March 12, 2018, 09:36:55 PM »
I'm beginning to think it's the elves doing all the work while Chris is playing with his submarines  :LittleDevil:

Amazing work, whoever is doing it  :cheers:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #841 on: March 12, 2018, 09:43:19 PM »
I'm beginning to think it's the elves doing all the work while Chris is playing with his submarines  :LittleDevil:

Amazing work, whoever is doing it  :cheers:
Dang - they figured it out!

Sigh.

I'll pass the compliments along to the elves...

:Lol:

:cheers:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #842 on: March 13, 2018, 06:37:06 PM »
Been drilling lots of holes, got the vertical ones done through the top/bottom plates, then used those as a guide for drilling the wood cores. Given the deptch of the booms, the drill would barely make it through, and tended to wander a little in the wood, so I drilled from both top and bottom to meet the holes up in the middle.

Still need to drill the last few holes at the narrow end, then will make the two spacer blocks that sit between the two booms and space them out to take the dipper boom. Then, can start cutting and installing all those long bolts to hold it all together! Hopefully I remember to first do the short ones in the space where the dipper boom goes - they are riveted over flush on the inside edges so they don't scrape on the dipper boom.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 09:09:17 PM by crueby »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #843 on: March 14, 2018, 05:30:38 PM »
Bit more done on the booms, got all the vertical holes drilled, some of the studs are in, lots more to go...

After all are in, I'll use the sander to shorten up the occasional long one - easier to cut a batch to one length and trim than to cut each one to length as the booms taper in...
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 09:09:31 PM by crueby »

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #844 on: March 14, 2018, 06:22:16 PM »
That's some awesome metal work from such a small mill Chris. Love your approach all round but tackling these booms as you have -
 well that's just bloody fantastic in my book :praise2: Your constant output is nothing short of impressive to say the least  :ThumbsUp:

Just goes to prove what can be done if you put your mind to it  - very inspirational indeed  :cheers:

Tug

"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Online sco

« Reply #845 on: March 14, 2018, 09:21:06 PM »
That boom is mighty impressive, focus though - don't want any whoopsies now!

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #846 on: March 14, 2018, 09:38:27 PM »
Thanks guys! Very happy with it so far, just small bolt holes to drill in them from here, for the plates that hold things like chain sheaves and such. About ready to make the center spacer blocks.

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #847 on: March 14, 2018, 09:50:15 PM »
Chris ... I have no words for you ingenuity ... those "over there" might say they are "Gobsmacked", and it would fit.

Tom
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #848 on: March 14, 2018, 09:59:20 PM »
Chris ... I have no words for you ingenuity ... those "over there" might say they are "Gobsmacked", and it would fit.

Tom
I didn't know making parts larger than your mill was unusual, locomotive factories do it all the time!  :Lol:

Seriously, thanks much, just having lots of fun making parts in a small shop!

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #849 on: March 14, 2018, 10:24:37 PM »
Bit more done on the booms, got all the vertical holes drilled, some of the studs are in, lots more to go...

As in..."darn, this might be a full day job instead of an hour or so".  ;D

At your pace...

You live by a different clock.

Or in a different universe.

I'm thinking the latter. In my universe, it sometimes takes a half a day just to wake up.
Perhaps I should change my choice of coffee.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #850 on: March 14, 2018, 10:40:51 PM »

At your pace...

I'm thinking the latter. In my universe, it sometimes takes a half a day just to wake up.
Hey Zee!

As in, gotta wait for the delivery this afternoon (just arrived) of more threaded rod for the studs, should be another hour (my universe) or week (your alternate one - or am I in the alternate one, lost track, so many wormholes....). Though the hour will start tomorrow, off to archery league in a few minutes.

I think I drifted into this slow-time universe back when I had too many back-to-back-back meetings when I was an engineer - sure you know how time goes backwards in long meetings!

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #851 on: March 14, 2018, 11:39:18 PM »

At your pace...

Hey Zee!

As in, gotta wait for the delivery this afternoon (just arrived) of more threaded rod for the studs, should be another hour (my universe) or week (your alternate one - or am I in the alternate one, lost track, so many wormholes....). Though the hour will start tomorrow, off to archery league in a few minutes.

I think I drifted into this slow-time universe back when I had too many back-to-back-back meetings when I was an engineer - sure you know how time goes backwards in long meetings!

As I said.  :lolb:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #852 on: March 15, 2018, 12:50:05 AM »

At your pace...

Hey Zee!

As I said.  :lolb:

Huh. That was three days ago, why the delay?

Oohhh... Two hours in your universe. Explains a lot!

:ROFL:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #853 on: March 15, 2018, 04:42:04 PM »
This morning I got the rest of the vertical bolts cut (abrasive cutoff wheel in the small miter saw) and installed, and also the spacer blocks cut out of some white oak left over from the last sailboat project. The shapes may look odd, but the angles are there to allow the dipper boom to swing  in the middle gap, and for the chains to clear at the narrow end.

Next step is to cut a notch in the lower side of the large block for the ends of the turntable chains, and then start drilling holes through the oak for the horizontal through bolts. Oh, and also need to trim the excess off the vertical bolts at the narrow end of the booms.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 09:10:10 PM by crueby »

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #854 on: March 15, 2018, 06:29:16 PM »
Chris, work is progressing and looking great as always. Did you notice how much those two pieces looked just like a chainsaw bar?

Cletus

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal