Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 572966 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #75 on: October 21, 2017, 01:50:02 PM »
Found this diagram of the type of jaw clutch that the travel gears use on the Marion to engage/disengage the power from the hoist engine to the tracks.

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #76 on: October 21, 2017, 05:06:53 PM »
Good old dog clutch....

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #77 on: October 22, 2017, 06:54:48 PM »
Spent the last couple of days designing up the gear trains for the slew, hoist, and travel mechanisms. Quite a few parts in there, here is an overview picture from the front right corner:

The forward set of shafts/gears project down through the cab floor and between the center floor frames. Here it is from the back right corner:

The slew engine will sit behind the gear train in the center, and has the first spur gear in the lower left in the second picture on the end of its crankshaft. The hoist engine cylinders sit on the floor, one on either side of the vertical shaft support blocks. The third shaft from the back is the crankshaft for those engines. That shaft drives the forward set of gears, which drive both the hoist drum and the travel shaft that goes to the tracks.
The hoist drum has a clutch mechanism in the side to engage/release it from the shaft, and also has a brake band on the other end. To engage the drive shaft, there is a dog clutch on one of the lower shafts, shown in the next picture. The handle that moves the clutch will connect up to a lever in the cab, once I trace how that routes. There is a spline the clutch rides on to transfer the power. The spur gear on the other half of the clutch free-wheels on the shaft, and has a ring that it butts up against on the other side.

EDIT: Corrected the clutch dog image.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 06:59:26 PM by crueby »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #78 on: October 22, 2017, 11:14:07 PM »
Added the u-joint couplings that take the final travel shaft out to the tracks - they are the things that look like sideways oilcans on either side of the forwardmost gear. Getting quite crowded under the frame!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 06:59:35 PM by crueby »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #79 on: October 23, 2017, 06:18:40 PM »
Getting to the point where more 3D modelling will have wait for the mid-November visit to the shovel where I can get up close and inside it. Some more detailing on the drive train is done, and I opened the side doors of the cab to allow seeing what is inside. I probably can do some on the outside parts of the steering gear, maybe the outline of the boiler. Other than that I need more measurements from up close.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 06:59:45 PM by crueby »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #80 on: October 25, 2017, 02:06:22 AM »
Yesterday and today I got a lot done on the last parts that I have good pictures and measurements for - the rear steering mechanism that holds the two rear tracks and allows them to be steered side to side. The tracks mount where the original railroad wheel trucks did, so there are two remaining side bolster blocks that no longer touch anything.

The tracks are steered by a fourth steam engine (which will be just inside the open doorway) that came in the track 'kit' from Marion, which turns a large gear wheel (pink arrow) which turns a worm gear in a box (orange arrow), which drives another long worm gear (red arrow) running across the frames which moves a follower (green arrow) on the end of the heavy arm that comes up from the rear track axle assembly (blue arrow). Lots of connections! The follower is held in a bracket on a large post that can move in and out of the end of the arm, so as it traverses it can handle the extra distance to the worm gear.

The large gear (pink arrow) still needs to have the spokes added to it.

Also in this picture you can see the end of the long backstay rods that go up to the top of the A-frame at the front boom - they come down through the cab and attach to the large cross beam just above the track axle assembly. Also, note that the track axle (blue arrow) is itself on an fore/aft pivot bar, so that the tracks can rock side to side as they go over uneven ground. The rear tracks are close together, but the front ones are spread wide apart, so the whole machine is balanced more like a three-wheeler.

One part not modelled is the set of worm/spur gears inside the box at the orange arrow. I need to go read up on worm gears again to figure out a plausible size for those two gears, since they are inside the case I cannot count teeth or measure diameters.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 06:59:52 PM by crueby »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #81 on: October 26, 2017, 09:23:34 PM »
The last couple days have been spent working on the boiler assembly in Fusion360 - I think this is as far as I can take the 3D model until the visit inside the real machine in two weeks, when I can get detail pics and measurements of the engines, tracks, piping, and control linkages.

Here are the boiler and water tanks - I left the front left door open to show the fire tubes in view in the smokebox:

The lower bracket under the front of the boiler goes through the floor and bolts to the underside of the main frame rails. Think they did it that way since the tanks would have gotten in the way of the bolts if they had used a cross plate on top of the frames, but not sure. There may be an ash chute under the firebox with another bracket set like this front lower one - another thing I need to see in person, the photos I got from the historical society don't show that angle. If there is a chute and more brackets, then it would make sense, so the entire assembly could be set on the ground during assembly.
Back view of the boiler:

The plate down the side is where the boiler shell was rolled and butted up against itself - common on these early boilers.
Here is a view through the door, showing the front of the boiler and the backstay from the boom going througn the front support.

And a view from underneath, showing the support bracket attaching to the frame rails, just in front of all the rear track steering mechanism. LOTS of parts on this model!

So, that will be all the updates for a couple of weeks, will pick it up again after the visit to the machine (I have to wait for the park service team to come up, and piggy-backing on that visit - the shovel is fenced off and not open to visitors normally).
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 07:00:05 PM by crueby »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #82 on: October 26, 2017, 10:31:32 PM »
Okay, so one more update...  Something I assumed that Fusion360 had but I had never experimented with is the ability to animate the views of the model and save out the video. After a little experimenting I got something going with it - bit choppy but it works, will have to go through more of thier tutorials on it. Anyway, here is a flyby around the current model - no tracks or engines yet, but the rest is there. Now just need to find someone with a REALLY BIG 3d printer...!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6otT_A_t6CI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6otT_A_t6CI</a>

Online wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #83 on: October 26, 2017, 11:19:58 PM »
Lovely drawing Chris ... I sent you an email through here.

Tom
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #84 on: October 26, 2017, 11:30:35 PM »
Hi Chris,

Can you imagine the brilliant men and women that worked on the original design, what they would say if they saw your work.

Now I cannot wait to see you get started on the first parts.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #85 on: October 26, 2017, 11:59:08 PM »
Hi Chris,

Can you imagine the brilliant men and women that worked on the original design, what they would say if they saw your work.

Now I cannot wait to see you get started on the first parts.

Have a great day,
Thomas
I can't imagine how many erasers I would have gone through by now!!  :Lol:

Probably will be cutting real metal by the end of November, should be a really fun build!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #86 on: October 27, 2017, 12:00:13 AM »
Lovely drawing Chris ... I sent you an email through here.

Tom
Got it, hopefully the reply made it.   :cheers:

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #87 on: October 27, 2017, 01:11:15 AM »
Coming along well Chris. Looking forward to some chipmaking on this one.

Bill

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #88 on: October 27, 2017, 05:43:17 AM »
That's some mighty fine CAD work you do there Chris!  And a lot of it.  I'll bet your tools are getting jealous of all the time your spending with the computer these days  :LittleDevil:
Kim

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #89 on: October 27, 2017, 08:55:47 AM »
Hi Chris,
Just WOW on the CAD....most impressed!!

On the 3d printer, I had an add come up last night for one that has a 1 meter cube print area (volume??) didn't go & look but you might need a deep pocket for it. Mind you at the way prices are dropping it might not be to bad...a relative term!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal