Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 572977 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #690 on: February 11, 2018, 03:38:26 AM »
Dan - wow, that looks quite good, and would save a swarf-ton of work. For those prices, worth ordering some, will take a while to get here but no time is lost since there is LOTS of other work to do on the booms. Thanks much for checking those out for me, I was using different terms and not finding those heavy ones.

Take a bag of cookies out of petty cash!!

:cheers:

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #691 on: February 11, 2018, 06:42:33 AM »
Yep, that chain is just right! I just couldn't make sense of you making that little chain, Chris. Much better to do the other parts...

It's amazing that when I have trouble finding something I just ask here. Almost always, someone knows!

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #692 on: February 11, 2018, 01:37:06 PM »
Re Stanley Steamer boilers....They have 3 layers of high tensile steel piano wire wrapped around the boiler to prevent explosions doing its worst !!!  As was explained to me by the chap in Norwich restoring them ...Also the chassis is in fact two long lengths of wood !!!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #693 on: February 11, 2018, 02:33:40 PM »
Re Stanley Steamer boilers....They have 3 layers of high tensile steel piano wire wrapped around the boiler to prevent explosions doing its worst !!!  As was explained to me by the chap in Norwich restoring them ...Also the chassis is in fact two long lengths of wood !!!
Clever, never knew that about the boiler on the Stanley's. Hope the piano wire was in tune if it exploded, to give a good note!

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #694 on: February 11, 2018, 08:22:27 PM »
Shouldn't it be "ended on a good note"  :Jester:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #695 on: February 12, 2018, 05:51:20 PM »
Not much to show for the last few days, I have diverted over to getting the Sea Turtle submarine project finished up before the next pool run in a couple of weeks. Should be back on the Marion soon - I did get the stock roughed out for the chain pulley side plates, but thats all.

On a side note, Live Steam has put up the cover for the next issue on their website, should look familiar to those who followed my last build!

I should be getting my copies soon, so back to staring at the mailbox between making submarine parts...

Back soon!

EDIT: short wait - the magazine copies arrived today, oboyoboyoboy....! 
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 08:59:44 PM by crueby »

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #696 on: February 12, 2018, 08:11:45 PM »
Well done Chris!

Baby Lombards should soon start popping up all over the place!
Just had a thought......does that mean other non shop elves may get infected with the workshop virus? :facepalm:

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #697 on: February 12, 2018, 08:20:58 PM »
Well done Chris!

Baby Lombards should soon start popping up all over the place!
Just had a thought......does that mean other non shop elves may get infected with the workshop virus? :facepalm:

Cheers Kerrin
You say that like its a bad thing!
 :cheers:

Offline Mikem

« Reply #698 on: February 12, 2018, 10:18:07 PM »
I better subscribe now !

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #699 on: February 12, 2018, 11:51:49 PM »
I better subscribe now !
And stock up on bar stock!

:ROFL:

For running on the dirt pile with your excavators, you could build it with a dummy boiler to hold the batteries, put an electric motor in the firebox, and power it that way.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 11:56:51 PM by crueby »

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #700 on: February 13, 2018, 12:06:28 AM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: Nice Chris!
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #701 on: February 14, 2018, 06:28:24 PM »
Hi Chris, It's not a Marion steam shovel, but I found this one interesting.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug6hmnUvTps" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug6hmnUvTps</a>
There is quite the heated argument in the comments about welding cast iron.
This next one shows the previous one working again.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paFaA2WKCGY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paFaA2WKCGY</a>
here is the Threlkeld Quarry and Mining Museum
https://www.facebook.com/Threlkeld-Quarry-and-Mining-Museum-1492689190977462/
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #702 on: February 14, 2018, 08:08:20 PM »
Hi Gerald - great videos!

That second one is unusual, wonder why they made it with the cab so high above the floor, with the big
gap? Also, the guy who went down and cleared the bucket halfway through really had to trust the guys back in the cab not to throw a lever!

Thanks!
Chris

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #703 on: February 14, 2018, 10:20:54 PM »
Well, I got requests for something to keep this thread going while I am diverted onto the Sea Turtle RC submarine build, so here goes - progress on the turtle!

Here is the gimbal mount for the propellors (this is twin-screw drive), that allows the props and the kort nozzle tubes they are in to both pivot together for steering plus diving/surfacing control.

There will be a u-joint on the inside of each tube, with its pivot point centered on the pivots of the gimbal, so that the length of the drive shaft will stay constant. One of the u-joints is in the foreground, next to one of the props. The props will be trimmed down to fit just inside the tubes, which will give them a flat end to the blades, which gives better performance in the tubes. Balll end joints connect to the servos, one on the upright between the tubes, another on the side of one tube. The tubes will be connected with another ball-end jointed arm, like the tie rod on a car, to keep them pointing together with one input. The shaft in the center will be on a bearing, to allow the whole assembly to pivot for the up/down control.
Also, been working on the hull. I started with seperate wood carvings of the turtle body, head, tail, and flippers. I took silicon molds from those, and cast fiberglass matte with epoxy to make the parts. The top of the shell is seperate from the bottom plate, to allow access to the inside. There will be a plxi tube inside for a water tight compartment to hold the radio and motors. The front flippers will pivot, to act as forward dive planes. The props will tuck in under the tail area.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 09:00:07 PM by crueby »

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #704 on: February 14, 2018, 11:31:45 PM »
Fascinating stuff Chris.

Are you on another forum where you show these projects being built?

Or are you just teasing us?
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal