Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 572099 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #4515 on: September 17, 2019, 03:32:19 AM »
Hi jerry,

The chick grit is just a few bucks for a 5 pound bag at the local farm store, I have several more already. As you say, it does flow out easy so I am planning to make a three walled backstop that looks like unblasted stone, to give it something to push back against. I think the technical term is it has a low subsidance angle, same problem they had digging the Panama canal.
Going to be a few weeks before I can get to it, got more RC events and a trip to Maine coming up.

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #4516 on: September 17, 2019, 10:17:44 PM »
Chris:

Just nit-picking here,but when you're talking about the angle of the slope of a piled granular substance, you're talking about the angle of repose.  The angle of draw subsidence is the angle that a material will spread out to when you blast if off a wall in mining.  I guess in a way you're talking about both.  You're using the angle of repose of the grit to simulate the angle of draw subsidence for the material that you've hypothetically blasted off the wall.

You didn't mention blasting around the elves did you?  You'd better monitor their online purchases very carefully from now on.  You don't want the Alcohol-Tobacco-Firearms folks, or Homeland security, to come knocking on your door about some highly questionable purchases.  That might just get you put on the NO-FLY list real quick.

Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4517 on: September 17, 2019, 10:32:20 PM »
Chris:

Just nit-picking here,but when you're talking about the angle of the slope of a piled granular substance, you're talking about the angle of repose.  The angle of draw subsidence is the angle that a material will spread out to when you blast if off a wall in mining.  I guess in a way you're talking about both.  You're using the angle of repose of the grit to simulate the angle of draw subsidence for the material that you've hypothetically blasted off the wall.

You didn't mention blasting around the elves did you?  You'd better monitor their online purchases very carefully from now on.  You don't want the Alcohol-Tobacco-Firearms folks, or Homeland security, to come knocking on your door about some highly questionable purchases.  That might just get you put on the NO-FLY list real quick.

Don

Ah - I didn't know the proper term, going from dimly remembered statement about sand piles. Thanks!
And yes, I've got to keep the black powder locked up in a case labeled 'Veggies' to hide it from the elves.Oops, now I've got to change the label, they read this forum too!   :ROFL:

Online Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #4518 on: January 04, 2023, 06:59:30 AM »
Hi Chris,
 I had this pop up on my YouTube ….  & thought  of you…..

Enjoy.      <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEXJ7LIMsRY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEXJ7LIMsRY</a>

I had a bit of a look at a couple of his other videos….. grab a handful of cookies …….

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4519 on: January 04, 2023, 01:40:36 PM »
Hi Chris,
 I had this pop up on my YouTube ….  & thought  of you…..

Enjoy.      <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEXJ7LIMsRY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEXJ7LIMsRY</a>

I had a bit of a look at a couple of his other videos….. grab a handful of cookies …….

Cheers Kerrin
Hi Kerrin,
Neat find, they have a great 'kit' for a steam shovel! Just needs a little buffing out... Will be fun to see how that one turns out!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal