Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 573436 times)

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #4500 on: September 01, 2019, 04:47:42 PM »
Yup, well into page 300.  If you aren't careful we'll get into page 301.  At that point I don't see that you have ANY choice but to continue on to page 400, maybe even page 500.

Hmmmm…. wonder what the programmers for the software this site is using set as the maximum number of pages per thread?  Think we should try hitting it and see what happens?

Don

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #4501 on: September 01, 2019, 04:52:17 PM »
Too late, on to page 400.  All we need to do is hire Yosemite Sam as a foreman to keep the elves moving in the right direction an it'll be no problem.

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #4502 on: September 01, 2019, 08:14:38 PM »
We still have to see it under steam and RC that plus operational trials could take use to 500 easily.
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4503 on: September 01, 2019, 09:20:28 PM »
We still have to see it under steam and RC that plus operational trials could take use to 500 easily.
Gerald.
I have no plans to RC this model, want to keep it looking original, and all the servos and connections would be too visible.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4504 on: September 01, 2019, 09:23:52 PM »
Too late, on to page 400.  All we need to do is hire Yosemite Sam as a foreman to keep the elves moving in the right direction an it'll be no problem.
Yosemite Sam would be very motivating, but there would be SO many little bullet holes in the ceiling!!   :Lol:

To paraphrase him,  "When I say file, elf, I mean FILE, Elf!"   :Lol:   (if you don't get it, google Yosemite Sam and camel...

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #4505 on: September 01, 2019, 09:30:09 PM »
One of my favorites is the one where Sam's struck it rich in the Texas oilfields:

"Maaaaaverick!  Get the dyneee-mite Maverick!"

The car Sam has is so long Maverick uses a scooter to ride from the cab to the rear door.....

The guys that wrote and illustrated those cartoons, and did the voices, were geniuses I think.

The ammo bill if Sam was the Elf foreman would be hefty too, as well as the ceiling hole patching bill. :Lol:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #4506 on: September 01, 2019, 10:59:59 PM »
I wouldn't worry about page numbers  :happyreader: too much, but what is impressive is the read views  :facepalm:

Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 302891 times) .....[and climbing]

Derek  :DrinkPint:
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline kvom

« Reply #4507 on: September 02, 2019, 02:38:10 PM »
Just think how many posts there would be if Zee were around.

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #4508 on: September 04, 2019, 10:32:54 PM »
Gerald.
I have no plans to RC this model, want to keep it looking original, and all the servos and connections would be too visible.
That answers one question that was in the back of my mind (How is Chris going to hide the RC), I had visions of miniature androids with servos in them.
Now for the second question how are you going to fire it to raise steam, alcohol or butane? 
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4509 on: September 04, 2019, 11:12:38 PM »
Gerald.
That answers one question that was in the back of my mind (How is Chris going to hide the RC), I had visions of miniature androids with servos in them.
Now for the second question how are you going to fire it to raise steam, alcohol or butane? 
Gerald.
Hi Gerald,

This micro androids fell through a crack in the floor, so that option is out.    :Lol:

The boiler has a butane tank and burner, with a single firetube.

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #4510 on: September 06, 2019, 10:41:47 PM »
Hi Chris,
Are you making your own gas tank?
Gerald.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4511 on: September 06, 2019, 10:54:59 PM »
Hi Chris,
Are you making your own gas tank?
Gerald.

No, things like butane tanks, safety valves, gauges, I prefer to buy off the shelf. Here in the US a place called The Train Department carries all the parts from the overseas brands for the Gauge 1 market. Have gotten parts from places like Clevedon Steam over in the UK too, they have great burners and valves.

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #4512 on: September 16, 2019, 05:19:13 PM »
I enjoyed watching the operation,   :ThumbsUp: I am guessing that as you get accustomed to operating your new steam digger that the foreman will give you instructions on fine tuning your limbs to move in nano-meters so that you get the rotation to move a little slower. I am not being critical, it is an amazing machine, it reminds me of the first time I drove a car pulling away from the curb that first time getting the feel of the accelerator.

Mike
If you can imagine it you can build it

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4513 on: September 16, 2019, 05:55:01 PM »
I enjoyed watching the operation,   :ThumbsUp: I am guessing that as you get accustomed to operating your new steam digger that the foreman will give you instructions on fine tuning your limbs to move in nano-meters so that you get the rotation to move a little slower. I am not being critical, it is an amazing machine, it reminds me of the first time I drove a car pulling away from the curb that first time getting the feel of the accelerator.

Mike
You are totally correct - I need to get a feel for which lever is which, and which need a very light touch - the throttle action is quite sensitive!

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #4514 on: September 17, 2019, 02:14:38 AM »
Chris,

That looks like an afternoon of fun.  I don't know how much chick grit costs but you might look at kitty litter as an option.  Both are free flowing making it a little hard to get a full bucket.  Another choice that more closely resembles the shot rock that the shovel is meant to handle might be dried corn.  You might save a little sweeping and improve efficiency would be to confine the stockpile with some boards.  The ultimate loading efficiency is to use the crowd function in coordination with the hoist but that is a two man job on that machine. You are going to need a full crew if you ever expect that machine to pay for itself!

Jerry
NOTARY SOJAK

There are things that you can do and some things you can't do. Don't worry about it. try it anyway.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal