Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 575721 times)

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #4470 on: August 28, 2019, 07:28:55 PM »

Well, we can fill in more pages with banter about Zee till he starts joining in again!   :Lol:

I've been toying with the plans for the Stanley engine, may have come up with a plan to join the three sections into one block to make machining the port faces possible....

Does the plan include making a shaper attachment for your lathe, to machine the port faces just like the Stanley brothers (and lots of railway locomotive shops) did ?   :Lol:

No, I am going to split the cylinder block into three pieces so I can do the valve faces as normal, carving out the whole thing from solid would be beyond my equipment. That will be the fun part, keeping it looking original while splitting the parts. More on that in another thread soon.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4471 on: August 28, 2019, 07:29:22 PM »
Chris,

May I add my words of congratulations on finishing this magnificent project,

The engine is amazing in it's own right but you built it so quickly and also found the time for our daily updates

Well done. Bravo Bravo

Mike

Thanks Mike!!   :cheers:

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #4472 on: August 28, 2019, 08:56:02 PM »
What????  No commemorative first scoop into a gold plated spittoon?  No Hi-HO Silver AWAY...  Just a "Me and the elves are done with this one and we're movin on"?

If it wasn't for all the good work and fine pictures in the last 299 pages I'd be sorely disappointed that the ride is over.  You sure there's not some MINOR change you want to make to the machine so you can get the page count up to an even 300 pages?

Don

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4473 on: August 28, 2019, 09:40:12 PM »
What????  No commemorative first scoop into a gold plated spittoon?  No Hi-HO Silver AWAY...  Just a "Me and the elves are done with this one and we're movin on"?

If it wasn't for all the good work and fine pictures in the last 299 pages I'd be sorely disappointed that the ride is over.  You sure there's not some MINOR change you want to make to the machine so you can get the page count up to an even 300 pages?

Don
Oh, I am sure there will be more tweaks/parts added on this engine, still changing the other ones from time to time. Just like a boat, a steam engine is never really done!
And I had not noticed it was only at 299 pages - I have my forum settings to display 50 posts per page, so it was only at page 90. Guess we will have to discuss this some more to get one more page in! 

:ROFL:
I will probably add a picture or two once the other fittings I ordered come in, so I can put on the pressure gauge, and definitely when it gets out for a steam test, however that turns out. There are enough little seeps in the valves that I'm not sure how well it can come up to pressure, but gotta give it a try.
 :cheers:

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #4474 on: August 28, 2019, 11:55:36 PM »
NOW WHAT AM I GOING TO DO WHEN HAVING MY MORNING COFFEE!!!!

The video is great Chis, you & the team have got to be justifiable proud of what you have built. It’s been a great ride, thanks for taking us along!

Next build......... 🤔🤔🤔🤔 oh yeah a big sand box with railway, a bunch of cars behind the Shay the elves will play for hours!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #4475 on: August 29, 2019, 01:52:02 AM »
Chris ...still following along and trying to get to the 300th page !! Will love to see it doing some work in a sand pit or somewhere !!

Willy.

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #4476 on: August 29, 2019, 02:58:39 AM »
I’m completely out of superlatives to describe my admiration for this build.  It’s been one of the true joys of accessing model engine maker and checking you daily progress.  Well done  Chris, we’ll done!
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #4477 on: August 29, 2019, 06:38:34 AM »
Well, I for one think you can get to 300 pages with this build!  Lets see if you can do it!
Kim

Offline Farmboy

• England
« Reply #4478 on: August 29, 2019, 10:43:50 AM »
I couldn't let this thread finish without adding my congratulations on completing such a mammoth project  :cheers:

I can't begin to imagine the sense of achievement you must feel, even with your history of amazing work. Great to see it running in the video  :cartwheel:

Of course, fitting the RC servos will take you well beyond the 300 pages . . .  :stir:

Mike.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #4479 on: August 29, 2019, 12:05:38 PM »
That was a most enjoyable and instructive video  :praise2:  :praise2:  :wine1:  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #4480 on: August 29, 2019, 02:36:00 PM »
Great video Chris..............brought it all together.   :ThumbsUp: Congratulations.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4481 on: August 29, 2019, 03:11:03 PM »
Thanks guys!
Had another idea for a operation video - I have a bag of chick grit left over from ballasting my Gauge 1 track, going to set that up for some scale 'gravel' to dig and dump into the rail car to the side...

Stay tuned!

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #4482 on: August 29, 2019, 04:57:33 PM »
Yup, first scoop into a rail car, that's close enough to a gold plated spittoon.  We can probably do without the Hi-Ho Silver too, we really don't want to give the elves any more ideas than they've already got.

Don

Offline JC54

• Grantham, Lincolnshire, UK
« Reply #4483 on: August 29, 2019, 10:03:27 PM »
This has been an amazing build. As a beginner I cannot remember how many useful ideas that I have found by watching this brilliant build. I think others have said it better than I can but GREAT.....
              Here' a picture of opencast mining as I remember as a child.
When the Fun Stops,, Stop!

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #4484 on: August 30, 2019, 12:01:02 AM »
I haven't been around much, but I dropped by to see the end of another impressive build. It is amazing , really, and most of the good words are already taken. I hope you are going to have a rest now, and sit back with the elves and watch Z do his Stanley Steamer!

Cheers
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal