Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 572082 times)

Online cnr6400

Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #4440 on: August 22, 2019, 10:27:52 PM »
The good news is that there is not much room available for 32 coolers full of Elfensteiner stubbies in the car, as they originally planned ....... so there may be a chance that the shop elves will stay sober and behave themselves tomorrow!    :Lol:

Just kidding, hope you have a great day in LeRoy tomorrow.    :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Don't forget some snacks for the car ride..... :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4441 on: August 23, 2019, 09:49:59 PM »
Today the LeRoy Historical Society opened up the gates out at the Marion shovel to the public, and I had the model there for photos and helped talk with the crowd about the shovel and how it worked. Great turnout, and LOTS of fun talking with everyone. Even one older gentleman there that worked in the quarry decades ago, he was there when they drove it out and parked it (he was 15 at the time). We will be setting up a time to visit with him for a longer talk, to document his stories.

Here is a link to a photo album with a selection of the pictures I took there today, will add more as I get them from the others that were taking pictures as well:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/iEGgqyqtY9eJ5YAd6

This coming week I'll also put together a video with the model running, showing all the functions. Stay tuned!
Chris

Online cnr6400

« Reply #4442 on: August 23, 2019, 11:32:43 PM »
Great pics Chris, thanks for sharing them. Look forward to the video!  :ThumbsUp:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #4443 on: August 24, 2019, 12:19:43 AM »
Hello Chris,

Wonderful photos. To know how big your model actually was and then to see it sitting on one of the tracks really states how big that monster machine really is. You have done a unbelievable job on that build :praise2:

Thanks for sharing and have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #4444 on: August 24, 2019, 05:47:34 AM »
Great photo shoot, Chris!  Thanks for sharing them.
Boy, that sucker is big!  As Thomas said, seeing your huge model next to the real thing really put it in perspective!
Kim

Online sco

« Reply #4445 on: August 24, 2019, 09:20:08 AM »
Brilliant set of photos Chris!

When I look at the real thing I can't help wonder what it was like to work on - must have been incredibly noisy and hot.

Looking forward to the video,

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4446 on: August 24, 2019, 08:15:31 PM »
Thanks guys! It was a great day, wonderful way to cap the build. Still have to make the video, we had a RC sub run today so maybe by mid week...
In the meantime, one of the local papers did the attached writeup on the day...

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #4447 on: August 24, 2019, 11:04:40 PM »
That's pretty cool, Chris!  You're in the paper! :)
Nice little article too - and good picture!
Kim

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #4448 on: August 25, 2019, 07:57:30 AM »
Hi Chris

Absolutely wonderful  :ThumbsUp:

Cheers

Rich

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #4449 on: August 25, 2019, 01:08:20 PM »
Hi Chris,
Just a fantastic job and the matching photos are great.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #4450 on: August 25, 2019, 04:18:15 PM »
Hi Chris,
 Great photos! You gotta be happy how it’s turned out. It must of been something standing close buy when she was working, which you don’t get conveyed on a video.
2 nights ago we stood in front of a Lancaster as they fired her up, 4 Merlin’s on the go! It was great!
How’s the shop party going? The team must of cleaned out the supplies by now..... bet the head guy still has a smile on his face after a day out like that.

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4451 on: August 25, 2019, 05:40:57 PM »
Hi Chris,
 Great photos! You gotta be happy how it’s turned out. It must of been something standing close buy when she was working, which you don’t get conveyed on a video.
2 nights ago we stood in front of a Lancaster as they fired her up, 4 Merlin’s on the go! It was great!
How’s the shop party going? The team must of cleaned out the supplies by now..... bet the head guy still has a smile on his face after a day out like that.

Cheers Kerrin
Party is winding down, piles of little 1.2 ounce beer cans everywhere, elf leggings on the chandelier, the usual...    :Lol:

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #4452 on: August 27, 2019, 02:18:36 PM »
Are you going to wake the Elves up and have them steam the beast?
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4453 on: August 27, 2019, 02:34:36 PM »
Are you going to wake the Elves up and have them steam the beast?
Gerald.
I did wake them up for the video session this morning. Elfric kept trying to run off with the camera girl, and Bob was still part drunk and kept falling off the turntable... Did get some decent footage, need to edit it together into something coherant still...I am still waiting on some steam fittings from England (pressure gauge, that sort of thing). The supplier had a hiccup from his machinist, the CNC lathe broke down and delayed things a few weeks. Supposedly mailed this weekend.Given the long pipe runs, and some pesky leaks, not sure how well it will run on steam. Getting it outside is quite a pain in the cross-slide bearings too...

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4454 on: August 27, 2019, 05:18:45 PM »
Okay, here we go!  Made up a short video showing the functions/controls on the model.

I am definitely NO competition for Spielberg, but it does show the operations. The clip showing the tracks moving is quite short, since the table is short!

Enjoy!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvn3UPKpHto" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvn3UPKpHto</a>

This closes out this build, will be adding a summary over in the Showcase section soon. Thanks to you all for all the help and encouragement!
Chris
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 09:38:29 PM by crueby »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal