Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 595958 times)

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #4380 on: August 02, 2019, 02:19:46 AM »
 :pinkelephant: awesome Dog just another cog in the wheel..... :whoohoo:

:cheers:
Don

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4381 on: August 03, 2019, 12:18:21 AM »
Thanks Don/Mike!

No work on the model today, was off at the Finger Lakes Live Steamers event, they are celebrating their 50th anniversary with a big meet, tons of trains there, from G1 up through 7-1/2 (7-3/4?) gauge track, miles of track. Took a bunch of photos/video, will post some tomorrow.  I took the Lombard model along, the editor of Live Steam magazine was there, he invited me to display it at his booth. Very fun day, but time for dinner and a nap...

Offline Farmboy

• England
« Reply #4382 on: August 03, 2019, 08:41:58 AM »
Most people would be 'over the moon' to have built than sweet running little engine as a stand-alone project  :whoohoo:

But for Chris (and the elves) it's just a tiny part of the real project  :praise2: :praise2: :praise2:

Gonna miss this thread when you finally sign off on it, Chris, it's been an education as well as great entertainment  :cheers:

Mike.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4383 on: August 03, 2019, 09:15:53 PM »

As promised, here are a bunch of photos and a video from the event yesterday, the Finger Lakes Like Steamers held their 50th anniversary event this weekend. Quite a few trains/people turned out for it, this is a sampling of what was there.

[youtube1]https://youtu.be/dEMkpumvsZw[/youtube1]

« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 09:21:19 PM by crueby »

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #4384 on: August 03, 2019, 09:27:56 PM »
Hello Chris,

Thank you for sharing these beautiful photos and the video. Do you know why the Black Engine with the Orange painted windows sounds so different???? Man that things sounds powerful.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4385 on: August 03, 2019, 09:32:45 PM »
Hello Chris,

Thank you for sharing these beautiful photos and the video. Do you know why the Black Engine with the Orange painted windows sounds so different???? Man that things sounds powerful.

Have a great day,
Thomas
That one belongs to Dave Brush, editor at Live Steam magazine. I asked him about the sound - it is powered by an electric motor, and he has a sound generator in it with a big speaker from an old stereo system. In person, you can really feel the rumble from it. Most of the other trains were live steam, couple had electric motors (mainly the diesel locos). Quite a fun day out there, they have miles of track out through the woods, several bridges and trestles, several different gauge tracks.

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #4386 on: August 03, 2019, 09:39:49 PM »
Hey again Chris,

Thank you, sure sounds like a steam engine.

The No.5 Nickel Rate Road is my favorite  :LittleAngel:

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4387 on: August 03, 2019, 09:41:55 PM »
That one is great!
Its hard to tell the scale on the pics of  the stationary models - the flywheels on that one are only about 2" diameter, the detail and finish on those models is just stunning.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #4388 on: August 03, 2019, 10:18:58 PM »
Great pictures Chris. I especially like the "cow catchers" on the front of the old steam trains.---Brian

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4389 on: August 03, 2019, 10:59:47 PM »
And after all the work on the small steering engine, it is not very visible on the finished model!   :shrug:   You can get a decent look at it through the side doors of the cab, here from the right side:

and from the left, looking at the back of the engine:

Just masked off the moving parts, taking it to my handyt-dandy paint booth (cardboard sheets on an old workbench) to give it a shot of grey paint to blend in the brass parts...

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #4390 on: August 03, 2019, 11:58:33 PM »
Hi Chris, looking good and i like the other stationary engines... I do have a triple expansion to Finish , just wondering if there are any original drawings of beam engines over there . there are lots of works drawings of Loco's available but would love to access some older beam engines ?? also there are 30 photos on that post and i thought we were only allowed 8 ??

Willy :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4391 on: August 04, 2019, 12:02:56 AM »
Hi Chris, looking good and i like the other stationary engines... I do have a triple expansion to Finish , just wondering if there are any original drawings of beam engines over there . there are lots of works drawings of Loco's available but would love to access some older beam engines ??

Willy :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

I don't know of any good sources for beam engine plans. Nearest surviving one I know of is the pumping engine museum in Hamilton Canada, great machine. Are ther plans available from places like the Kew museum?

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #4392 on: August 04, 2019, 12:13:54 AM »
Willy--check your personal messages. I've sent you a link to a set of beam engine plans.---Brian

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #4393 on: August 04, 2019, 06:17:41 AM »
Thanks for the pics of the Steam-up - looks like a lot of fun!

And your steering engine looks great!  I can see how it feels like a lot of work to be hidden inside like that, but its all these details that make your Marion such an amazing model!  Just love it!  :ThumbsUp:

Thanks for taking the time to post all your progress, Chris! I may not post as often as I should, but I'm always following along and enjoying the ride!  :popcorn: :popcorn:
Kim

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #4394 on: August 04, 2019, 08:20:14 AM »
Hi Chris, sweet little engine, another step forward.
Kind Regards
Achim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal