Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 594062 times)

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #4335 on: July 25, 2019, 12:28:14 AM »
You have out done yourself Dog very impressive build and you have my respect..... :praise2:

:drinking-41:
Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4336 on: July 25, 2019, 01:26:05 AM »
You have out done yourself Dog very impressive build and you have my respect..... :praise2:

:drinking-41:
Don
Thanks very much Don!   :wine1:

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #4337 on: July 25, 2019, 01:48:38 AM »
Very nice bit of work Chris.

Mike
If you can imagine it you can build it

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #4338 on: July 25, 2019, 12:24:32 PM »
Well, come on, I thought YOU were building the railway side of it all!!   ::)

:Jester:

Oh, wait.......... :help: :paranoia:

:Lol:
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 01:02:21 PM by Jo »
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4339 on: July 25, 2019, 04:22:00 PM »
Getting deep into the fiddly bits of the steering engine, making up the control levers for the valves that take the motion on the eccentrics up to the steam chest. Got the rods and upper levers silver soldered together and shaped, and the pivot bolts for the top connection made. Next up are the lower levers...

Also have the 1-72 studs for the steam chest in place, still need to cut the gaskets before bolting it all up. I am going to wait on bolting the cylinders/steam chest in place till the control rods are complete, to keep working room on the main block (not much finger room on this small engine).

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4340 on: July 26, 2019, 03:35:56 PM »
And starting to round the final (of 4753.215) turn - the lower section of the valve levers are made and installed:

Next will make the throttle lever, very similar shape, then start in on the valve rods and sliders...

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #4341 on: July 26, 2019, 07:30:26 PM »
Well, I FINALLY understand why you're painting so many of the parts rather than polishing them, other than the fact that there's so bloomin' many parts.  Most of the engine parts you'd never find after the buffing wheel grabbed onto them and threw them across the shop.

You and the elves have been doing a wonderful job, yeah - probably even the ones that came up with the "Sharpen while you wait" scam.  You've got to admit, that was ALMOST as good as the "Candygram for Mongo".

It's been a privilege to ride along and watch over your shoulder.

Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4342 on: July 26, 2019, 08:01:02 PM »
Well, I FINALLY understand why you're painting so many of the parts rather than polishing them, other than the fact that there's so bloomin' many parts.  Most of the engine parts you'd never find after the buffing wheel grabbed onto them and threw them across the shop.

You and the elves have been doing a wonderful job, yeah - probably even the ones that came up with the "Sharpen while you wait" scam.  You've got to admit, that was ALMOST as good as the "Candygram for Mongo".

It's been a privilege to ride along and watch over your shoulder.

Don
Thanks Don!  I always liked the old SNL version, Land Shark!
Polishing all these parts would definitely have been a career in itself. Paint is much easier, luckily the original was done in basic colors without pinstriping.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4343 on: July 26, 2019, 08:04:21 PM »
Throttle levers are on, little hard to see in the photo with all the other levers all packed in there too...

Time to start on the valve rods and sliders... In the picture, just in front of the cylinder you can see the drawing of the cylinder valve slider, with its three chambers and crossover tube above the middle one. All part of the built-in reversing valve that Marion invented.

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #4344 on: July 27, 2019, 12:38:58 AM »
That is a very complex device, I'm curious about the reversing valve you mention.

Mike

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4345 on: July 27, 2019, 01:13:46 AM »
That is a very complex device, I'm curious about the reversing valve you mention.

Mike
If you go back to reply number 3601 in this thread (this link should take you there, if I did it right) 

http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,7530.msg198546/topicseen.html#msg198546
there are some diagrams I did for how it works with a description. When researching the Marion 91, I found their original patent (google patents search) for the engine, which has cross sections of the whole engine and lots of descriptions - took a lot of wadiing through patent-ese to figure it out. Its a really slick setup - in the original, they had a spool valve inside a tube with holes increasing in size/decreasing in spacing for the central throttle valve, but the cylinder valves are just as I show, though theirs are rounded on top rather that squared off.  The patent is US842465, I put up some pics from it in reply number 1531 of this thread. The whole thing is available at:
https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/ce/3a/f3/ad0dddb4e8e308/US842465.pdf
That mechanism is the same in the crowd and slew engines I did a few months ago, works very well in model scale.
Any specific questions I can answer, please let me know!
 :cheers:

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #4346 on: July 27, 2019, 03:43:38 AM »
Thanks for the link back, I have not gone through your whole thread yet, Now I am even more gobsmacked by this engine.

Mike

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4347 on: July 27, 2019, 09:32:24 PM »
Valve rods and outer ends made...

As well as another few shoulder bolts to attach them to the levers...

Next will start on the valve adjusting nuts and the valve sliders - down to the last few bits to make:
- valve sliders
- valve adjusting nuts

- links from throttle lever up to the control rod from the front of the cab
- pivot to take the control rod from horizontal to vertical above the engine
- last bits of piping to get steam to the steering engine
Thats all thats left on the build! 

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #4348 on: July 27, 2019, 11:25:57 PM »
Hello Chris,

That little baby is really looking good but very complex  :ThumbsUp:

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #4349 on: July 28, 2019, 08:42:07 AM »
Once again a long read to catch up  ::) Excellent as ever  :praise2:  :praise2:  :wine1: It may also prompt me to replace the old, and probably dimming, fluorescent tubes in my workshop with new LED ones.
Best regards

Roger

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal