Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 572928 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #4305 on: July 19, 2019, 10:26:22 PM »
Not much shop time today, spent some time replacing old flourescent shop lights in the different shops with new LED ones, WAY better light! Some of them were quite old larger diameter tubes, they were working but fading out, the new lights have no flicker and a better color, plus being brighter. There are cheaper off-brand ones on places like Amazon, but I have had great luck with getting them from SuperbrightLEDs.com, never have had a bad one from them yet. Also use their PAR-20 LED spotlights in the track lights and machine lights - similar brightness to halogens but without the heat lamp effect, very nice in heat waves like we are getting here now.

Did get time to start on the pistons, got the heads turned to size and the rings fitted (viton o-rings), and threaded the piston rods for the crossheads. The heads need to be attached and the rods cut to length, then can start on the crossheads.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4306 on: July 20, 2019, 03:05:56 PM »
Continuing on with the piston assembly, this morning started in on the crossheads, turning to diameter/drilling the ends on the lathe, then milling the con rod pocket with it held in a collet block:

and drilling the cross pin and shaping the bottom end

Test fit on the engine block, a little de-burring and it moves well.

Next up - con-rods. On the larger engines I made them out of steel with bronze bearings, on these I think I will make them all out of bronze, getting too small for that many pieces.

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #4307 on: July 20, 2019, 04:45:09 PM »
Really is an amazing piece of machine work.

Mike
If you can imagine it you can build it

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4308 on: July 20, 2019, 06:21:51 PM »
Thanks Mike!

Started in on the con rod big ends and the eccentric followers, all out of bronze. The bar was first slit where the center of the holes will be:

then milled in the steps and drilled the holes for the bolts to hold the top/bottoms together for boring the holes out. These parts will be sawn off the bar, bolted together, then bored on the lathe while holding the parts in the 4-jaw.

You will doubtless notice that there are two sets, smaller is the con rod big end, large is the eccentric follower blank. Each has two sets of holes since two of each are needed. But, due to a CNC error (Count Not Correctly)   :facepalm:   I got too far out on the first set of the eccentrics and broke through the side. So went farther up the bar and did a replacement there.

So, next will saw the pieces off the bar and start cleaning them up in the lathe...

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #4309 on: July 20, 2019, 08:04:54 PM »
It was the heat. Thats your story and you're stickin' to it.  :Lol:

Glad I'm not the only one that has these hoo-ha's.  :shrug:

Keep pluggin'.  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #4310 on: July 20, 2019, 09:16:08 PM »
Well hell Dog it ok man you got this.....still with you Dog wanting to see this baby finished..... :stickpoke:

:popcornsmall:
Don

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #4311 on: July 21, 2019, 03:36:50 AM »
Uh oh, a Swarf Groupie!!  Need another restraining order...   :lolb:
Swarf Groupie...   Not so much.

Swarf Jumkie...    Definitely!!

Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4312 on: July 21, 2019, 03:39:32 AM »
Uh oh, a Swarf Groupie!!  Need another restraining order...   :lolb:
Swarf Groupie...   Not so much.

Swarf Jumkie...    Definitely!!

Don
Oh, thats very different, welcome to the club!!   :Lol:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4313 on: July 21, 2019, 02:42:34 PM »
More on the big ends and followers - bored out the eccentrics to fit the inside of the slots in the cams, going by measurements since no way to test fit them at this point.

then parted off the two followers, trimming the outside face first

Turned the part around, drilled/bored the big ends of the con rods to size and parted them off too...

then trimmed the end of the caps down...

then made up a little expanding arbor, using a 5-40 SHCS with a taper turned into the end as the expanding screw, and used a small boring tool to cut in the shoulders on the inside of the bore, first one side then the other of each part

Here are the parts test fit on the crankshaft - the followers are a good smooth fit, the big ends need a little lapping in since they are just a touch snug, but I'll do that after soldering on the arms since it makes them easier to spin that way.

So, next will be to make the arms for each piece...

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4314 on: July 21, 2019, 11:23:20 PM »
Today saw the big ends notched for the arms, and the arms notched to match, the pairs silver soldered together. Here they are just out of the pickle bath, ready to get drilled for the small end pins and then get the rest of the profiles milled in..

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #4315 on: July 22, 2019, 02:30:33 AM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #4316 on: July 22, 2019, 03:04:22 AM »
Thanks Mike!

Started in on the con rod big ends and the eccentric followers, all out of bronze. The bar was first slit where the center of the holes will be:

then milled in the steps and drilled the holes for the bolts to hold the top/bottoms together for boring the holes out. These parts will be sawn off the bar, bolted together, then bored on the lathe while holding the parts in the 4-jaw.

You will doubtless notice that there are two sets, smaller is the con rod big end, large is the eccentric follower blank. Each has two sets of holes since two of each are needed. But, due to a CNC error (Count Not Correctly)   :facepalm:   I got too far out on the first set of the eccentrics and broke through the side. So went farther up the bar and did a replacement there.

So, next will saw the pieces off the bar and start cleaning them up in the lathe...
CNC error (Count Not Correctly) 
O I wish I had heard that one when I was working at CNC.
We were doing manual programing from drawings and a couple of times we had parts with hundereds of holes in them, and sometimes the drawings we were given were not the current version and there would be disagrements about the parts.
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4317 on: July 22, 2019, 05:20:15 PM »
This morning got the con rods and eccentric followers milled/sanded to profile:

and assembled onto the engine:

Here is a quick video of the parts going round and round...
[youtube1]https://youtu.be/0R4ApQlBllA[/youtube1]
With the cylinder slipped on, and the crank turned, there is smooth motion and good suction on the ends of the cylinders, so the piston rings are a good fit.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 05:35:51 PM by crueby »

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #4318 on: July 22, 2019, 05:39:24 PM »
Chris--Still doing great and moving right along. You are getting down to George Britnel size parts now.--Looking really good!!---Brian

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4319 on: July 22, 2019, 08:12:23 PM »
Thanks Brian - thats a very high goal! Someday I want to try one of his Tiny vertical engines, not quite there yet but working towards it.
 :cheers:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal